Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Life in Auburn Hills after the Pistons

With the announcements today of the Pistons' move to the Little Caesar's Arena next year and the subsequent demolition of the Palace, I'd thought we discuss how we will expect to see an Auburn Hills without the Pistons.

Even without the Pistons, Auburn Hills will still at least continue to have a number of huge employers within it's borders for years to come, including the Chrysler Headquarters, Great Lakes Crossing and Oakland University. But how long will these last without the Pistons though? Will Auburn Hills not be much different in the future than now, will it continue growing or will it just start plummeting down an endless cliff of blight [[which seems too unlikely right now given that the Pistons have been somewhat unsuccessful during their stay in Auburn Hills)?

Anything could happen in Auburn Hills after the Pistons return to the city of Detroit next year, it's just that the scenarios and outcomes are way too complex to be detailed by one person here, so that's where your comments come in.
    Last edited by mtburb; November-22-16 at 10:00 PM.

Why would anything really change? The pistons in auburn hills have terrible attendance and there's like one bar in the area, that's ciccarelli's across the street. It's not like people are driving from all over to go to pistons games and subsequently support auburn hills. It's in the middle of nowhere, auburn hills will be just fine.

Honestly, I think losing the kid-geared shows at the Palace will hurt more than losing concerts or the Pistons. Since they are typically earlier in the day, they allow for more casual dining or wandering the mall.
    However, I don't see a huge impact. I know I've never really hung around before or after an event.

There's literally two restaurants that will be affected; Hoops and Ciccarelli's. I feel for the owners there, and hopefully they can come up with a plan. Otherwise, all the other restaruants are pretty much centered around OU. It'll be business as usual.

I don't feel bad for Auburn Hills at all. They'll put the land to good use after the Palace is demolished. Auburn Hills will continue to attract companies of various sizes due to it's location, low taxes, good services, etc.

This from Crains. Is anyone else as shocked as I am to learn the Palace was only paying $174K per year for taxes??? The equivalent of about 30 $200K value houses? If I'm Auburn Hills I'd be offering to help them move.

"Auburn Hills Mayor Kevin McDaniel said Monday night that the city has not been contacted by Pistons officials about the move.

“It’s disappointing for Auburn Hills, but was anticipated,” he said. “The final disposition of the arena [[The Palace), we are interested in finding out what the plans will be. They are unknown. I’m not sure if he [[Gores) plans to demolish it or redevelop the land, but I have every reason to believe Mr. Gores will do what’s right in terms of the arena.”

McDaniel said the value of the properties “far exceeds” the cost to demolish the palace.

“And any R&D park would almost certainly pay more in taxes than is paid today,” which is about $174,000 per year, McDaniel said."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rning-20161122

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This from Crains. Is anyone else as shocked as I am to learn the Palace was only paying $174K per year for taxes??? The equivalent of about 30 $200K value houses? If I'm Auburn Hills I'd be offering to help them move.
    How much does Ilitch pay a year, Lowell? After all the write-offs and "losses", I mean.

1. If you go to the Palace, you go for the event and when you leave, you go home.

2. The Palace actually detracts from the quality of life for the people who live near there because of traffic problems. Most will be happy to see the Pistons and the Palace go.

3. Great Lakes Crossing is in no way dependent on the Palace for its success.

Soon after it's demolished there will be deer, pheasant and other wildlife roaming the area. Wait, they have that now.

build some cool apartments and a shopping plaza, be sure to include an arcade with throwback games

I think Auburn Hills will be just fine, minus the restaurants and bars near the Palace.

I would expect to see the Palace demolished and replaced with an office park for tech companies, especially focused on automotive being that Chrysler is right down the road.

It is a sucky ex urb with no character and no reason to go there with a sports team. In the future, it will be a sucky ex urb with no character and no reason to go there without a sports team.

Little will change and little will be appealing about it

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It is a sucky ex urb with no character and no reason to go there with a sports team. In the future, it will be a sucky ex urb with no character and no reason to go there without a sports team.

Little will change and little will be appealing about it
    Might not seem sucky for a young couple with a family who are looking for a reasonably priced house in a decent secure area with decent schools. Or, it might not seem sucky for an older couple with no kids who don't care about schools. Not everyone can afford a condo up the street from the DIA.

The wrecking ball can be the start of a new landfill. Looks like the neighboring one is nearly full.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Might not seem sucky for a young couple with a family who are looking for a reasonably priced house in a decent secure area with decent schools. Or, it might not seem sucky for an older couple with no kids who don't care about schools. Not everyone can afford a condo up the street from the DIA.
    It is sucky compared to most suburbs as well.I'm not comparing it strictly to some hipster version of Detroit but the myriad options of living in SE Michigan.

Overall, give me one thing about AH that would make me choose it over other suburban options?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It is sucky compared to most suburbs as well.I'm not comparing it strictly to some hipster version of Detroit but the myriad options of living in SE Michigan.

Overall, give me one thing about AH that would make me choose it over other suburban options?
    It would depend on where you worked. I would want an easy commute preferably living east of my job [[sun behind you morning and evening on the drive). I would want good schools and reasonable access to decent shopping choices in places where there are real shops instead of trendy "shoppes".