Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Monroe Block Development

Crains is reporting that the DDA will be meeting with an entity with ties to Gilbert tomorrow afternoon at 3 to hear about plans to develop the Monroe block. Multiple sources are saying to expect a 20 story office tower along with a residential development.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-20-stories-of

gilbert is UNSTOPPABLE. amazing news.. also trying to save the theater!!

From the article, it sounds like the theater may stay, but the other two buildings are going. Ultimately, a 20 story building will be a good thing, but I always liked the thin building across from the Water Board building: https://goo.gl/maps/GC7EczVFbQu

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    From the article, it sounds like the theater may stay, but the other two buildings are going. Ultimately, a 20 story building will be a good thing, but I always liked the thin building across from the Water Board building: https://goo.gl/maps/GC7EczVFbQu
    That little building is the Pochelon Building, built in 1913 for pioneering Detroit florist Albert Pochelon. When built, it had greenhouses on the roof and workshops on the upper floors for Pochelon's then-famous floral creations. The building next door at the corner was built several years later, in a similar style, as the headquarters of the Florists' Telegraph Delivery cooperative [[FTD). Pochelon and fellow Detroit florist [[and one term Mayor) Philip Breitmeyer were among the founders and officers of that organization. Pochelon was also involved in the DAC and was a leading ice yacht racer.

The corner building had a tearoom in it that became part of the heart of Detroit's gay community, which centered around the corner of Farmer and Bates into the late '60s. From WWII into the late '60s the streets around there were blocked off on Halloween for a large street party featuring drag performers.

The corner building was purchased and remodeled in the early '70s by the labor law firm that later became Sachs Waldman. They acquired the adjacent Pochelon Building a few years later, and remained in both buildings until Gilbert's organization purchased them a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-30-16 at 11:33 AM.

Default Does Detroit have enough people and traffic to support all this development?

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...s#.WD67-fnQchc

What is Gilbert going to do? Woo people from Chicago and Cleveland to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post

What you may see in the not too distant future is a growing number of young people reverse commuting. This started in Toronto, and I'm sure many U.S. cities about 10-15 yrs. ago. Young people want to live downtown, even if it means driving out to the burbs for their work. As a result, they are the ones buying cars, not those living and working in the city. In Toronto, the Gardiner Expwy is almost as busy outbound in the morning as inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    What you may see in the not too distant future is a growing number of young people reverse commuting. This started in Toronto, and I'm sure many U.S. cities about 10-15 yrs. ago. Young people want to live downtown, even if it means driving out to the burbs for their work. As a result, they are the ones buying cars, not those living and working in the city. In Toronto, the Gardiner Expwy is almost as busy outbound in the morning as inbound.
    This is nothing new. I lived downtown for over 10 years and commuted out to Auburn Hills. Many people near me did the same thing due to the lack of good jobs downtown.

Dan Gilbert is truly The " Donald Trump" of Detroit. I will be so exciting to see a new crystal-like building at the Monroe Block where and full line of Vaudeville Theaters once stood.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    This is nothing new. I lived downtown for over 10 years and commuted out to Auburn Hills. Many people near me did the same thing due to the lack of good jobs downtown.
    Agreed, but I'm sure with the growing number of amenities downtown, along with better housing options, it will become much more the norm than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Indeed.

The majority of good-paying jobs have been out in the suburbs since the 1980s [[Ford, Chrysler, The Warren Tech Center, GM Pontiac, Auto Suppliers, etc.).

That said, I have noticed a positive trend in the last 5 years. The traffic in and out of downtown during rush hour is getting progressively worse, which goes to show the sheer number of jobs that have been migrating from the suburbs to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post

He is out of room now, so building needs to start ASAP.
    That article last week said that they were considering moving people back out to the suburbs. A friend of mine who works for Title Source told me today that they have set up conference tables all around her area for people to use as temporary desks because they have no room. And they still have open positions, so who knows where they will go. It sounds like DG better get building and fast.
    Last edited by jmarie; November-30-16 at 08:33 PM.

Looks nice

So it's really a development of not only the Monroe block but also all the way up to Monroe/Randolph. I'd love to see what this looks like.

What are the chances that we keep a rendering or two of this development from the meeting?

The Free Press article references a rendering but does not show it.

They must have received it confidentially, pending today's mtg. I am sure it will be released after 3pm today.

Very curious, because a single development from CMP to Randolph St. has the potential to be a real superblock on par with the Compuware Bldg-- I hope [[and expect) that Bedrock has something less monolithic in mind.

I do not like any notion of demolishing the lovely 6-7 story neogothic structure behind the National Theatre on Bates St. Nor is there any justification for that given the amount of empty space the developer is already working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The Free Press article references a rendering but does not show it.

They must have received it confidentially, pending today's mtg. I am sure it will be released after 3pm today.

Very curious, because a single development from CMP to Randolph St. has the potential to be a real superblock on par with the Compuware Bldg-- I hope [[and expect) that Bedrock has something less monolithic in mind.

I do not like any notion of demolishing the lovely 6-7 story neogothic structure behind the National Theatre on Bates St. Nor is there any justification for that given the amount of empty space the developer is already working with.
    The article listed numerous separate buildings: 20 stories of office facing CM, 15 stories residential, and then "mid-rise" and "low-rise" buildings elsewhere on the block.

When the news broke my mind immediately went to the Ponchelon Building -- such a lovely edifice with great potential to contribute to the street life of our city. I hope it can be saved, but I also hope for skyscrapers all around it.

Great info. It can't be in such bad shape, then. The corner building certainly has significance but from a design standpoint it isn't the biggest contributor. The Pochelon Building is a gem and its from an era that is underrepresented downtown. I've seen historic photos of it decked out with extensive window box flowers, and I think it must be preserved. A very thoughtful redevelopment could be as a residence with themed bar/restaurant downstairs paying tribute to the buildings history. It is probably too small to be a profitable hotel, though the possibilities for a designy hotel are certainly there.

Here is the photo to which I think you're referring, of the building when it housed Pochelon's florist establishment. The shop was named L. Bemb Floral Co., after his mother, Louise Bemb, who started the business as a flower stall in the old Central Market in Cadillac Square after her immigration from Germany.

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries/pochelon-building-old-photos/
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-30-16 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Here is the photo to which I think you're referring, of the building when it housed Pochelon's florist establishment. The shop was named L. Bemb Floral Co., after his mother, Louise Bemb, who started the business as a flower stall in the old Central Market in Cadillac Square after her immigration from Germany.

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries/pochelon-building-old-photos/
    Thanks, Al, for all the information. I hope the Pochelon and FTD buildings can be saved. The low rise buildings shown in the Monroe block rendering give me hope that they can be incorporated.

This article provides a conceptual piece for all you conceptual art nerds out there.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rock/94628514/

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    This article provides a conceptual piece for all you conceptual art nerds out there.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rock/94628514/

interesting. speaks a lot to 1001 woodward. a reinterpreted twin!

If its 20 stories, why does it tower over the 16 story Compuware Building?

Also, why is the Compuware Building sunken into the ground?

Furthermore, are they proposing we move the Soliders and Sailors Monument?

Last edited by 1953; November-30-16 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Compuware has 14 above ground stories. The floors are labeled to 15, but there is no 13th floor.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

It is a conceptual rendering. You remove things and alter perspective to give the best possible view of what you are looking to do.

If you count the floors it looks to be well over 20. Im guessing that this is what they would like to do ideally, which looks to put it at the same height as Cadillac Tower. It may drop down to 20 depending on the financing.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast