Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Envelope factory

Why is that eyesore at I-94 and I-75 the envelope factory still standing? I used to think it was funny that there was a ghost factory there. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
    Why is that eyesore at I-94 and I-75 the envelope factory still standing? I used to think it was funny that there was a ghost factory there. Not anymore.
    There are numerous abandoned "ghost factories" in that area. Just look to the other side of Interstate 75 and you will see the hulking festering ruin of the Fisher Body plant casting an ugly image over a particularly rotten section of that city.

But in answer to your question as to why the building still stands, in many cases these edifices are owned by the city of Detroit and that city does not have the financial ability to raze facilities such as these. Often there is tremendous environmental remediation work which must be performed at great expense in conjunction with demolition.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; November-29-16 at 10:17 PM.

I think he knew that already.

Fact of life is and will always be is there are always going to be somebody that cannot see and prefers the demolish everything in thier line of site that they find offensive.

Because vacant parking lots are the bastions of a healthy city and just look o so sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    But in answer to your question as to why the building still stands, in many cases these edifices are owned by the city of Detroit and that city does not have the financial ability to raze facilities such as these. Often there is tremendous environmental remediation work which must be performed at great expense in conjunction with demolition.
    In addition, many of those building were built in the early days of reinforced concrete; to make sure they could handle the heavy factory equipment, they were over engineered. They are difficult to tear down.

Which building are you referring to?

Save them all. I think they are lovely, and just need some spit shine.

We'll be sorry later if we keep tearing down these extremely well-built industrial buildings now. They are a core part of our architectural heritage in Detroit. There's an enormous amount of potential in those buildings, as residential conversions, small business incubators, or even reuse for lighter manufacturing.

One thing for certain though, buildings like those will not be built again. Better they remain unused for a few more years, than we tear irreplaceable buildings down to create more of the one thing this city already has far too much of: emptiness.

I guess I just don't see the "value" in this particular building. I don't want to see every empty building torn down, but I feel this one is an offensive eyesore.
    Im inclined to agree with Archfan, who said it's just a difficult proposition to demolish.

always wondered what that building once was. took that route to work all thru the 80's/early 90's and as far as i remember, was empty back then.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
    I guess I just don't see the "value" in this particular building. I don't want to see every empty building torn down, but I feel this one is an offensive eyesore.
    Im inclined to agree with Archfan, who said it's just a difficult proposition to demolish.
    If/when downtown becomes too expensive, developing those buildings into offices or lofts could look more attractive, as we're just beginning to see in Milwaukee Junction. We may be very happy they're so hard to pull down.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    If/when downtown becomes too expensive, developing those buildings into offices or lofts could look more attractive, as we're just beginning to see in Milwaukee Junction. We may be very happy they're so hard to pull down.
    Who would want to live in a loft at the intersection of two major interstates and with the vile stench of a large incinerator a few hundred yards away? Who in their right mind would want to put up with the noise and the odor twenty four hours a day?

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Who would want to live in a loft at the intersection of two major interstates and with the vile stench of a large incinerator a few hundred yards away? Who in their right mind would want to put up with the noise and the odor twenty four hours a day?
    Your zip code explains a lot in that reply, I'm guessing you don't make the it to the city very often[[if ever). The simplest answer to your question is that people already do live in lofts in that area. In fact, Art Center the neighborhood northwest of the DIA, has seen quite a bit of development over the last decade and is a great area.

Let's look at Ferry/St Antoine literally down the street from the incinerator. The neighborhood doesn't look like the hell hole you make it out to be. And having known people who live/lived in the neighborhood while the incinerator does have it's bad days, it's hardly a 24/7 problem. North of I-94 hasn't seen has the same fortune, but with QLINE and everything else going in the surrounding it doesn't a rocket scientist to see the trends.

https://goo.gl/maps/xXUMiTWDTHP2
    Last edited by MSUguy; December-02-16 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Your zip code explains a lot in that reply, I'm guessing you don't make the it to the city very often[[if ever). The simplest answer to your question is that people already do live in lofts in that area. In fact, Art Center the neighborhood northwest of the DIA, has seen quite a bit of development over the last decade and is a great area.

Let's look at Ferry/St Antoine literally down the street from the incinerator. The neighborhood doesn't look like the hell hole you make it out to be. And having known people who live/lived in the neighborhood while the incinerator does have it's bad days, it's hardly a 24/7 problem. North of I-94 hasn't seen has the same fortune, but with QLINE and everything else going in the surrounding it doesn't a rocket scientist to see the trends.

https://goo.gl/maps/xXUMiTWDTHP2

The world changes fast downwind!

so what happened to the nightclub proposal from some German group, for one of those complexes?

I believe you are thinking of Dimitri Hegemann and Fisher Body #21 on Piquette. Hegemann amassed a small fortune by converting abandoned buildings in Berlin and Prague into venues for Detroit Techno. I infer that Detroit techno is more popular in Eastern Europe than it is here. In late 2014, he explored and talked about converting Fisher Body #21 into a venue for Detroit Techno. Presumably he had in might a night club, recording studios and, perhaps, lofts. I do not know if anything came from his exploration. It seems to me that I read somewhere he had also spoken with Fernando Palazuelo's agents about possible use of the potentially revived Packard Plant on East Grand