Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Meijer officially coming to Gateway Park

http://modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/meijer20409.aspx

"Big news for Detroit: Meijer Inc. just signed a development agreement for a 192,000-square-foot store that will anchor the Shoppes at Gateway Park located on Eight Mile at Woodward. The entire development, which also will include a 28,000-square-foot Marshalls, is slated to span 365,000 square feet and is expected to create 600 jobs."

Yeah, we know.

It sure is cOLD in here. Apbest, I'm only fooling. Although the good news was recently posted, it seems that topic has dropped a bit on the first page here. So I'm sure those that have not seen the news yet will be glad you posted. Personally, I welcome our new retail giant overlords.
    Last edited by ASR89; August-17-09 at 04:25 PM.

I will take a ride out there, The fact that Meijer is finally gonna set up shop in Detroit is a sign of progress.And the fact Meijer is a Michigan based company is a good thing.

Did the city break ground for it already. Are there any buildings up?

They have broken ground - you can see the construction equipment and piles of dirt from the holes they're digging

I hope it works; it's still painful to see the Bel-Air Center five miles to the east. Formerly had Target, Toys R Us, Builders Square and I think a Farmer's Jack. Now it's 80 percent vacant. Only about 20 years old.

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    I hope it works; it's still painful to see the Bel-Air Center five miles to the east. Formerly had Target, Toys R Us, Builders Square and I think a Farmer's Jack. Now it's 80 percent vacant. Only about 20 years old.
    The same thing will happen at the Gateway.

Another victory for Granholm YAY!

New Meijer store in DETROIT! and more jobs comming to the city.

Default I hope "shrinkage" isn't a problem

I hope people will respect this store enough to allow it to turn a profit. Unfortunately, unless you're given tax breaks it makes no sense to open a business of this nature in Detroit. They'll need to implement a good security model, but not be too intrusive to deter suburban shoppers. I've seen people stealing everything in sight at the Westland Meijer, and I'm sure things won't be much better here.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    I hope people will respect this store enough to allow it to turn a profit. Unfortunately, unless you're given tax breaks it makes no sense to open a business of this nature in Detroit. They'll need to implement a good security model, but not be too intrusive to deter suburban shoppers. I've seen people stealing everything in sight at the Westland Meijer, and I'm sure things won't be much better here.
    So, Miles, did you report these thefts that you witnessed at the Westland Meijer, or do you subscribe to the "no snitching" rule?

I'm mostly kidding.

To the topic, I think the Meijer store has a good chance to succeed. The KMart on Eight and Telegraph [[my usual shopping spot for just about everything) seems to be doing well despite the concerns of shoplifiting and employee theft. While I hope Meijer does well at Gateway and I will patronize them from time to time, I'll probably still do most of my shopping at KMart. I try to be loyal to them since they are a company that has always had a presence in the City.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    Way to generalize Detroiters as horrible people that will rob the place blind and the suburban shoppers as saints that should be treated with a higher level of respect.

I'm curious why you compare the Westland store which is a decent hike from Detroit. I'd like to hear your rationale for comparing the two. I suspect I know based upon your post.

diver1369 Guest

MY cousins worked as managers at Farmer Jacks during the period when FJ opened a new store each year in the city of Detroit. Losses due to shoplifitng and pilfering forced Farmer Jacks to close the Detroit stores.

I wonder how the Meijer's store that replaced the K Mart store at 12 Mile/ Telegraph is doing.

That's funny how you mention Farmer Jack pulled out of Detroit... and yet you seemed to have forgotten that at the very same time, they pulled out of all the suburbs AND Micigan. Hello!!!! Don't post unless you want to share with us the full story

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    That's funny how you mention Farmer Jack pulled out of Detroit... and yet you seemed to have forgotten that at the very same time, they pulled out of all the suburbs AND Micigan. Hello!!!! Don't post unless you want to share with us the full story
    The closure of the Detroit stores my cousins managed happened well before the entire Farmer Jacks franchise collapsed.

Are you some sort of self-appointed monitor of this forum or are you just reacting to some inconvenient truths about Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    The closure of the Detroit stores my cousins managed happened well before the entire Farmer Jacks franchise collapsed.

Are you some sort of self-appointed monitor of this forum or are you just reacting to some inconvenient truths about Detroit?
    Or he is just stating facts. The local media still paints the image that FJ closed the store on Jeffereson because they could nto succeed there. The reality is that they pulled out of state.

You may be accurate with the other stores but the term 'all' is incorrect.

The same thing will happen at the Gateway.
    Whew.

*wipes sweat off brow*

I was seriously starting to doubt this was really DetroitYes. I thought I was in the Matrix for a minute.

As much as I would like a grocery store to come to our city, I think its a BAD, BAD, BAD idea. Where do you think all the homeless will go during winter when the shelters are full, or closed at night? They'll go to the place that's open 24 hours a day, warm, and won't kick you out because you could potentially be a shopper. You could expect one or both of the following:

1.) Higher prices from high theft
    2.) Sub-par quality products, basically the refuse from other stores to keep costs down.

I would love Meijer's to come to Detroit though, driving out to Dearborn Walmart isn't too fun.

-Tahleel

Presumably Meijer is aware of the potential problems. Maybe the company is run by idiots, certainly some companies seem to be. If not, they probably gave it some thought.

Opening a retail business just shouldn't be a problem. People need to change their outlook. The big bad corporation mantra from the "I can't" crowd perpetuates these problems. If the shoppers understood that store needs to make a profit and they are there for the city folks' benefit as well as their own, this might have an effect on shoplifting. The responsible people of Detroit need to start speaking up. As Bad as some of you hate Kwame, he had times when he got it right, with statements like "This is us doing this to us". Here is a new olive branch and opportunity so to speak with the building of a new retail store inside the city limits, a much needed resource, hopefully it works out.

MY cousins worked as managers at Farmer Jacks during the period when FJ opened a new store each year in the city of Detroit. Losses due to shoplifitng and pilfering forced Farmer Jacks to close the Detroit stores.

I wonder how the Meijer's store that replaced the K Mart store at 12 Mile/ Telegraph is doing.
    I stop at that Meijers when I'm on my way home from work sometimes. I fnd the store to be always busy, very clean and well stocked, super meat and produce departments, very friendly workers, lots of check out lanes open, easy in and easy out. Never had a bad shopping experience there.

diver1369 Guest

Glad to hear it. It left a huge void when KMart pulled out. I'm glad that Meijer was able to fill it.

Default I'll shop there

I live near 9 and Woodward and I will shop at the new Meijers. I get weary of all the us vs them on these threads. I don't see a wall separating the cities and thank God for new jobs.

I never thought I would be happy about a new Meijer but I must say, it sure is nice to see a retailer with some gonads for a change, instead of all these lily-livered, yellow-bellied cowards! I certainly can't understand Detroit residents saying yes, we need a major grocer in the city, but don't come here, we've got homeless! Let them worry about controlling the undesirable elements, you can just shop there!

1. People steal at every meijers around, all of them not in Detroit. It is to be expected. I don't think it will be any different here at the first store in Detroit.
    2. Meijer being 'the first big-box store' in Detroit doesn't worry me too much, better Meijer than Wall-Mart, for at least [[as far as I know) Meijer is a union shop. I doubt it will have much affect on the surrounding small businesses, as there aren't many to affect anyway.
    3. Although I'm overall glad about this development, I've seen a trend in Detroit where there will be a new suburban style stip plaza development next to an old commercial area, and the strip will devestate the old commercial area. Look at Highland Park near Manchester, why wasn't money that was invested into "Model T Plaza" and other like plazas instead get invested in restoring and expanding the existing commercial district? Regardless, I don't think this Meijer opening will be the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast