Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pre-Kroger @ Maple & Lahser 1960s?

This is a 1964 shot of the corner of Maple & Lahser in 1964. The current Kroger complex [[previously a Farmer Jack), built in the early 70s, was not there yet. Does anyone remember what this square bldg was, in the top-right northeast part of the intersection?Name:  krog.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  60.6 KB

The Northeast side strip mall and the southeast side strip mall [[which was always an L shaped mall) both had supermarkets. I'm thinking they were both Farmers Jacks, maybe one was a Chatham. I'm not sure which mall is shown. There is still an unattached row of offices and businesses right by the northeast side mall. There was an Uncle John's right near where Café ML currently is.

I don't remember what that building was.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The Northeast side strip mall and the southeast side strip mall [[which was always an L shaped mall) both had supermarkets. I'm thinking they were both Farmers Jacks, maybe one was a Chatham. I'm not sure which mall is shown. There is still an unattached row of offices and businesses right by the northeast side mall. There was an Uncle John's right near where Café ML currently is.

I don't remember what that building was.
    In the early 60's, there was an A and P grocery store on the NE corner. I was involved in a worker's compensation case of a roofer who was injured during maintenance on the building.

During WWII, the entire SE corner was the Mercer farm which ran almost East to Cranbrook Road on Maple.

Thank you for the ideas. I have a 1964 yellow pages for the area and strangely there are no listings for any A&Ps, Farmer Jacks, or Chathams.

In 1964 in Oakland County additional grocery chains were: Bi Lo, Packers and Wrigleys.