Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Murder of Alan Canty 31 years ago... update

Al Canty was my spouse. John Fry changed the course of my life when he murdered him. Dawn Spens was their common link. I've completed a manuscript providing psychological insight into what was called "one of Detroit's more grisly cases" as well as an update on "whatever happened."

The manuscript is tentatively entitled "Till Death We Did Part: True Crime Memoir" and is currently in the hands of two lit agents.

For more information, see excerpts here:

https://www.facebook.com/JCantyPhD/

Name:  wedding.jpg
Views: 15108
Size:  176.6 KB Name:  IMG_4577.JPG
Views: 4995
Size:  199.4 KB

Welcome to the board. Have you read 'Masquerade'? If so, what is your opinion?

Yes I read it Lowell Cauffiel collaborated on the parts that have to do with me The style is objective and does not attempt an explanation of why my husband was drawn to such a seedy double life

How about a synopsis...

Cauffiel's book Masquerade is a true story about how my spouse, Al Canty, voluntarily took a front row seat to Requiem for a Dream, ultimately enabling Dawn Spens and John Fry in their escalating drug addiction. This front row seat cost us our life savings, our dream of a joint practice and - ultimately - Al's life. Masquerade follows the apparent motives [[sex, drugs, power) and underscores the obvious differences between the three [[educationally, financially and socially). Lowell's book is based upon objective research which raises the question: "How well do you really know the person you feel you know best?"

Legendary officer Mark Bando was instrumental is solving the case. He was more intelligent, honorable, diligent, and motivated than most cops at any rank from officer thru chief. Served at a time when the department was largely dysfunctional and corrupt. I say 'was' but perhaps it remains that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Legendary officer Mark Bando was instrumental is solving the case. He was more intelligent, honorable, diligent, and motivated than most cops at any rank from officer thru chief. Served at a time when the department was largely dysfunctional and corrupt.
    I retired from the DPD in 1984. If there was any "corruption" at that time, it was on a selective individual basis, such as the top brass. But I get so goddamned tired of being pointed at as "corrupt" when I did my honest damndest to make Detroit great. Alas, those who followed me did not.

You can't imagine the sadness it gives one to dedicate a major portion of one's life to improvement, only to hear that those who received any benefit tell you it "was". Whalley's word, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

You can't imagine the sadness it gives one to dedicate a major portion of one's life to improvement, only to hear that those who received any benefit tell you it "was". Whalley's word, not mine.
    Forgive me. I just got a bit pissed when I read the original post. I should just curl up and die; would make all the Detroit nay-sayers happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Forgive me. I just got a bit pissed when I read the original post. I should just curl up and die; would make all the Detroit nay-sayers happy.
    Sorry Ray1936. With regard to corruption I mean the top brass, e.g., Tannian, Blount, Hart, the Narcs, Harvel, etc.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; September-14-20 at 08:09 PM.