Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WSU PD Officer Dies from Gunshot Wound to Head

Ugh.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/w...g-shot-in-head

A Wayne State University police officer has died after he was shot in the head Tuesday night in Detroit, the Wayne State University police Chief Tony Holt confirmed. Holt said officer Collin Rose, of St. Clair Shores, passed away at 5:35 p.m. Wednesday.

A person of interest in the shooting, who is now being called a suspect, was arrested Tuesday night.

Senseless tragedy. Deepest sympathies to his loved ones.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; November-24-16 at 12:06 AM.

Five this week across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Five this week across the country.
    3 in Detroit within the past couple of months. Sickening.

From a Facebook page:

SO sad to here this. Withstanding misconduct from some LEO's this kind of thing has no justification whatsoever. Condolences to his friends and family.

Shot by a po-folk thug! That's life in the ghetto hoods of Detroit.

We will read about it, shake our heads, and next week it will be a vague memory. His family and loved ones will never be the same. Let's show some respect and admiration for police officers we meet, daily. They are people, and nearly all good folks. Just say thank you, good afternoon, whatever. It would be a nasty, cruel world without them. Peace and condolences to the family.
    Last edited by Bobl; November-23-16 at 10:15 PM.

I really hope they have evidence to prove the Suspect nee Person of Interest is the right guy.

After spending a few years on campus down there, it feels like there are plenty of low class thugs frequenting the Wayne State campus area who have no respect for police or the law, and without solid & non-anecdotal evidence to lock the Suspect up, he will be back out on the streets in no time.

A warm summer night on Canfield near Second, late 1960s. A house party raving on, it was decided to do a nude conga line, with tambourines, down the sidewalk. Wayne State police show up: "13th precinct will be here in about thirty seconds. You all do not want to be here when they arrive." A mad rush to get inside followed. Just in case, several joints and some hits of LSD were flushed down the toilet. Yes, long before the current gentrification of the area, the Cass Corridor had its more peaceful, albeit interesting moments. No police officers were shot in the years I lived there.
    Last edited by Bobl; November-23-16 at 11:12 PM.

Very sad, Officer Rose and his family will be in my prayers.

Well stated B, and the bolded areas need to be especially noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    We will read about it, shake our heads, and next week it will be a vague memory. His family and loved ones will never be the same. Let's show some respect and admiration for police officers we meet, daily. They are people, and nearly all good folks. Just say thank you, good afternoon, whatever. It would be a nasty, cruel world without them. Peace and condolences to the family.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-24-16 at 09:31 AM.

This incident bothers me...

I was an undergrad at WSU during the late 1980s and early 1990s. Pretty much everywhere south of Forest and west of the Lodge was a no-go zone. But I don't remember any cops getting killed then.

^^^ I would say the 'no-go zone' boundaries have extended well beyond what you describe now, but one should still take care of their surroundings at all times. Yet the GO ZONES have expanded as we see development in the area.

The WSU police have done a great job at patrolling the area, and I am certain beyond what happened to Rose they will take more precautions when approaching someone who appears to posing a problem.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-16 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I try not to forget these gentlemen who die in the line of duty. I hate that this keeps happening. God Bless to his family, friends and co-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I would say the 'no-go zone' boundaries have extended well beyond what you describe now, but one should still take care of their surroundings at all times. Yet the GO ZONES have expanded as we see development in the area.

The WSU police have done a great job at patrolling the area, and I am certain beyond what happened to Rose they will take more precautions when approaching someone who appears to posing a problem.
    What are the no go zones around the Wayne state campus? I am not all that familiar with that area.

^^^ Hah. Detroit can be a block-by-block study in contrasts re. good areas vs. crime and places to not go. First off use good common sense and don't violate your senses when you feel uncomfortable where ever you are. Having said that, some would summarize that anything outside of 48202 relative to WSU area is a 'no-go' zone which was my focus for my response to the thread. I don't quite adhere fully due to the variables, re. development, crime and policing.

I recall when the Cass Corridor area was a no go zone for WSU students, setting aside those more familiar with rougher ares you find in many big cities. NOW it's the spot to be and live, so the trend goes. Additionally, ANYTHING West Grand Blvd used to be no-go unless you skipped north of Euclid heading into the Boston/ Edison area. Now I see college students moving in up thru to Clairmont, along Woodward corridor going north.

HOWEVER, there are areas beyond and around Clairmont remaining sketchy and no-go, heading into areas of Highland Park, or east of Oakland, beyond the John R, Brush areas that border CCS, DIA etc. Additionally, beyond WSU campus, Warren ave area, beyond and Grand River can be VERY rough. I'm a native Detroit, very familiar with these areas. Lived in Woodbridge at one point which borders WSU campus. And the Grand River area which can be very dicey and desolate at points and dangerous as seen with WSU officer Rose altercation.

If you're not security minded, take care. Particularly, again along Grand River, beyond Woodbridge up thru West Grand. It is sad that the the Warren area up thru and past Vinewood onward to the West Grand intersection there is very empty and vagrant.

These areas were once solid working class. Now so many these areas have high crime, unsolved crimes, wide open fields and far too many homes not occupied [[zip code 48206 and 208). Take care and follow your mind to change your setting when you feel unsafe.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-03-16 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    without solid & non-anecdotal evidence to lock the Suspect up, he will be back out on the streets in no time.
    I'm sorry to say that I was right in this case:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...se-murder-case

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/c...ed-sources-say
    Last edited by Malcove Magnesia; December-06-16 at 08:46 PM.

ClickOnDetroit reports that DNA evidence connects Collin Rose's murder to a guy in custody for shooting two Detroit police officers. Excellent!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/w...-sergeant-rose

His family says he has mental problems. Neighbor said he was intimidating when he had his gun out. SOMEONE KNEW HE SHOT OFFICER COLIN ROSE. HIS FAMILY, HIS STREET FRIENDS. WHY DID IT TAKE THE SHOOTING OF TWO OTHER OFFICERS BEFORE THEY GOT THEIR MAN? THE "NO SNITCH" MENTALITY IS ALIVE AND WELL IN DETROIT.

One would understand the can relate to anger,but that mentality is not reserved for just Detroit,it is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    His family says he has mental problems. Neighbor said he was intimidating when he had his gun out. SOMEONE KNEW HE SHOT OFFICER COLIN ROSE. HIS FAMILY, HIS STREET FRIENDS. WHY DID IT TAKE THE SHOOTING OF TWO OTHER OFFICERS BEFORE THEY GOT THEIR MAN? THE "NO SNITCH" MENTALITY IS ALIVE AND WELL IN DETROIT.
    They said he had mental problem that isn't proof they knew he shot Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    They said he had mental problem that isn't proof they knew he shot Rose.
    matching gun ballistics & DNA evidence would be proof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast