Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 60 Story Building for Hudson Site? Gilbertville Rumblings Suggest Possibility

From Crains: "Dan Gilbert's team has two months to submit its development and financing plans to the Detroit Downtown Development Authority for its plan to build a new high-rise building on the former J.L. Hudson's department store site.

It's possible that building, which would sit on the vacant 2-acre site on Woodward, could come in at 60 stories, sources are telling me.

At that height, it would dwarf virtually everything surrounding it, including the nearby David Stott Building, which is 38 stories in Capitol Park at 1150 Griswold St.

The 60-story height is one of several possibilities being weighed by Gilbert's Rock Ventures LLC, I'm told. It's not known exactly how many designs are under consideration. Rock Senior Communications Manager Carolyn Artman said the company "doesn't comment on rumors and speculation."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rning-20161101

I still prefer the glass blob, but wow.

Addendum: I now notice this story was spotted and added by 1953 to the Hudson site thread, but it is such a sensational story it deserves its own highlighting. I'll merge the two later.

I want to see a 90 story "Gilbert Tower". at the Old Hudson's Site.

Sounds like the entire underground parking garage will be torn out. 60 stories of a mixed use building will be hard to determine the height for. Parking and residential floors are usually about 10 ft./floor, while commercial space is closer to 15 ft./floor.

The 45 story former Comerica Tower is 620 ft. And the 73 story Marriott Renaissance Center is about 730 ft.

60 stories... Wow! [[a few 4 letter expletives came to mind first)

I spent a couple hours on all sides of the site today rethinking what could be done with it.
    Some thoughts in no particular order:

Scrapping all of the existing foundation/garage and starting new is the way to go. An architect is really limited by what someone thought decades ago would be done on the site.

There really is a lot of space to utilize for parking. There are several options because of the surface area. Obviously below ground but after low level retail/restaurant space, you could stack it tall just in the center of the building or just on the library side. Personally I would go with the center option. The new hotel will have valets. Residents will not need to get vehicles out twice a day and be more willing to traverse many levels, For frequent vehicle users, it's a wrong choice on where to live.

The altitude. Skyline changing for sure thinking 60 but it is really a great location to do it. Vistas would be amazing in all directions. 45 stories clearing One Campus Martius. Wow! again. Clearly, a tower is involved but a rooftop green space/park would be really slick.

Square footage. The one thing that has been constant from the very beginning has been multi use. You would want all of these and a few more. Everything. Leave no stone unturned. Maybe some medical -- doctors, physical therapy etc.

Size of project. It would be gigantic by Detroit standards, but [[and a big one) the right guy to pull it off. Gilbert has already demonstrated a willingness to work with partners. A couple with deep pockets/excellent credit and a track record in developing large multi use projects would be the way to go on something this big. Previous experience would be a big help here. He is a master at developing contacts in big business and always has been nurturing them. This project would be a good time to cash those in.

It's exciting just to think about.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; November-01-16 at 09:17 PM.

The sixtieth floor will be an excellent vantage from which to contemplate the myriad fields that once had two and three story buildings on them. God luv Detroit.
    Last edited by canuck; November-02-16 at 04:52 AM.

No. Not 60 stories. That's insane. It will stick out like a sore thumb and ruin Detroit's skyline. Imagine the RenCen hotel in that location. Something 30 or 40 stories should be considered, given the height of the Broderick, Stott, and 1001 Woodward. Remember: Dan Gilbert was supposed to build a stand alone HQ for Quicken Loans but decided to take up some floors in the Compuware Building. That was a smart move. Building a 60 story building in that location is not.

That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    No. Not 60 stories. That's insane. It will stick out like a sore thumb and ruin Detroit's skyline. Imagine the RenCen hotel in that location. Something 30 or 40 stories should be considered, given the height of the Broderick, Stott, and 1001 Woodward. Remember: Dan Gilbert was supposed to build a stand alone HQ for Quicken Loans but decided to take up some floors in the Compuware Building. That was a smart move. Building a 60 story building in that location is not.
    Royce, with the Renaissance Center already sticking out like a sore thumb for over 1/3 of a century, I think that a 60 story building would do nothing more than balance out the lopsided-ness that is downtown Detroit.

Since we have no clue to appearance, I Photoshopped what would be about 60 stories onto the Hudson's site, as seen from the water.... looks OK to me to help balancing out the lopsided Detroit skyline....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lowell, I'm surprised you started a new thread on this, because the discussion was already ongoing on the thread about gilbert locking up the hudson's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Royce, with the Renaissance Center already sticking out like a sore thumb for over 1/3 of a century, I think that a 60 story building would do nothing more than balance out the lopsided-ness that is downtown Detroit.

Since we have no clue to appearance, I Photoshopped what would be about 60 stories onto the Hudson's site, as seen from the water.... looks OK to me to help balancing out the lopsided Detroit skyline....
    Couldn't agree more. The Detroit skyline is the Renaissance Center, anything that takes some of it back would be awesome.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; November-02-16 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Lowell, I'm surprised you started a new thread on this, because the discussion was already ongoing on the thread about gilbert locking up the hudson's site.

See the addendum on Lowell's 1st post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

I agree. To me the Ren Cen is on an island and then there is everything else. There needs to be some infill visually between One Detroit Center and the Ren Cen. Hopefully with some projects coming online in the coming years, we might get that infill and even some mid rises east of the Ren Cen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I agree. To me the Ren Cen is on an island and then there is everything else. There needs to be some infill visually between One Detroit Center and the Ren Cen. Hopefully with some projects coming online in the coming years, we might get that infill and even some mid rises east of the Ren Cen as well.
    I think with Hudson's and the Monroe Block you will get more balance as viewed from Canada, but I think the best thing that could happen are some mid-rises and high-rises popping up east of the Ren Cen. There was that rumbling last year about Gilbert teaming up with GM to develop that and I have seen some other hints from those working on the riverfront that some big things are coming, I am just wondering when we might see some announcements. If demand continues to be high the riverfront is perfect for some residential high-rises that could really change the look of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I agree that 60 is too much, but I'd opt for about 50. Taller than the surrounding buildings but not so high as to loom above them all.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I think with Hudson's and the Monroe Block you will get more balance as viewed from Canada, but I think the best thing that could happen are some mid-rises and high-rises popping up east of the Ren Cen. There was that rumbling last year about Gilbert teaming up with GM to develop that and I have seen some other hints from those working on the riverfront that some big things are coming, I am just wondering when we might see some announcements. If demand continues to be high the riverfront is perfect for some residential high-rises that could really change the look of the city.
    I think that the infill of those blocks, along with some other surface lots in the CBD will create that infill, but the three areas that will most affect the skyline are, as you mentioned, the parking lots directly east of the Ren Cen, the JLA site next to COBO, and the fail jail. Those two visually will alter the skyline more dramatically than a twinning of the old Ponch by COBO or some 12 story apartment buildings. JLA site once JLA is knocked down could be a major development, as it has the potential to fill in that area as well as connect to downtown. It should be a very interesting 5 years once some of these get moving and come to fruition.

I always thought the empty lot/former parking garage next to the National Theater would be a good spot for Gilbert to build something of this size. I'd rather see the Hudson's block densely filled with random 3-5 story buildings similar the opposite side of Woodward. However, it's not my money and as long as it looks better than the leaked rendering from last year, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I always thought the empty lot/former parking garage next to the National Theater would be a good spot for Gilbert to build something of this size. I'd rather see the Hudson's block densely filled with random 3-5 story buildings similar the opposite side of Woodward. However, it's not my money and as long as it looks better than the leaked rendering from last year, I'm all for it.
    What's most important is what happens at street level. If a 60 story building was built in the 70's/80's there's a good chance it would have a big concrete plaza and setback. I think most people, especially Gilbert, knows how important it is to maintain a street wall and activity at ground level.

The RenCen was built on the riverfront with its bulky height for there were plans to build moved skyscrapers of equal height along the riverfront

Any update on the Hudson's block? I thought a plan needed to be in place by the end of 2016 per the DDA development rules.

Could someone please provide info when the deadline was extended again, beyond 12/31/16 ?

Tomorrow morning 830 am announcement from Gilbert that will affect downtown Detroit. Mayor Dugan on hand too. I'm expecting a hudsons announcement

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Tomorrow morning 830 am announcement from Gilbert that will affect downtown Detroit. Mayor Dugan on hand too. I'm expecting a hudsons announcement
    Damn, Atticus you really put the pressure on them!

Update: Ok, so it looks like it's just going to be the Microsoft announcement. Sorry, but this doesn't really "affect" downtown. If Microsoft was moving from Seattle, yes, but moving regional offices, not so much...
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; February-02-17 at 11:08 AM.

That's where he drops the bombshell. Hudson's announcement along with Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    That's where he drops the bombshell. Hudson's announcement along with Microsoft.
    Here's to wishful thinking!

The other "big" announcement turned out to Shit Rock at the new arena. Whooptido!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Here's to wishful thinking!

The other "big" announcement turned out to Shit Rock at the new arena. Whooptido!
    I always thought it was spelled 'whoop-de-doo'... You learn something new every day...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Damn, Atticus you really put the pressure on them!

Update: Ok, so it looks like it's just going to be the Microsoft announcement. Sorry, but this doesn't really "affect" downtown. If Microsoft was moving from Seattle, yes, but moving regional offices, not so much...
    Besides all of that, the news about the Microsoft move was leaked during the Auto Show. Hardly anything to do back flips over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast