Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Under Armour to open downtown Detroit store

1201 Woodward. Looks like it will be more than a factory store that Nike has down the street.

Full story from Crain's.

Just about to post this myself...just wanted to say how exciting next holiday season will be with more stores downtown. Niketown, Moosejaw, Warby Parker, John Varvatos, Kit and Ace, Bonobos, Under Armour, Vault of Midnight, Detroit is the New Black...we need some jewelry, women's, and the announcement of a City Target haha

Also I passed by the London Luggage Shop last weekend and I was wondering if it would behoove them to open a location downtown. I know they've been there for decades, so they're doing something right, but such a longstanding institution could be nice to have downtown.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; November-20-16 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Just about to post this myself...just wanted to say how exciting next holiday season will be with more stores downtown. Niketown, Moosejaw, Warby Parker, John Varvatos, Kit and Ace, Bonobos, Under Armour, Vault of Midnight, Bonobos, Detroit is the New Black...we need some jewelry, women's, and the announcement of a City Target haha

Also I passed by the London Luggage Shop last weekend and I was wondering if it would behoove them to open a location downtown. I know they've been there for decades, so they're doing something right, but such a longstanding institution could be nice to have downtown.
    Do we know where Bonobos is going and where?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Just about to post this myself...just wanted to say how exciting next holiday season will be with more stores downtown. Niketown, Moosejaw, Warby Parker, John Varvatos, Kit and Ace, Bonobos, Under Armour, Vault of Midnight, Bonobos, Detroit is the New Black...we need some jewelry, women's, and the announcement of a City Target haha

More hope for a Target store:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...2TT9BahCGdaECw

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Do we know where Bonobos is going and where?
    No, only the announcement that it's looking. I suspect it will be here before next fall/winter though.

That block looks great save for the Fowler. Anyone know who owns it and if there is a plan for it's renovation?

This is great news for lower Woodward.
    if this keeps up it will attract more retail ?

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalescotty23 View Post
    That block looks great save for the Fowler. Anyone know who owns it and if there is a plan for it's renovation?
    haha...it looks that way because its owned by Sequioa 1225 Woodward LLC, who also own...you guessed it the CPA building in corktown.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    1201 Woodward. Looks like it will be more than a factory store that Nike has down the street.

Full story from Crain's.
    This is great news. I still had wished that Restoration Hardware would had taken that spot. It had been reported that Art Van may be moving to midtown where Saks once were. I had thought that Art Van or Restoration Hardware should had focused on Jefferson near downtown Detroit inside one of the strip malls. I rather see one of them there than a ghetto type furniture store that sells car rims

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    haha...it looks that way because its owned by Sequioa 1225 Woodward LLC, who also own...you guessed it the CPA building in corktown.
    Ugh I had no idea they owned that as well. Fingers crossed they don't try to tear that down as well... Perhaps whoever they sell the CPA too will ask about the Fowler in a larger deal. Paging DG...

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Ugh I had no idea they owned that as well. Fingers crossed they don't try to tear that down as well... Perhaps whoever they sell the CPA too will ask about the Fowler in a larger deal. Paging DG...
    Well he has helped us rid Detroit of DDI, now lets get him on Sequioa and with any luck Triple properties.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Well he has helped us rid Detroit of DDI, now lets get him on Sequioa and with any luck Triple properties.
    I am thankful for all DG has done, but at some point the city needs to start cracking down in a meaningful way on the Seqoias, Triples, etc.

Until there's an actual stick, and not just a slap on the wrist, it makes some business sense for these bad actors to take advantage of the situation. The city is the only one who can really crack down, and the punishment needs to be strong enough that "developers" won't want to be squatters.

Same group that owns the CPA bldg. in Corktown I believe...I was surprised by that purchase. If the price was anywhere within reason DG would have grabbed it but I hear its outlandishly overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I am thankful for all DG has done, but at some point the city needs to start cracking down in a meaningful way on the Seqoias, Triples, etc.

Until there's an actual stick, and not just a slap on the wrist, it makes some business sense for these bad actors to take advantage of the situation. The city is the only one who can really crack down, and the punishment needs to be strong enough that "developers" won't want to be squatters.
    Most of these owners whom sat on these buildings for years without developing these buildings had a friend inside city government

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post

Full story from Crain's.
    Will it take over the whole entire space of two storefronts or just the corner one. This will be a sucess especially after Warby Parker sucessful Grand Opening. I think that the Outlet Store concept is perfect for the area. I had noticed smaller restuarnts such as Firehouse Subs had quietly opened in Midtown. I would love to see Art Van or Restoration Hardware open on the Woodward Grand Blvd end of Midtown. I still would love to see a Meijer, Walmart, or Target open on Jefferrson whether in one of the strip malls near downtown or empty land that run along Jefferson from downtown to Grand Blvd