Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Calltoaction Guest

Default Vote YES for regional transit!

It's time to truly make progress in our region, to undue decades of mistakes, to finally move forward in a unity and provide some of the most basic requirements of a prosperous society; something we have been lacking for far too long and squandered for all the wrong reasons. We are at a truly pivotal moment in our history and this new plan will be a major determining factor in whether or not we are ready to realize our great potential as a world class city. Vote yes for our bright future, vote yes for our great metro-area, vote YES for the regional transit authority of southeast Michigan!

I'm a Rochester Hills resident that will be voting YES!

I'm voting yes. My brother, who lives in Western Wayne County, is voting no. He is a supporter of mass transit, though. He is just unwilling to vote for an unspecific tax levy. For instance, he would vote yes on a resolution that said, "Should X dollars be spent to build a BMT infrastructure in SE Michigan?" He just feels there is nothing to keep them from misspending money. Although voting differently, I would also be more comfortable with specifically dedicated mils.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm voting yes. My brother, who lives in Western Wayne County, is voting no. He is a supporter of mass transit, though. He is just unwilling to vote for an unspecific tax levy. For instance, he would vote yes on a resolution that said, "Should X dollars be spent to build a BMT infrastructure in SE Michigan?" He just feels there is nothing to keep them from misspending money. Although voting differently, I would also be more comfortable with specifically dedicated mils.
    It is specifically 1.2 mills for 20 years. Pull up a sample ballot from Sec of State [[or somewhere else on line) and check it out.

Then call your brother and tell him to vote yes because it's not unspecific.

This is a big deal. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I talked to some friends who still live in the area [[Wayne and Washtenaw). Not sure how they are voting but they are both amenable to transit expansion generally.

We voted yes via absentee ballot. Finally, in the past few weeks, we have seen pro RTA spots on tv and online. It doesn't have a chance in Macomb County, but it is hoped that the other counties can make up the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Yeah, as said it's a 1.2 property mills and it's for 20 years. In 20 years we'll be asked again. It's in the ballot language...

I will vote YES, YES, YES, for Regional Transit. YES, YES, YES, for jobs, YES, YES, YES for new bus routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    We voted yes via absentee ballot. Finally, in the past few weeks, we have seen pro RTA spots on tv and online. It doesn't have a chance in Macomb County, but it is hoped that the other counties can make up the difference.

The RTA vote is a regional vote. Even though one county or city vote no or yes. They will have to join in the regional bandwagon. And no city or county can opt out from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Sorry it will win in Macomb. The SMART millage won by a landslide here, I live in Macomb and voted yes, like many people in my area did

Voted yes in Wyandotte. I'll tell you what, this will definitely win in Wayne County...

Voted yes here in Livonia.

For the entire region to move forward everyone should be voting yes.
    Look what's it's done for Cobo hall, The Zoo, and the DIA just to name a few things.
    This is a win , win !

Yes vote here.

I voted yes for the transit tax in Atlanta, GA. I wish that I could have voted for the RTA millage.. I definitely pushed it on a lot of people though. I am nervous for the results to start coming in. I hope and pray that it works out for Detroit.

Calltoaction Guest

I just voted YES! Let's get this done people!

I'm in favor of expanding public transit, but voted no. Those of us in the outer suburbs won't see any benefit from this proposal, but due to higher property values our taxes will be going up far more than most. Even the long term [[And likely overly optimistic) projections for service don't show anything within 10 miles of my home. I'm not in favor of adding hundreds of dollars per year to my tax bill when I'll receive no additional services.

Two more YES votes from my household at 5pm.

Calltoaction Guest

Sorry you made that mistake, but your idea that you won't see "any benefit" is absolutely false, this plan is expected to produce quadruple return in investment providing a massive boost to our economy with means more money in your pocket. It allows easy access to the airport if you're ever traveling anywhere or if you have guests visiting you they can more easily get around the metro without a car. There are also plenty of things you pay for in society without seeing direct benefits but you still pay because it allows for a higher standard of living and a functionally prosperous society.

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    Sorry you made that mistake, but your idea that you won't see "any benefit" is absolutely false, this plan is expected to produce quadruple return in investment providing a massive boost to our economy with means more money in your pocket. It allows easy access to the airport if you're ever traveling anywhere or if you have guests visiting you they can more easily get around the metro without a car. There are also plenty of things you pay for in society without seeing direct benefits but you still pay because it allows for a higher standard of living and a functionally prosperous society.
    This proposal offers no service whatsoever to the community where I live. My income is totally independent of the local economy, so my "return on investment" will be negative since I'll be spending upwards of $300 per year for services that I won't be able to use. There's also no mention anywhere of a proposed service link from Metro from my city.

As I mentioned, I'm in favor of increased mass transit in the metro area. What I'm not in favor of is a vague plan that benefits some communities, but totally skips over others while charging them more.

Voted yes in Livonia. I think my wife did, too.

She wasn't even aware of the RTA issue prior to today. Oh well...

It's not looking pretty for Regional Transit Authority Millage. A no vote means back to the drawing board.

1.SMART buses will have to rely on 4 year tax millage that the tri-counties would have to vote. A yes vote will SMART buses running in your county. A no vote means no more SMART buses in your area forever!

2. Each suburban cities can vote to opt in or out of the SMART buses come election day any year.

3. The Reflex Buses services [[preview) the does Woodward and Gratiot Ave. will be gone.

It seems to me that the $95.00 a year tax levy for homeowner with a taxable income of $200,000 is not logical. There are lots of suburban cities in the Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Washtenaw Counties are not in the regional bus system and those folks do not want to pay higher taxes for a system they do not have bus services.

Forget about the folks in the inner ring suburbs and poor folks in Detroit paying higher taxes for expandable regional bus services.

So It's back to drawing board.

Updated numbers show that as of right now the millage overall and in Oakland County is dead even. It's winning in Wayne and Washtenaw and losing in Macomb.

With the speed the Detroit votes are being counted, it could be either 2 AM or even worse even when we wake up when the final numbers are tallied, so there is probably still a chance.

Looks like it was rejected. I knew Macomb County would soundly reject it but thought the other counties might put it through. A shame, but this will be a minor problem compared to the effects of the Presidential contest.

Just glancing at the proposal tells me people were probably leery of a 20yr tax.
    Even my local fire millage has to be renewed every two years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast