Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Good Luck and Goodbye.
    Sir or madam, I found the debate to be insightful. It was good to see other peoples perspectives.

One thing you'll want on the internet is thicker skin. Especially when you're bringing up a topic like this.

At one point during the discussion you accuse black people of being hypersensitive to labels. Just keep in mind that you're leaving the site with the same hypersensitive ruffled feathers that you perceive black people to have.

Default Who are you to judge

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character".

He would weep if he could see how people have forgotten his dream!

Name:  color-2.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  113.3 KB

Unfortunately or fortunately for some, this will be my last entry on this website. My original start for this thread asked for sensible dialog on the title of a job fair in the city.

I grew up in Detroit and attended a predominantly Black/Hispanic high school so I had a first hand experience with the prejudices and attitudes between the races. One thing I did experience was the camaraderie between my fellow back students and I. I grew up on the lower East Side and commuted to the neighborhood around the 12th. street Grand River area for high school. I saw a lot of racial prejudice which was well founded at the time. The one thing I noticed that as I spent time with my classmates [[some white, mostly Black and Latino) the attitude changed. I can't say I was accepted but I was treated as an equal mostly because we were from similar backgrounds.
    What I'm getting at is, after starting this thread that the same old misconceptions and stone throwing are still there. I see a lot of animosity still exists. I asked for dialog without the racial mudslinging and look what happened here. I don't know if this city can ever be rebuilt without rebuilding attitudes toward one another. It takes more than brick and mortar and Q-Lines and arenas. It takes a total change in the underlying hatred that still exists.

There were a lot of well meaning posts here but as is often the case on this website, it turned into a temper tantrum between angry people. So in ending, I am so sorry we still can't establish constructive conversation without the mudslinging.

Good Luck and Goodbye.
    You know, it's 2016. "Sensible dialogue" on this topic has already been settled. The very questions you asked weren't sensible at this point.

It's like having a dialogue on whether or not the Earth is flat.

The problem that I have with this fair is there is not enough of them!

350 jobs landed in one day is just what Detroit needs. A tool that works and gets unemployed young men working should be used more often. Be damned with political correctness. Result are results the problem has been chronic for a long time use whatever works

Quoting Dickens...

It seems that,

“If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.”
    ATTRIBUTION: CHARLES DICKENS, Oliver Twist, chapter 51, p. 489 [[1970). First published serially 1837–1839.

https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

Discriminatory Practices

II. What Discriminatory Practices Are Prohibited by These Laws? Under Title VII, the ADA, GINA, and the ADEA, it is illegal to discriminate in any aspect of employment, including:

• hiring and firing;
    • compensation, assignment, or classification of employees;
    • transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall;
    • job advertisements;
    • recruitment;
    • testing;
    • use of company facilities;
    • training and apprenticeship programs;
    • fringe benefits;
    • pay, retirement plans, and disability leave; or
    • other terms and conditions of employment.

Discriminatory practices under these laws also include:

• harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, or age;
    • retaliation against an individual for filing a charge of discrimination, participating in an investigation, or opposing discriminatory practices;
    • employment decisions based on stereotypes or assumptions about the abilities, traits, or performance of individuals of a certain sex, race, age, religion, or ethnic group, or individuals with disabilities, or based on myths or assumptions about an individual's genetic information; and
    • denying employment opportunities to a person because of marriage to, or association with, an individual of a particular race, religion, national origin, or an individual with a disability. Title VII also prohibits discrimination because of participation in schools or places of worship associated with a particular racial, ethnic, or religious group.

Employers are required to post notices to all employees advising them of their rights under the laws EEOC enforces and their right to be free from retaliation. Such notices must be accessible, as needed, to persons with visual or other disabilities that affect reading.
    Note: Many states and municipalities also have enacted protections against discrimination and harassment based on sexual orientation, status as a parent, marital status and political affiliation. For information, please contact the EEOC District Office nearest you.

Like many things I have witnessed, just because there is a law doesn't mean it's going to be enforced.

It's like, what was good for the goose is now good for the gander.

Carry on...
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; November-18-16 at 02:13 AM.

Affirmative Action was good medicine. Time to change the dosage.

To the OP. When you decided to open this discussion you asked for thoughts on both sides, which IMO you got. You did not say if you disagree or don't like them you would run away from your own thread. Someone brought up white privilege. Although this was written in 1988 it is relevant to this discussion.
    http://www.collegeart.org/pdf/divers...-privilege.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Affirmative Action was good medicine. Time to change the dosage.

Do you mean that 350 jobs from this job fair means the field is level now?

As a conservative, how could you even have a problem with directly targeting the most challenged demographic and helping them find work? Will not programs that do that and succeed ultimately lower your taxes so the government doesn't have to provide an excessive amount of expensive services? For example, prisons?

Unfortunately or fortunately for some, this will be my last entry on this website. My original start for this thread asked for sensible dialog on the title of a job fair in the city.

I grew up in Detroit and attended a predominantly Black/Hispanic high school so I had a first hand experience with the prejudices and attitudes between the races. One thing I did experience was the camaraderie between my fellow back students and I. I grew up on the lower East Side and commuted to the neighborhood around the 12th. street Grand River area for high school. I saw a lot of racial prejudice which was well founded at the time. The one thing I noticed that as I spent time with my classmates [[some white, mostly Black and Latino) the attitude changed. I can't say I was accepted but I was treated as an equal mostly because we were from similar backgrounds.
    What I'm getting at is, after starting this thread that the same old misconceptions and stone throwing are still there. I see a lot of animosity still exists. I asked for dialog without the racial mudslinging and look what happened here. I don't know if this city can ever be rebuilt without rebuilding attitudes toward one another. It takes more than brick and mortar and Q-Lines and arenas. It takes a total change in the underlying hatred that still exists.

There were a lot of well meaning posts here but as is often the case on this website, it turned into a temper tantrum between angry people. So in ending, I am so sorry we still can't establish constructive conversation without the mudslinging.

Good Luck and Goodbye.
    Oh please, having read this whole thing, I didn't see any mudslinging or hate here. Misunderstandings; yes. Disagreements; yes. Debate; yes. Hate; I don't see it and certainly didn't feel any. Why is it these days that when anyone disagrees, they're labeled as "haters"? Did you really think you'd start a discussion on the topic of race without also generating some emotion? Dr. King gave his life for the benefit of racial equality, and you run away when a few people disagree with each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    Oh please, having read this whole thing, I didn't see any mudslinging or hate here. Misunderstandings; yes. Disagreements; yes. Debate; yes. Hate; I don't see it and certainly didn't feel any. Why is it these days that when anyone disagrees, they're labeled as "haters"? Did you really think you'd start a discussion on the topic of race without also generating some emotion? Dr. King gave his life for the benefit of racial equality, and you run away when a few people disagree with each other...
    It's not necessarily hate. It's also not really misunderstanding, disagreement, or debate. It's more likely stupidity and fear.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    It's not necessarily hate. It's also not really misunderstanding, disagreement, or debate. It's more likely stupidity and fear.
    Calling someone stupid and fearful is hate speech.

If you're white and you're butthurt and whiny over this, then go to the job fair and apply. Do you think you're going to be kicked out by some Black Panthers guarding the door? Denied entry? Refused a job application if you ask for one?

P.S. Here's some statistics for you, if you even care about racial disparities:

White unemployment rate in Michigan at the start of 2016: 3.7%
    Black unemployment rate in Michigan at the start of 2016: 11%

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3