Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Art project explosion draws Detroit firefighters

At bit of a slow news day story but, in short, artists assemble something to blow it up while creating an art video of the event. Explosions freak neighbors and fire department gets called and sends trucks.

Should they be cited? The site is in an industrial area. If you spin around in this Google street view no residential housing can be seen and it all looks pretty fireproof. Not making an accusation, but some artists have been know to make a PR play and one could wonder who made the call.
    "The Detroit Fire Department sped over to 1331 Holden Street on Sunday while a local part of a national art installation, creating a Rube Goldberg chain-reaction contraption, was taking place after neighbors alerted firefighters to what they thought was a blast.
    At least that’s what Matthew Naimi said he thought drew the fire trucks to the “Deconstruct: America” project, which was designed to solve complex societal problems by using art and participation.
    “We built a house out of garbage from a recycle center,” said Naimi of Detroit, who described himself as a cultural janitor, someone, he said, who inspires and creates things out of the garbage. “Everything we used in the house, we pulled out of the garbage including lumber, windows, etc. A guy who has a pyro card and knows how to do it for the movies, used like a giant firecracker.”

Full DetNews Article here >>

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Should they be cited? The site is in an industrial area. If you spin around in this Google street view no residential housing can be seen...
    Then who called?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Then who called?

I am thinking Lowell called it when he said maybe they called as a PR stunt,they should have recieved permission first because at the end of the day it is the taxpayers footing the bill.

How does one construct a house without drawing attention?

I would understand the importance of the arts in society but this is kinda like going and splattering paint inside an abandoned building and thinking it is only in the name of art,so no harm no foul.

To me,anyways,it seems like a holdout of,its Detroit so nobody will care aspect while not realizing that those times are gone or not careing which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I would understand the importance of the arts in society but this is kinda like going and splattering paint inside an abandoned building and thinking it is only in the name of art,so no harm no foul.

To me,anyways,it seems like a holdout of,its Detroit so nobody will care aspect while not realizing that those times are gone or not careing which is worse.
    I always thought art was supposed to elevate mankind to the highest ideals not celebrate mankind's lowest points. If the artists wish to change mans perspective than why do they make it look like they are celebrating the decay.

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    I always thought art was supposed to elevate mankind to the highest ideals not celebrate mankind's lowest points. If the artists wish to change mans perspective than why do they make it look like they are celebrating the decay.

They do say art is in the eye of the beholder,but without prior knowlage from the FD to do this,to me anyways,they cost a strapped department and community money,it was a form of disrespect to the city.

In any other city they would have been charged and the FBI would have been knee deep with the explosive aspect.

For all of the thought put into it there was little thought put into it.

It may have or could have been a cool project if done the right way,but yea the decay thing ship has sailed long ago thanks to a lot of hard work from the residents,I just kinda think they deserve better respect.

I am at a loss to how it solves complex social problems.
    Last edited by Richard; October-19-16 at 10:24 PM.