Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is there a need for a new media source more responsive to Metro Detroit Residents?

The Free Press became national clowns on Tuesday with their Hillary wins Michigan prediction.

Both the News and Free Press endorsed candidates who didn't win office.

The Free Press attempted to voter shame residents who voted against the RTA as opposed to placing accountability with those at the RTA who didn't do enough to message/sell the plan [[i.e. adjust it) so it would be supported by voters in Macomb?

Given that the majority of voters in the state based on the most recent presidential election and even the tri-county area on the RTA proposal are not aligned with the views of these editorial boards - is it time for a new source of print news?

Akin to a Crains or Dbusiness on a larger scale covering other topics that just business. Given the founding of Fox News a few decades ago - solely from a business perspective - it has me wondering if there's an untapped market as clearly the current news editors are out of touch with residents/voters. As opposed to the current disgruntled and negative cynicsm we always see in the local print.

Huh? Did the Chicago Tirb fold when they actually printed "Dewey Defeats Truman"? No. For the Press, it was a mistake based on previously used and tested models and this was the wrong one. So what?!

And yes, they should be shamed for holding this region back. Ok, the RTA didn't reach out to out-county people but that doesn't mean they, the residents, weren't wrong.

And responsive to who? Oh wait, uneducated white voters.

That's just race baiting by CNN.

50,000 less Detroit votes were cast in 2016 than 2012. Had the Detroit votes come out, most of whom are not white, Hillary would have won. She only lost by 14,000 votes.

There are two sides to every coin.

If anything, we need more media like the News and Freep, and less of the Metro Times, Daily Detroit, CBS Local clickbait crap I see on my Facebook page all the time.

As a journalist, I'll chime in here because I'm tired of hearing about biased news sources.

Everyone, every single person is biased no matter what. But as journalists, we do our best to present both sides. Yes, we make mistakes and when we do, most, not all, make sure you know we corrected them.

By the way, the editorial board is separate from the newsroom so when you call a newspaper biased, you're calling their OPINION section biased.

Freedom of the Press is one of the things that makes this country great, but it's also something that's really hurting the business. Fake news websites are destroying real journalism and that is the fault of the reader. They believe what they want and they won't stand for factual information from a credible source.

Please invest in journalism, because Lord knows what might happen if it ends up going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    As a journalist, I'll chime in here because I'm tired of hearing about biased news sources.

Everyone, every single person is biased no matter what. But as journalists, we do our best to present both sides. Yes, we make mistakes and when we do, most, not all, make sure you know we corrected them.

By the way, the editorial board is separate from the newsroom so when you call a newspaper biased, you're calling their OPINION section biased.

Freedom of the Press is one of the things that makes this country great, but it's also something that's really hurting the business. Fake news websites are destroying real journalism and that is the fault of the reader. They believe what they want and they won't stand for factual information from a credible source.

Please invest in journalism, because Lord knows what might happen if it ends up going away.
    The very real possibility of professional journalism disappearing gradually is a scary thought indeed. Also the thought that some political players would want to precipitate this occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Huh? Did the Chicago Tirb fold when they actually printed "Dewey Defeats Truman"? No. For the Press, it was a mistake based on previously used and tested models and this was the wrong one. So what?!

And yes, they should be shamed for holding this region back. Ok, the RTA didn't reach out to out-county people but that doesn't mean they, the residents, weren't wrong.

And responsive to who? Oh wait, uneducated white voters.
    Consider the OP you're responding to.

Anyone who thinks the media doesn't lean left is living in la la land.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Anyone who thinks the media doesn't lean left is living in la la land.
    Yes, the media leans slightly left according to the link below, but that doesn't mean there aren't biased right wing outlets as well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...eology-2014-10

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Yes, the media leans slightly left according to the link below, but that doesn't mean there aren't biased right wing outlets as well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...eology-2014-10
    Very true but the mainstream media might as well be listed as a government outlet for the DNC.

When I turned on election coverage the other night around 8pm, the atmosphere was jovial and upbeat. By the time 11pm rolled around, you'd think they were covering a funeral.

At this point I don't even ask for it to be changed, because that's never going to happen, but at least admit that it's there. Anyone in the media that claims, as a whole, it's not there is going to lose credibility.