Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Sanborn Maps

Default Sanborn Maps

The Library of Congress has recently made available with free access a nice online collection of Sanborn maps.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn-maps/

The Michigan collection is here:

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanb...ion%3Amichigan

Did I mention free access?
    Last edited by Crystal; November-20-16 at 04:29 PM.

How do you search these maps?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    The Library of Congress has recently made available with free access a nice online collection of Michigan Sanborn maps.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanb...ion%3Amichigan

Did I mention free access?
    Wow. Thanks. That's quite a Thanksgiving banquet!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-20-16 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks so Jimaz's post, I edited the first post to include the main LOC Sanborn page.

Wow, that is awesome! Very nice high resolution images of these maps. Thanks for the link!

The most recent Detroit maps are from the 1890s, I hope they add more recent ones.

Thank you for the links [[but boy did I stay up too late looking at them)!

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-17-074/?loclr=fbloc-new

Nudging this back to the top because the LOC writes "more to be added monthly".

Still nothing newer than 1897 for Detroit maps.

Default Demolished Filling Station at 11988 Rosa Parks Blvd.

Can anyone tell me how to locate a Sanborn Detroit volume that includes the intersection of 12th Street [[now Rosa Parks) and Elmhurst? I'm trying to find out information about a [[now demolished) filling station at or near 11988 Rosa Parks Blvd., Detroit. I'm assuming it probably was built in the 1920s. TIA
    Last edited by kbreenbo; April-13-20 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Included "Sanborn"

Default Sanborn Maps - more recent vintage of Detroit Maps available.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Still nothing newer than 1897 for Detroit maps.
    The Lib of Congress contains many maps of Detroit newer than 1897. I've just been viewing Vol 3 - 1921. Titled Congested District. A number of the maps also cover the period from the 20's to 1950.

Perform a search in alphabetical order, 150 items to a page. You will eventually find what you need. There must be over a thousand maps for Michigan alone.

Fascinating material, especially comparing the Sanborn maps to present day Google maps. I'm now curious about a building that looked to be apartments or townhouses at 7401 Brush St. - Royal Court. Google Street View only shows vacant lots. I'm also interested in what must have been a stage and auditorium at 331 Bethune, now only vacant lots. The Michigan Life Insurance Building was located on the Sanborn maps at 2988 E Grand Blvd, but only a vacant lot can be found today. I only wish the buildings identified on the map could be linked with photos from the period.

Quote Originally Posted by kbreenbo View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to locate a Sanborn Detroit volume that includes the intersection of 12th Street [[now Rosa Parks) and Elmhurst? I'm trying to find out information about a [[now demolished) filling station at or near 11988 Rosa Parks Blvd., Detroit. I'm assuming it probably was built in the 1920s. TIA
    Thanks for giving me a research project. Here's a little of what I found:

The address you mention of 11988 12th does not appear to have ever existed. I'm going to assume you used Google maps to come up with an approximation address for the general area of 12th and Elmhurst.

The 1925 Sanborn for that area shows two "filling stations" in the neighborhood. The first is at 12134 12th, and the other is at 11701 12th.

The 1920-1921 Polk Directory shows open real estate on 12th from Calvert north to Richton.

The 1925-1926 Polk shows Detroit Industrial Oil Co filling station listed only as the NE corner of 12th and Monterey which would be the 12134 address as shown in the 1925 Sanborn. Also, the 11701 12th address shows the Indian Refrigeration Company owning that parcel with no mention of a filling station.

The 1928-1929 Polk shows the same information as the '25-'26.

The 1937 Polk shows the 12134 12th address changed to 12100, still a filling station, with ownership listed as Jacob Emmer. The 11701 12th is now listed as 11701-5, and changed from Indian Refrigeration to a filling station owned by Everett J. Neal.

It's interesting to me that the 1925 Sanborn shows both properties outlined above as filling stations, but ownership by the Indian Refrigeration Co. of the 11701 property. Perhaps they leased it out. I can dive deeper into the Polks for more info, but I wanted to post this info as I assume you're looking for a family connection and I wanted to be sure I had the right name you were looking for. I've attached two screens from the Sanborn highlighting the two filling stations.

There is still what looks like a gas station structure at the 12100 12th address at Monterey.

If you have more for me to go on I'd happily put in more research for you.

Name:  12100 Station 1925.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  11701 Station 1925.JPG
Views: 1086
Size:  129.3 KB
    Last edited by Krawlspace; April-15-20 at 11:10 AM.

That would be the southeast corner of the intersection. Not sure if/when there was a filling station there. That block was occupied by the Detroit Tuberculosis Sanitarium.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    That would be the southeast corner of the intersection. Not sure if/when there was a filling station there. That block was occupied by the Detroit Tuberculosis Sanitarium.
    Good to see you, Mike!

I came to the conclusion that the address was bad from the Polks.

1920-21 shows a jump from 11847 to 12158.
    1925-26 shows a jump from 11847 to 12025.
    1928-29 shows a jump from 11847 to 12001.

Hi Robert! Still alive and kicking.

Not sure when the sanitarium was built. 1909~1911 time frame. Most references list its address as Tuxedo at 12th. Hard to imagine the area being so rural. Sanborn from 1925. Undated photos from the Virtual Motor City but probably before the 1920s. 12th Street between Tuxedo and Elmhurst would be behind the nurse in the photo. The DSR ran up 12th and turned east across the north side of the property to join Oakman, where it turned north again.

Name:  DTS.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  tb4.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  tb3.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  tb5.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  64.5 KB

Here's a pic from 2005. Building says "Garage" and has been torn down since. <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpho to.php%3Ffbid%3D10206093542830033%26set%3Da.400940 5305970%26type%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="377" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

No pic.... Can you link to it?

MikeM,
    These two pics were absconded from eBay in 2011.
    Says the pics were 1920s.Name:  1920sDetroitTuberculosisSanatorium.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  72.0 KB

1920sName:  1920sDetroitTuberculosisSanatorium[[1).jpg
Views: 669
Size:  84.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    MikeM,
    These two pics were absconded from eBay in 2011.
    Says the pics were 1920s.
    The second photo is the office in the center of the complex. Not sure about the first photo. Maybe the back side or a different building?

Online searches seem to turn up photos of other sanitariums labeled Detroit, such as Maybury, Eloise, Ypsilanti...