Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Eddystone Hotel Update

Very interesting tidbit at the very bottom of the article

"Work on the historic Eddystone Hotel will start roughly a year after the arena is finished, as required by a development agreement. Work on the 50-block district is expected to start sometime after the arena, though Wilson didn’t provide details Thursday."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...sign/94043314/

Finally a bit of an update, although subject to change. I still don't get why they would want to have a hulking blown out eyesore sitting in the shadow of their shiny new arena being splashed all over national television.

I thought it would be a year before they begin the rehab which seems silly. I can't believe they'd want to have that empty building looming down on their shiny new arena for a year. Oh who am I kidding, yes I can.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalescotty23 View Post
    I thought it would be a year before they begin the rehab which seems silly. I can't believe they'd want to have that empty building looming down on their shiny new arena for a year. Oh who am I kidding, yes I can.
    Based on what I saw in D.C. around Nationals Park, the stadium was finished first and then development work began later.

I think they have plenty to worry about because of the nature of the structure with some ancillary [[if that is the word) components to the arena with an open design [[unlike other stadia/arena which are usually simply self contained hulks).

I've always felt it was the arena and parking garages [[which need to be up) and then the Eddystone and streetscaping, etc. etc.

Think of it this way: What are the highest priorities? Parking, team offices, team stores, eateries, etc. or the Eddystone?

Other than sharing contiguous physical space, Eddystone is very much independent [[functionally) of the rest of the arena project.

And if one wants to prioritize buildings other than the arena and parking garages, the Ilitch School of Business is a higher priority as it fronts on Woodward.
    Last edited by emu steve; November-18-16 at 09:59 AM.

What are the highest priorities for an entity that exists only to profit off of entertainment while leveraging public funds?

What are the highest priorities for an entity that profits from building community and a livable environment for residents?

The answers represent the difference between Olympia and Bedrock [[and most other developers not named Olympia).

To be clear, therefore, Emu is describing priorities from the perspective of a developer that has never constructed a residence in the City of Detroit, as opposed to a rationale developer. If there's a course on real estate development at the "Illitch" Business School, let's hope Dan Gilbert is the professor....

I'll believe it when I see it. Will bet that Illitch will hold out for massive subsidies, and/or claim that he needs more parking moats around his fortress arena complex.

This relates, in my mind, to the status of the UA building. That thing is in a prime location for development of a ton of housing units, which are in huge demand downtown. And there's no word of a single thing being done with that building. This makes me think anything happening with the Eddystone is unlikely as well other than mothballing it to become a bit more attractive from the outside.

If it isn't surface parking, it isn't Olympia.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...sign/94043314/

Finally a bit of an update, although subject to change. I still don't get why they would want to have a hulking blown out eyesore sitting in the shadow of their shiny new arena being splashed all over national television.
    I imagine by that time they will say it cannot be salvaged and request to tear it down. After all, consider who we are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    This relates, in my mind, to the status of the UA building. That thing is in a prime location for development of a ton of housing units, which are in huge demand downtown. And there's no word of a single thing being done with that building. This makes me think anything happening with the Eddystone is unlikely as well other than mothballing it to become a bit more attractive from the outside.
    Exactly! What's left of the Fine Arts Building is equally disturbing, perfect prime high end apartment location on the park. He just needs to look across the park for the proof, but noooo.

All that can be expected is "renderings" and "in a few years" followed by a endless supply of excuses on why residential of any kind was not possible. Then more demos and surface lots for "entertainment".

Residents are now moving into the Eddystone after such a long time.

https://ilitchnewshub.com/2021/12/historic-eddystone-welcomes-first-residential-tenants/

https://www.eddystonedetroit.com/

I’ll give credit where credit is due. Despite the foot dragging and basically being forced to rehab the place, from what I can tell it’s a decent job.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-13-21 at 01:04 PM.

A few tenants are moving in.

Nice to see, now start moving on the UA Theatre, build out the remaining buildings in the District Detroit, infill the Comerica Park Woodward parking lots with developments, build the hotel next to LCA, rehab The American hotel and Detroit Lift Buildings, and develop 75% of the surface lots you own. Then, maybe, I'll feel a tad bit better about Olympia.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Nice to see, now start moving on the UA Theatre, build out the remaining buildings in the District Detroit, infill the Comerica Park Woodward parking lots with developments, build the hotel next to LCA, rehab The American hotel and Detroit Lift Buildings, and develop 75% of the surface lots you own. Then, maybe, I'll feel a tad bit better about Olympia.
    Amen

This video only shows two people moving in. Knowing the Ilitches, that may be all that move in, lol.