Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Nice places to run

Can anyone recommend any nice parks or tracks to run at? I don't like running on the street or running at places that have those "walkers".

Preferably someplace that I don't have to bring my SIG.

From your house to your car. And then from your car to whatever building you're going to.

And keep your head low.

Reverwalk? Dequindre Cut?

River Rouge, Chandler Park...

palmer park is wonderful

A B Ford Park at the foot of Dickerson/Lennox. Waterfront views. Good people there.

blksoul_x Guest

If you are from the city, Belle Island, by far, is the best choice. You can design your own particular route. Whether you want to run by the water, cut through the woods, or use many of the inner crossing streets, the Isle offers many options to challenge the average runner. Afterwards, take advantage of a shade tree, nice breeze, or relaxation at the edge of one of the Isle's water fronts.

By the way, weekends are a bit heavier with traffic and people. I would suggest running one of the less traveled areas on the Isle. Most people use the outer bike path to walk, run, bike, roller-blade etc. In the summer season, I typically stay away from that route.

blksoul-atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

Default Another rant about ignored parks

I love the riverwalk concept and development. Dequindre cut, very cool. Connor Creek greenways also great! I just don't understand why four eastside riverfront parks keep getting ignored in the grand big picture. I attend meetings to raise this profile and keep getting told "it is not in our plans".

From west to east the parks are Maharis Gentry, home to Think Detroit, little league Detroit ball players and a new fish hatchery park, A B Ford Park, Lakeside East and Mariners Park.

All of these parks are on the Detroit River. Little investment for their development. I see that they could be a significant part of a walking/biking trail but people in charge seem to wear blinders.

Anyone have a clue why this is so?

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Can anyone recommend any nice parks or tracks to run at? I don't like running on the street or running at places that have those "walkers".

Preferably someplace that I don't have to bring my SIG.
    blksoul is right, Belle Isle is the best.
    I used to get really sore if I didn't run on a track. Belle Isle has a pretty tolerable track, which is 1/4 mile around. There is a pull-up bar too, which I like. As blksoul pointed out, you can run around the bike path and make your own route.

I also like to bike to the Island and then run on the track.

If you are looking for a regulation, banked track, try the track at MLK High School. If you want a more casual, more neighborly setting, try the northern segment of Lafayette Park [[behind the Chrysler Elementary School). But then, if you want lots of ambient activity, jog the perimeter of Clark Park in Southwest.

Elmwood Cemetary. Very quiet and peaceful place to run. No kidding.

Now I have TOO MANY places to run. I guess I'll be a beast by the end of October.

blksoul_x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    blksoul is right, Belle Isle is the best.
    I used to get really sore if I didn't run on a track. Belle Isle has a pretty tolerable track, which is 1/4 mile around. There is a pull-up bar too, which I like.
    'Stink', I forgot about that ole' rusty track....! It is great to finish up a great jog with a sprint around 'ole rust! Seriously, it is a descent track. It is a gravel track, but it stays moist and dust free most of the time, which makes it a light impact on the body. If you choose to use 'ole rust', it is not a bad option.

'EJ', If you are like me, at times, running can become boring, so keep your options open during your daily run, like.....make sure to bring your b-ball, or soccer ball or hand ball, if you feel the urge to be spontanious, the sports courts is always an option to utilize within or after your run.

Also, another option during your daily run on the Isle, in the AM/or mid-day, [[before the kids show up), the childrens playscape area can provide some intense workouts....!

As most stated, there is other options, but, I think the Isle is at the top of the list!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

Not sure what area you're in, but Hines Park is a good place [[as long as it's not flooded). Hines Drive starts at Ford Road just west of Evergreen and runs from there all the way to Northville [[near 7 Mile and Sheldon). There are a lot good areas to run there. They have a path that runs through much of the park, and a wide area next to the road that can be used as well. It floods out in some areas when we get a lot of rain.

Another option on the west side is the greenway along Patton Park. There's also a connection to nearby Lapeer Park [[Dearborn) which has a nice paved loop as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Crew View Post
    Elmwood Cemetary. Very quiet and peaceful place to run. No kidding.
    I concur...

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I love the riverwalk concept and development. Dequindre cut, very cool. Connor Creek greenways also great! I just don't understand why four eastside riverfront parks keep getting ignored in the grand big picture. I attend meetings to raise this profile and keep getting told "it is not in our plans".

From west to east the parks are Maharis Gentry, home to Think Detroit, little league Detroit ball players and a new fish hatchery park, A B Ford Park, Lakeside East and Mariners Park.

All of these parks are on the Detroit River. Little investment for their development. I see that they could be a significant part of a walking/biking trail but people in charge seem to wear blinders.

Anyone have a clue why this is so?
    Probably because they are far away from downtown, in largely forgotten far eastside neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods in that area, south of Jefferson, have some really impressive [[but poorly maintained) housing stock, excluding the two residential blocks bordering Grosse Pointe - Manistique & Ashland - which are half-gone and very dilapidated.

Martin Luther King high school track is a good place. It is on Detroit's eastisde on Lafayette and Mt Elliot