Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: 5260 Chicago

Default 5260 Chicago

While doing research at work I came across this beauty.
    I've seen it before in my travels through the city , but didn't know much about it.
    sadly it's on the DBA's demo list.
    The one saving grace is it's really big so they don't have the money to demo ... yet.
    With all the rehab work being done on buildings it's a shame if this can't be saved
    This could be a beautiful apartment building to live in .
    Name:  5260 Chicago.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  67.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I've seen it before in my travels through the city , but didn't know much about it.
    The one saving grace is it's really big so they don't have the money to demo ... yet.
    With all the rehab work being done on buildings it's a shame if this can't be saved
    Even without knowing how much repair it would need, that location is not at all conducive to that happening. And I agree, it is unfortunate that we lose a lot of our relatively scarce large, interesting apartment buildings, but you would need higher rents in most areas of the city in order to keep them.

I grew up near that property at its finest -- similar properties were so nice with amenities you pay a fortune for now. I remember many like this as kid in the sixties, seventies. There were scores of them in that area. Many with balconies and marble work. One by one they fell into disrepair and then were razed.

Doubtful this will be rehabbed. Wrong location! Location, location is the biggest factor usually.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-26-16 at 02:07 AM.

It's enough to make you cry. There were beautiful brick apartment buildings all over the city. I would say 70% of the apartment buildings in the city are gone. And that 70% is a conservative estimate. Basically what's left are survivors. It's just sad. Don't even get me started on the single family, two family and four family flats that were lost. It's not like it's stopped happening, it's slowed down but definitely has not stopped.

As a telephone installer, I had jobs in this building frequently. In the mid-1970s it was a little shopworn inside, but still pretty nice. Sad to see it like this now.

It is the Nardin Court Manor one of my apartment ruin favs, located on Nardin Park. Here it is about ten years ago.

See also: http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/...tRuins/023.htm

Yes, this building had many leaded glass windows in those front sunrooms that were slowly stripped from the building a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, one of the other large stately apartment buildings just down the street from this one was torched about 2 years ago, and only a brick shell exists. Also, a unique banquet hall one block over was also torched at around the same time.

The other torched apartment building on Nardin Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3681...8i6656!6m1!1e1

The banquet hall:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3674...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Does anybody have any information about that cool hall.

The fire bugs in this city make me sick to my stomach. These people are truly sick.
    they've destroyed so much of the city.
    They will NEVER build like this again. True treasures lost

The fire bugs in this city make me sick to my stomach. These people are truly sick.
    they've destroyed so much of the city.
    They will NEVER build like this again. True treasures lost
    True as that may be, it's unlikely that any of these structures would have been rehabbed and reoccupied, given their location, even had they not burned.

We'll never know The same thought was behind the Westin Book Cadillac

We'll never know The same thought was behind the Westin Book Cadillac
    Not really. The Book Cadillac was an unlikely target for rehab, so in that sense it was the same, but the location was viable, unlike this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Not really. The Book Cadillac was an unlikely target for rehab, so in that sense it was the same, but the location was viable, unlike this one.
    True but if they had the money the Book would have been a parking lot. just look at what happen the across the street from the book ,two great buildings gone.

It just amazes me how quickly and how far many parts of Detroit have fallen. Although I am a native Angeleno, I will always consider myself an honorary Detroiter. I love the city, but I am saddened when I see how it has become a shell of its former self. I have nothing but the best memories of the city while growing up in the early to mid 70s, although even then, I'm sure many would say that it was already starting its slide. If only I had a time machine.

I'm a native Detroiter , but I've lived in LA for over 25 years and now back in Detroit and I feel the same way.
    I grew up here in the 70's and left in the 80's coming back several times every year and always keeping in touch. I've been back since 2011 and it's been bitter sweet .

Quote Originally Posted by byromania View Post
    It just amazes me how quickly and how far many parts of Detroit have fallen. Although I am a native Angeleno, I will always consider myself an honorary Detroiter. I love the city, but I am saddened when I see how it has become a shell of its former self. I have nothing but the best memories of the city while growing up in the early to mid 70s, although even then, I'm sure many would say that it was already starting its slide. If only I had a time machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    True as that may be, it's unlikely that any of these structures would have been rehabbed and reoccupied, given their location, even had they not burned.
    Not sure what you mean. What about continually occupied and maintained as any apartment building would be?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not sure what you mean. What about continually occupied and maintained as any apartment building would be?
    I mean rehabbed and reoccupied, after it became abandoned. Such a rehab could have been viable in a different neighborhood, but not likely in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The banquet hall:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3674...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Does anybody have any information about that cool hall.
    That place on Dundee just off of Grand River was not a banquet hall. It was a Salvation Army temple. My grandmother and my mother did volunteer work there back around WWII.