Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Very cool. Hudson fills that last void on Woodward

Whether or not the National Theatre gets saved, the facade is 100% guaranteed to be saved.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Very cool. Hudson fills that last void on Woodward
    Almost... still need Ilitch to build on the Comerica parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Yep. Got to say a TON of construction spending and employment in the next months and years ahead between the Monroe block, Hudsons, fail-jail site, this site, the new jail, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Yep. Got to say a TON of construction spending and employment in the next months and years ahead between the Monroe block, Hudsons, fail-jail site, this site, the new jail, etc.
    Not to mention the Gordie Howe Bridge... Construction resource availability is going to be even tighter over the next few years.

Yeh, heard about the apartment project but is it a sure thing? Worst case, if it remains a parking lot, at least the Stadium is viewable from the street. Not a total loss I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Yeh, heard about the apartment project but is it a sure thing? Worst case, if it remains a parking lot, at least the Stadium is viewable from the street. Not a total loss I guess.
    What apartment project? Do tell.

Shame there's no info on saving the National, or the cool 6 story Gothic building on Bates. It's hard to put preservation of those above what would a be a massive improvement for Downtown though... Campus Martius would have a lot better feel with this skyscraper filling in the last empty spot around it!

Astonishing is the correct word with this guy.

The speed that he operates at is just amazing on all his projects.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Astonishing is the correct word with this guy.

The speed that he operates at is just amazing on all his projects.
    I would agree with you, ABetterDetroit, for the most part. However, why is it taking so long to complete the micro-apartments at 24 Grand? I know it's opening this fall, but it feels like they have been working on it longer than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I would agree with you, ABetterDetroit, for the most part. However, why is it taking so long to complete the micro-apartments at 24 Grand? I know it's opening this fall, but it feels like they have been working on it longer than expected.
    I have a feeling that part of it may have to do with the amount of units they have and the fact that they are all getting custom cabinetry to maximize space. It does seem like they have been moving slow though compared to other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I have a feeling that part of it may have to do with the amount of units they have and the fact that they are all getting custom cabinetry to maximize space. It does seem like they have been moving slow though compared to other projects.
    It is also a new build. On renovations of even the most abandoned structures, there are still certain construction related things you can start doing on day one, that in a new build you have to delay the start for. New builds that aren't cookie cutters generally take much longer, as more unexpected/unforeseen issues tend to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    It is also a new build. On renovations of even the most abandoned structures, there are still certain construction related things you can start doing on day one, that in a new build you have to delay the start for. New builds that aren't cookie cutters generally take much longer, as more unexpected/unforeseen issues tend to come up.
    Or it is also possible that some guy in CoD gummint is being a roadblock until there is large enough set-a-side for "friends and family"

Curbed Detroit has the high-res images if you have not seen them already.

Even more images. This is going to be a great addition to the core.

Check it out via dezeen.

It would be neat to see the Hudson block renderings in that aerial view.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Even more images. This is going to be a great addition to the core.

Check it out via dezeen.
    Thanks for the link. The high-res overhead view gives a good idea of just how much density this project is adding to downtown.

I also like two of the sightlines - the one down Monroe to the Penobscot is nicely framed with the new towers on the left, and the one down Farmer to the Wayne County building is neat too.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It would be neat to see the Hudson block renderings in that aerial view.
    My quick and dirty "lol ms paint" attempt at showing the Hudson's massing:Name:  monroe-block-with-hudsons-massing.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  110.4 KB
    Last edited by Junjie; August-24-17 at 04:33 PM.

imo the beaux arts urban planning demands a clean continuous street wall, especially on Cadillac Square.

Some of the renderings show views which are physically impossible, and the building's design is not consistent across the renderings. I'm guessing the expensive looking renderings are more recent, which I'm glad for because I like that design better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    imo the beaux arts urban planning demands a clean continuous street wall, especially on Cadillac Square.

Some of the renderings show views which are physically impossible, and the building's design is not consistent across the renderings. I'm guessing the expensive looking renderings are more recent, which I'm glad for because I like that design better.
    I think the closeups of the lobby area of the main building are old.

My quick and dirty "lol ms paint" attempt at showing the Hudson's massing:Name:  monroe-block-with-hudsons-massing.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  110.4 KB
    Gosh, those lots across from the Water Board Building and around greektown sure are looking ripe for some hi-rises... Time to fill out downtown! Our overabundance of parking is embarrassing. Other cities are working quick to re-densify. Nashville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and others are all reducing their surface parking downtown.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; August-24-17 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Name:  21_Height-comparison-1170x509.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  70.8 KB

The more I break this project down the more I like it. So it looks like the official height will be 536' which is nice and in line with the surrounding buildings. Part of me wishes it were a bit taller but given the amount of space it will be feeling I am pretty pleased.

More can be found at the architects website http://www.shl.dk/monroe-blocks/

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Gosh, those lots across from the Water Board Building and around greektown sure are looking ripe for some hi-rises... Time to fill out downtown! Our overabundance of parking is embarrassing. Other cities are working quick to re-densify. Nashville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and others are all reducing their surface parking downtown.
    According to this Detnews article, there is plenty of unmet demand for housing units in downtown.

Time for more developers to pluck some good property and build up.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...oit/104928998/

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast