Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lower case "d" downtown vs. Midtown

Can anyone explain why downtown is lower case and Midtown is upper case?

I noticed this in an article in Sunday's Free Press. Is this a case of 19th century English where words were spelled whatever way the editor thought it best until a standardization came about?

Generally, I would think you would capitalize Downtown and/or Midtown only when it refers to a specific neighborhood, like Midtown Manhattan or Midtown Detroit. If you use the terms generally, such as, I went downtown to buy some shoes, I would not capitalize it, as its a common noun in that sense.

There is an excellent book on the subject of downtowns, called appropriately, Downtown, by Robert Fogelson. It contains extensive discussion of how the terms first came into use and spread to big cities in the U.S.

I think you are right, 1953.

The key is to determine whether the usage is proper or common noun or proper name.

For example, the president serves for four years. That said, President Obama is serving his 2nd term. President is a common noun. President Obama is actually a proper name.

Downtown is definitely a common noun. The expression Downtown Detroit would be a proper noun. Or is it really a proper name?

Same thing with things like bureaus or departments in the U.S. government. One could say census bureau or the U.S. Bureau of the Census. The U.S. Bureau of the Census would be a proper name referring specifically to one bureau within the U.S. government.
    Last edited by emu steve; November-01-16 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I think you are right, 1953.

The key is to determine whether the usage is proper or common noun or proper name.

For example, the president serves for four years. That said, President Obama is serving his 2nd term. President is a common noun. President Obama is actually a proper name.

Downtown is definitely a common noun. The expression Downtown Detroit would be a proper noun. Or is it really a proper name?

Same thing with things like bureaus or departments in the U.S. government. One could say census bureau or the U.S. Bureau of the Census. The U.S. Bureau of the Census would be a proper name referring specifically to one bureau within the U.S. government.
    Proper nouns and proper names are the same thing. I think the inconsistency with how to write “downtown” might be due to the change in how we use the word. It originally referred to a direction and not a specific area of the city. The only place I know that still uses it this way is Manhattan. Almost everywhere else it is a specific area of the city and should probably be treated as a proper noun. However, even in our speech pattern we treat it as a direction instead of a destination. Most of us say “I am going downtown,” instead of “I am going to Downtown Detroit.”

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Proper nouns and proper names are the same thing. I think the inconsistency with how to write “downtown” might be due to the change in how we use the word. It originally referred to a direction and not a specific area of the city. The only place I know that still uses it this way is Manhattan. Almost everywhere else it is a specific area of the city and should probably be treated as a proper noun. However, even in our speech pattern we treat it as a direction instead of a destination. Most of us say “I am going downtown,” instead of “I am going to Downtown Detroit.”
    I think this post hits the nail on the head in terms of practical usage. One says they are going or heading downtown and conversely, midtown is thought of as a specific destination so you don't say you're heading or going midtown, you say you're heading to Midtown. Then again, you do say you're heading uptown, so who the hell knows.

Good discussion.

I maintain that if one says "in our downtown, we have many skyscrapers" then it is lower case.

If one says, "Downtown Detroit has many skyscrapers" then it should be capitalized.

Even though in context both are referring to what we call Detroit's downtown.

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

This is the reason why I posted. It was from the front page article in this past Sunday's Free Press about the apartments on Seward.

"It's possible that the disagreements flaring in various neighborhoods reflect new expectations generated by the success of downtown and Midtown."

Perhaps this will shed more light on what I was thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

This is the reason why I posted. It was from the front page article in this past Sunday's Free Press about the apartments on Seward.

"It's possible that the disagreements flaring in various neighborhoods reflect new expectations generated by the success of downtown and Midtown."

Perhaps this will shed more light on what I was thinking...
    And this appears to be the article: Housing spats boil up in Detroit neighborhoods.

The usage you cite seems inconsistent to me. If Midtown is a proper place in Detroit, so is Downtown.

Perhaps someone should email John Gallagher [[i.e. the author) so he can become better educated. No point in everyone talking about his flaws without letting him know the error of his ways.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Perhaps someone should email John Gallagher [[i.e. the author) so he can become better educated. No point in everyone talking about his flaws without letting him know the error of his ways.
    You're totally right, I thought about it and just haven't done it.

I'm not saying he's wrong because I know there's journalism standards out there but just curious why it is.

Update per the first sentence: Did it.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; November-03-16 at 01:40 PM.

A response within the hour!

"One of those weird conventions that we have – downtowns tend to be lower case and Midtown upper, but I’m not sure there’s any good reason for it. Go figure.
    John"

Could it be because Midtown is incorporated and has specifically identified districts?

http://midtowndetroitinc.org/

.... whereas downtown doesn't?

Just taking a stab here....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Could it be because Midtown is incorporated and has specifically identified districts?

http://midtowndetroitinc.org/

.... whereas downtown doesn't?

Just taking a stab here....
    Ehhh maybe, but man that reeks of corporatism. But downtown has Financial District, Capitol Park, Greektown, Lower Woodward/Merchant's Row, "Foxtown"...