Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Obama Care 2017

Default Obama Care 2017

Is it any surprise that a health care plan that has been picked apart and challenged at every chance, for the past fifty years, now runs into problems?

Scandinavian countries have loved their Social Medicine for decades. Yet we micro fuck every last line that might help citizens. Veterans without healthcare, of course you have all been there. Thanks Congress, sure, give big Pharma/Health Care charge of a government plan we TRIED to implement for the last fifty years.

This is as much Republican as it is Democrat. Shame.
    Last edited by Bigb23; October-25-16 at 12:05 AM.

Premiums going up by an average of 22+%!

The GOOD, bad and UGLY for 2017 [[from Washington Times, CNBC, NPR, CNN):

If you get a bad case of sticker shock when you check out the prices of Obamacare plans for next year, there's medicine available for a lot of you to ease the price pain.
    Obamacare enrollment: A sneak peak at 2017 plans and what they'll really cost you

Rates Rise Again For Obamacare Health Plans, But So Do Subsidies

Obamacare premiums to rise sharply as choices dwindle...

Obamacare premiums to soar 22% on average - Oct. 24, 2016
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-25-16 at 06:08 AM.

Bigb23 is correct. As long as insurance companies control the system there will be little or no progress. The idea that employers should provide the benefits is also flawed, and puts American businesses at a disadvantage. Anecdotally speaking, we rent cottages twice a year in Canada and nearly all who we speak with on the subject like their system. We can and should to better, but as long as the insurance companies control both political parties here the prospects are dim. We will end up with a system where the fortunate plurality do pretty well, while the rest get delayed care, early deaths from preventable illness and complications, with ridiculously expensive end of life hospital care paid for by taxpayers and government agencies, while insurance company executives get bonuses and congratulate themselves.
    Last edited by Bobl; October-25-16 at 10:07 PM.

Glad to have Medicare, the only advantage to being an old guy!
    Last edited by Bobl; October-25-16 at 09:02 AM.

Detroit Bankruptcy left this DPD retiree and wife a grand total of $115 a month to buy healthcare. That doesn't even by the scripts the wife needs. We get no other health insurance whatsoever. Good thing I saved all my graft money.

Canada has a Mix of health care insurance. Your hospital and medical coverage is near universal and dental is covered by private insurance when you have it. My wife and I both have group insurance and that covers our family up to a certain point. Meds are well covered and those who don't have a group Insurance via employment need to buy into it through provincial plans. Dental is not covered by them the way group plans do.

Canada is not as universal in its coverage as European countries are. We have a way to go. We are hearing more about the possibility of Dental insurance becoming socialized.

One of the problems with Obamacare is that not enough young, healthy people signed up to bear part of the cost! The fines did not even make them sign up at projected numbers, and now with the rate increasing, well...?
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-30-16 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    One of the problems with Obamacare is that not enough young, healthy people signed up to bear part of the cost! The fines did not even make them sign up at projected numbers, and now with the rate increasing, well...?
    I'm in that category and won't sign up until I'm absolutely forced to! Thankfully, I just received my renewal notice for my grandfathered pre-Obamacare PPO plan last week . My premium did go up 9.8%, but that still leaves it at an affordable rate of $146 per month. That's the total monthly premium. No subsidies and no employer paid portion. It's a high deductible plan [[$4,000 annual deductible), but my medical expenses over the last decade have never been more than $500 per year, so a high deductible HSA plan is perfect for me.

Out of curiosity I just checked the Obamacare marketplace plans for 2017. For a comparable PPO plan with the same annual deductible my premium would be $378 per month. That's $2700 more per year than I am paying now! There's little mystery as to why young Americans are not signing up for it. Unless one's income is low enough to qualify for the subsidies, for healthy younger Americans it's just a bad deal.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-30-16 at 07:07 PM.

Well this is gone now. Good luck with your health care.

There will be Obamacare, Reichsfuhrer Trump will abolished it or make changes to his standard.

^^^ Say what-which?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-13-16 at 01:40 AM.

When the ACA passed with 3,000-plus pages and the Congress were given no time to read it or debate it, you knew it was going to be screwed up. Health CARE is not an insurance model. Catastrophic heath INSURANCE is. Health care is an ongoing something that you pay for or that someone else pays for you.

While the GOP wants to repeal Obamacare, they wil have to substitute something for it and "health care savings accounts" just won't cut it because few people have that kind of money to put into savings.

The least complicated would be just to expand Medicare to everybody. The plan and the admin machinery are already in place. We just need to find a way to pay for it [[Federal Value-Added Tax?).