Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How long did you have to wait in line today?

My attempt to dodge the crowds today was successful as I arrived at the polling station at 1:30 this afternoon [[In Milford). The line was exactly one person long, and I was that one person! I managed to vote, pick up lunch [[The line there was longer) and make it back home in under 30 minutes.

My wait in line was negligible [[no wait in line, waited only to have my application form approved and then receive a ballot) around 3:30 PM. Thankfully, our precinct's poll workers have worked every election for the past several years, so they know how to keep the line moving smoothly no matter how many people are in line.
    Last edited by 248lurker; November-08-16 at 05:07 PM.

I showed up just about an hour after the polls opened in Wyandotte and I only had to wait behind a couple other people.

It is normally only the people who go when some place opens that wait in lines. For example, show up at 7AM and you'll be in the same line as everyone else so expect 30 minutes to an hour. Show up at 9AM and wait five minutes.

The Secretary of State operates the same way. Unless you're the first person in line [[which you don't know when that will start) - there's no point to get in that first rush because it's just a line.

Only took me 30 minutes in Detroit, turnout seemed lower than Obama's last round.

There was no one in line, but I was slightly delayed because a Trump supporter refused to take his pro-Trump hat off and was arguing with election workers that were supposed to be taking taking care of me. My wife and I were number 444 and 445 at Precinct 20 in Rochester Hills.

Voted ten days ago. Nevada has early voting, and it is beautifully set up. All touch screen computer for the votes. I remember nightmare lines back in my Detroit days. Anyway.....whoever wins.....life will go on. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Voted ten days ago. Nevada has early voting, and it is beautifully set up. All touch screen computer for the votes. I remember nightmare lines back in my Detroit days. Anyway.....whoever wins.....life will go on. Trust me.
    We voted two weeks ago, only we use paper ballots. Just color in the circles. It all took about 15 minutes.

Report in this morning's paper is that more than 40% of registered voters had already voted by Friday. Early and absentee will pass 60% before it's all over.

No line. We used absentee ballots this year as we had intended to leave Michigan for the season on the first of November but my wife wanted to have Thanksgiving here so we will leave immediately afterward.

Absentee ballots are really the best way to vote as you do not have to put up with the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Oddly enough, I only went in passionate about two things: RTA and the Wayne County RESA millage [[yes to both). Couldn't care less about the president, truth be told. I mean, I should, but given our options...

Paper ballots at my precinct. Steady crowd, but very quick and efficient. Color touch screens sound neat, but the cynic in me assumes that the local government paid way too much, they were delivered late, under-promised and are full of security holes [[root access password is probably "password"). Don't get me wrong - I'm an engineer working for a high-tech firm - but I'd still take a paper ballot given the shoddy work I've seen out there. Especially for something as important [[and a target for hacking) as voting machines.

Voted paper absentee ballot. Neighbor waited about ten minutes, around six o'clock. She stared down some guy dressed in camo who approached her in the parking lot.

Amazing results tonight.

It's scary to think we may actually be saying "President Donald J. Trump" when we wake up tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Amazing results tonight.

It's scary to think we may actually be saying "President Donald J. Trump" when we wake up tomorrow morning.

Honestly, I'm worried either way.

The AP has officially called.

Trump will be our next president.

Totally stunned.

Eight uncles fought fascism in WWII. Dad had polio, and could not. The greatest generation, and they are all rolling in their graves today.
    Last edited by Bobl; November-09-16 at 03:45 AM.

The DEMs had this sewn up going in. They had the right and winning candidate. All that was required was to sit back and let it happen. Instead, they chose to commandeer the people's will and stand up a puppet instead. As the onion bloomed, they were forced to go into failed damage control and the situation just worsened. A lot of people fought and died in wars. They fought for freedom of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of choice. Trump's victory resonates with the people's freedom of choice. And yes, God help us all.

35 minutes in line at Covington Middle School at about 9:45. Longest I've ever waited, never seen a turnout that large. Slowdown came when the poll workers were scanning your drivers license, just one laptop in use. Plenty of open voting stands.

This election was a trip without luggage. The manipulation, double-standards, corruption and shankannery cannot be unseen. I was fairly convinced that Hillary Clinton would pull it off by virtue that she had the nerve to RUN in the first place!

She had enough help/ endorsement to get her though seemingly no matter what was going on: the security investigations, her history as SOS, etc.

Clearly, Trump made her look far, FAR better with his baggage, almost seeming to function as a shill for her at points IMO. Yet he resonated with many albeit it very close in some states. He's now president of the USA!

Uh, and what was up with Michigan? Are our numbers in yet on any level at all? Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Honestly, I'm worried either way.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-09-16 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The AP has officially called.

Trump will be our next president.

Totally stunned.
    Barf.

I accept the result, but I'm really shocked that we allowed this bigot to be our president.

Republican President, house, senate, and republican supreme court justices. Government is about to get a lot smaller, unless it's the military, or the part of government that tells you who can marry, or the part of government that stops and frisks you. The war on drugs will probably be intensified, despite its ineffectiveness. Climate change is now just a myth, nothing for us to worry about here.

It makes me sick thinking about it, and as a straight, white, middle-class male I will be much less effected.

I accept the result, but I'm really shocked that we allowed this bigot to be our president
    I voted absentee, "It's great to be King"

Not that it matters but Hillary leads in total vote by 130K likely making this the 6th out of the last 7 elections where the Dems have won the total vote. Another 500K spread out right and Hillary would have won WI MI FL NC and PA.

It was a 40 minute wait in Dearborn.

I talked to a Kinko's girl who went in early in Detroit and got out within 10 minutes-hardly anyone there she said. She had loud customers coming in and acting rude all day. They asked her openly who she voted for and then proceeded to harass her and tell her she "should've voted for Trump because he's gonna' win."

....So much for respect of privacy and right to choice.

There has been no talk of the reliability of the voting situation or whether any hacking was done [[yet, Clinton won in leading in states that were usually red-it was as if someone crossed a wire, all things went upside down, and the wrong votes went to the wrong candidates) by outside parties. He is now the figurehead of all the formidable collective of loud, xenophobic, uneducated jerks who hide behind spins on somethings like "freedom of speech" [[for example) without maturely taking on the necessary responsibility of accuracy, respect, and accountability that goes along with it. Funny how someone everyone said was so "real" was supported by so many turds who-at the least-could not shoot straight on their facts and the required critical comparatives and they also typically lied and lied loudly [["Bill Clinton is a rapist") if it meant "getting the job done". Well, Cruz was right "You broke it, you bought it."

I was right about the last minute "scandal" attempt [[which was retracted) to be played by Hilary towards the final stretch. Now consider this: don't be surprised if there is a "terrorist tragedy" of huge proportions, or at the least, an assassination attempt within the first two years [[and one that can put Pence in charge, while all mourn what a "tragic loss it was to lose Trump") that causes the conservatives to rally all for them to have unquestioned authority and allow them to enforce a tighter "secure" hold on the country.

Regardless of the outcome, I trust our poll workers did their job honestly and accurately, and to those that did so, I respect you for taking on the tireless and thankless chore of volunteering your time and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Eight uncles fought fascism in WWII. Dad had polio, and could not. The greatest generation, and they are all rolling in their graves today.
    Yup. I'm two generations removed from wholesale slaughter in my parents/grandparents country [[including many relatives), and the U.S. elects an avowed white supremacist and proto-fascist. The crap my family escaped comes here.

I always accept a popular vote, but I will never accept Trump, and I have lost a great deal of respect for this country. We're a very sick country. We're no longer close to the greatest nation on earth, and we have completely sunk our global reputation. We're pariahs and fully deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Now consider this: don't be surprised if there is a "terrorist tragedy" of huge proportions, or at the least, an assassination attempt within the first two years [[and one that can put Pence in charge, while all mourn what a "tragic loss it was to lose Trump") that causes the conservatives to rally all for them to have unquestioned authority and allow them to enforce a tighter "secure" hold on the country.
    I could totally see this. The parallels with Germany Jan. 1933 are scary as all hell.

Back then, it was the same excuse-making "Germany's democratic institutions are strong and will endure", "Hitler is just a clown/all talk and can be controlled", "the scapegoating, fabrications and racism are just populist election nonsense", "Germany needs to put partisanship aside and rally around its popularly elected leader", etc.

And not only are we getting Trump, we're getting a cabinet that will likely include his tight inner circle consisting of [[gulp) Newt Gingrich, Rudy Giuliani, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter. Damn. I don't love or respect this country right now.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-09-16 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The DEMs had this sewn up going in. They had the right and winning candidate. All that was required was to sit back and let it happen. Instead, they chose to commandeer the people's will and stand up a puppet instead. As the onion bloomed, they were forced to go into failed damage control and the situation just worsened. A lot of people fought and died in wars. They fought for freedom of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of choice. Trump's victory resonates with the people's freedom of choice. And yes, God help us all.
    Yes. Just what level of Clinton sleaze was supposed to be acceptable? She crossed the line too many times. Whatever Trump's faults are- he didn't take money from countries that are funding Isis as Clinton did. He also didn't send classified info. on an unsecure server. He doesn't want to go to war with Putin as Hillary seems to. He is against the TPP. [[As Bernie was.)You can't just write off his win to the "bigot" vote.

For the record I had no waiting yesterday afternoon. [[Voted Green for pres.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yes. Just what level of Clinton sleaze was supposed to be acceptable? She crossed the line too many times. Whatever Trump's faults are- he didn't take money from countries that are funding Isis as Clinton did. He also didn't send classified info. on an unsecure server. He doesn't want to go to war with Putin as Hillary seems to. He is against the TPP. [[As Bernie was.)You can't just write off his win to the "bigot" vote.

For the record I had no waiting yesterday afternoon. [[Voted Green for pres.)
    It's pretty sad that a claimed "Green" voter would parrot alt-right lies about Hillary. "Emails", "Putin", etc. All lies, straight from Breitbart. How can someone be "progressive" yet work to elect a fascist? I don't get it.

I have dual citizenship, so at least have a fallback option if things go as expected, but most Americans don't. I no longer know what to think about this country. Americans deserve what's coming.

The problem is that the U.S. economy is so big, there's no where to go to escape the decline. Once Trump starts meddling with interest rates, starts trade wars, ban immigrants, pulls out of NATO and cancels international agreements, as he's promised, the whole global economy will crater.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-09-16 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast