Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I remember coming back from our boat [[docked near Selfridge ANG base) to our home in Ferndale via I-696 around 1979/80. I was about 8yrs old. WB 696 crossed over the I-75 interchange then gradually flowed directly into a two-lane wide 10 Mile Rd. I remember 10 Mile as it was before the freeway came through. It was pretty quaint. Even with the zoo sitting on its northern curb. It still feels odd seeing that cement wall at the northern terminus of Pinecrest Dr [[Ridge Rd) where it used to cross 10 Mile Rd just before reaching Woodward.

dtowncitylover

AAA was in that triangle. Also Lombardis Italian food store was on the north side of 10 mi. rd by the tracks.

That image of the proposed 11 Mile interchange is from "A planning and engineering analysis of the location and design alternatives considered; Interstate 696" prepared by the State Highway Department in 1963. Various university libraries and the Library of Michigan have copies.
    Last edited by Burnsie; July-18-19 at 10:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2