Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default MJR to renovate movie theater at Dequindre & 12 Mile

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...rren/87967364/

I frequently went to this Cinemark theater in the former Universal Mall plaza [[okay, technically I guess this complex is still called that, but anyway...) to see certain films that had already been released for at least a couple of months and were largely phased out of the first-run outlets. The ticket cost went up to a flat $3 in the past year, whereas before it had ranged from 50 cents to $2.50 depending on what day of the week and what time of day that you went.

I was alarmed when I found that the outlet's website didn't list any movies shown in the past two weeks, and a trip there confirmed the closed status. Then I did a web search and found this article in the Detroit News.

Apparently the MJR company will lease the property, do renovations, and rebrand this outlet to show first-run movies.

Already the MJR chain is fairly prolific in the metro area. [[And I am well aware that they are Michigan-owned.) I wonder how much, if any, business this will siphon from the other MJR outlets [[or AMC) in the area. I guess it's time to get ready for the "clap! clap! clap!" intro song whenever this place reopens.

Just speaking for myself, I enjoyed seeing certain films for the first or second time at a discount. The food and drinks were the same cost, of course, lol [[buy candy before you come!). Especially on weekends, there would be plenty of people in line- families, seniors, I also noticed groups of adult developmentally-disabled folks from time to time, chaperoned.

Outside of second-run major studio releases, this outlet also showed lots of Bollywood Indian culture films. I wonder will this aspect be abandoned or will it continue?

Well that just leaves the new Southland theater as the lone Cinemark-branded-and-operated theater in the state of Michigan [[I know that Cinemark also owns the Rave locations including the one at I-94 and US 23, but those, if I remember correctly, still bear the Rave name).

Continuing with this, I first heard about this Warren renovation in an article a while ago about upcoming renovations to the existing MJR location in Southgate where the traditional seats that have served since November 6, 1998 will be taken out and replaced with luxurious-style leather seating during early 2017.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-26-16 at 01:14 PM.

I'm bummed, because we liked to see the discounted movies. However, this is a great sign for Metro-Detroit and especially Warren\Madison Heights.

MJR is making a significant investment to upgrade a facility. The Universal Mall complex is far from perfect, but it is amazingly important to Warren that the site stayed viable and leased. Having a big eyesore would have been a bummer.

Fun Fact: The Mayor's house backs up to this parcel.

Aww man, I loved a good $5 movie that I didn't immediately catch. With Emagine RO and AMC John R nearby, this doesn't do much for me. Oh well.

I've been going to that Cinemark since the early 90s and have caught a large number of movies there in the past 3 years especially. I, for one, will miss it. Won't be going to that MJR as I almost never shell out to see Hollywood movies first run. [[I'll make an exception for Rogue One in 3 weeks.) If I do go see a first run movie I won't go to MJR cause they always play that godawful MJR theme song that absolutely drives me up the wall.
    There still is one second run theater in the metro area , in Allen Park. Unfortunately, it's MJR so they play that annoying song but I'll just try to get there right as the movie starts so I miss it.

It's criminal that they still use the song in 2016... Although I must admit that when I hear it I do "the clap".

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    If I do go see a first run movie I won't go to MJR cause they always play that godawful MJR theme song that absolutely drives me up the wall.

How long have they been using that song? It's been in use at the Southgate location I believe since it opened in 1998 [[though of course the trailer accompanying it has changed each year).
    Last edited by mtburb; November-28-16 at 02:01 PM.

I started going to MJR when they tore down the Showcase Cinemas in Sterling Heights and built a brand new theatre. Probably around 2005 or so. The song has stayed the same, though they update the video every so often.

This is not an improvement for me. Caught a lot of cheap [[and sometimes bad) movies at the Universal. I'm unlikely to go over there for a regular price movie. There isn't a shortage of first-run places.

Read something today that mentioned MJR also owning facilities in Grand Blanc, Grand Rapids and Lansing. Did they actually ever own theaters there?

Here is there currently list of locations: http://www.mjrtheatres.com/locations

The movie theater is open now!

I browsed the lobby area- looks like the old arcade and jewelry store are gone and those spaces walled up. There is a bar area that serves alcohol, and I presume some limited hot food.
    There is an open-air ticket counter.
    There is a traditional refreshments stand.
    There are multiple self-service kiosks to buy tickets.
    Prices have jumped up since I was last at an MJR-- matinee prices are $7 for adults, they used to be $6. I don't know if it's at this location only or if it's at all of them. Not entirely unpredictable, I suppose.
    I'll see if I can check something out this weekend. Hmm.