Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Name?

I recently acquired a street map of Detroit from the early 60s or thereabouts. The Detroit-Windsor tunnel is shown on the map as having the name "Fleetway Tunnel." I've never heard that name used before, nor has anyone I asked. It's always been the "Detroit-Windsor Tunnel" in any news coverage I've seen, and in conversation it's always just been "the tunnel." So, group, what's the story on the name "Fleetway?" An official business name? A colloquialism that faded away with time?

I have never heard that name for the tunnel before either, but a quick Google search brought this link up. You might have to go to the Windsor Public Library to get a concrete answer.

http://projects.windsorpubliclibrary...ang=en&story=3

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have never heard that name for the tunnel before either, but a quick Google search brought this link up. You might have to go to the Windsor Public Library to get a concrete answer.

http://projects.windsorpubliclibrary...ang=en&story=3
    Yeah I found that shortly after I posted here [[not sure why I didn't consult google first). Found some indication in other results that "Fleetway Tunnel" was indeed the name of the tunnel when it opened. Who knew?

Interesting. I've never heard it called anything but the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, but I can find the name "Fleetway" online on several old postcards, and here it is in a WPA guide to Michigan that appears to have originally been published around 1941.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=cW...etroit&f=false

I wonder when that name fell out of use? Perhaps, like the Douglas A. MacArthur Bridge [[ummm... Belle Isle Bridge to you), the name was never really in regular use at all. It sounds like a commercial name meant to convey that the tunnel is somehow faster, than the bridge, I suppose. I know the tunnel was a big financial failure for many years during the depression, because traffic declined and most of the traffic there was went over the bridge.

Everyone I know has simply called it the tunnel. My late Dad watched as it was built. One of his friends called it "the tube".