Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan Beyond Oakland County

Back in July I spent three days and two nights at my up-north-turf just outside of West Branch, but this time at a different house, a house owned by one of my friends. This photo tour provides a taste of life in the state of Michigan beyond the Oakland County border, from Flint all the way up to the very top of the mitten.

Our first photo is the metal shop of the massive General Motors Flint Assembly complex, one of only a handful of non-dealer automotive-related places still running in what was once the sister to Detroit in this industry.

Not far up is the massive I-75/I-69 interchange with ramps soaring high enough to see well beyond the Flint metropolis on clear days.

This billboard in Birch Run promotes the largest store in the world that sells only Christmas-related goodies almost all-year-round, located in nearby Frankenmuth. Behind it is the town's main movie house, Cinema Hollywood, which opened in 1997 as the first of the various theaters in the Emagine Entertainment chain. Out of view to the left across the highway are the Premium Outlets, one of a couple such places lining I-75 from Detroit up to the top of the mitten, alongside Great Lakes Crossing and the West Branch outlet mall.

Just outside of Saginaw is the towering Zilwaukee Bridge. One of the state's signature bridges, it was built in 1988, replacing an earlier drawbridge which often caused massive congestion, though it had been under construction since the 1970's with a few mishaps.

The top of the Zilwaukee Bridge offers majestic views over the surrounding countryside and well up the Saginaw River.

Taking I-675 south just past the Zilwaukee Bridge from the south brings you in the area of Fashion Square Mall, the anchor of one of the largest retail agglomerations in Saginaw.

US 10 once extended into Detroit, first on Woodward and later on the Lodge. In the 80's, it was cut significantly back to this interchange on I-75 west of Bay City, crossing this decorative overpass.

The western edge of the town of Linwood, several miles north of Bay City.

Along the east side of M-13 between Linwood and Pinconning is this seemingly long-abandoned kiddie amusement park, prominently featuring an old Routemaster double-decker bus straight from London.

An old grain elevator further up M-13 just outside of Pinconning now serves as mere eyecandy.

I doubt you will be able to find Fonzie at this drive-in restaurant on the north end of Pinconning, though...

Hay bales abound on this field near the border of Arenac and Ogemaw Counties.

A little corner gas station outside of Skidway Lake which has kept it's 76 branding for years.

This was the house I lived in when I lived in Skidway Lake for a few months in the summer of 2001 before I decided I was better off living the metro-area life I was used to. Not much has changed at this house in 15 years except for the change in the exterior paint from blue to beige and possibly that green shed-like addition.

Skidway Lake is mainly built around it's namesake lake, seen here at sundown in this shot taken from the boardwalk separating the lake from the town's main drag, built a couple years ago [[it wasn't built yet when I lived there).

A huge downhill-and-uphill ride on the road heading west out of Skidway Lake.

One of the several farms existing alongside the northern Michigan forests outside of West Branch.

West Branch's tallest structure is this water tower adorned with a smiley face...appropriately it shows up in this photo next to a sign for the town's Walmart store.

The tallest trees in lower Michigan abound everywhere at the Hartwick Pines State Park.

Even though forests become more and more endless the further north you go, there are still plenty of farms lining I-75 in the northern mitten.

Another feature of the northern stretches of I-75 are massive hills providing wonderful views.

Even a rest area on I-75 several miles south of Mackinaw City provides a platform to take advantage of the majestic views from these towering hills.

Central Avenue in Mackinaw City is lined with many boutiques and eateries to keep throngs of people occupied for as long as they can.

Before the advent of modern electronic devices, the Mackinac Point Lighthouse guided ferries, vessels and freighters between Lakes Huron and Michigan. Today, it serves as a centerpiece of Colonial Michilimackinac Park.

The Mackinac Bridge, when it opened in 1957 after decades of proposals, finally provided direct vehicular access between the two peninsulas of Michigan without the need for car and railroad ferries, as well as help make Upper Michigan and Mackinaw City major tourist destinations.

This photo tour ends with Mackinac Island as seen from the top of Lower Michigan. The Grand Hotel is immediately recognizable on the left.

I hope you enjoy this wonderful photo tour!
    Last edited by mtburb; October-10-16 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks, 'burb!!! You made this Detroit-to-Las Vegas transplant homesick. Well done.

Nice Photo's of the north country.
    Thanks for sharing.

G.Man

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Nice Photo's of the north country.
    Thanks for sharing.

G.Man
    Very nice indeed.

Home sweet home...

Very nice pictures. One of these days I need to drive through Northern Mich. My brother-in-law went on a golf vacation last yr. and loved it. I've never made it north of Flint, for that memorable trip to Autoworld!

I've always hated the new Zilwaukee bridge, even more so after they had to repair their own dangerous construction mistakes. After getting blown around on there during two trips with a van and a canoe, thereafter I just took the low road through Bay City, Pinconning, etc, than back on to 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I've always hated the new Zilwaukee bridge, even more so after they had to repair their own dangerous construction mistakes. After getting blown around on there during two trips with a van and a canoe, thereafter I just took the low road through Bay City, Pinconning, etc, than back on to 75.
    You don't want to drive on the Mackinac Bridge then, especially during high winds. That is a scary proposition. I remember high winds got hold of a Yugo back in the 80's, got under it, and blew it off the bridge, killing a women driving it.

Beautiful pix ... "Big Mac" is dramatically portrayed in your telephoto shot !!