Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Go 4 it.

Default Go 4 it.

Who remembers this station promo piece from the 80s? As a kid I used to love them...

Not to mention there's a name dropped at the end i havent heard in years...

http://www.clickondetroit.com

I remember this promo and I am a 90s kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

That last one is the one I've been looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Who remembers this station promo piece from the 80s? As a kid I used to love them...

Not to mention there's a name dropped at the end i havent heard in years...

http://www.clickondetroit.com
    As that link doesn't have the promo, what is the name that's dropped?

I take that back.. I don't remember these promos, but the station was definitely still using the tagline "Go 4 It" during the 90s.

oh i sure remember!

Jan Spencer was our neighbor when she won the Go 4 It promo. That was quite a big deal on our quiet block in Grandmont.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    I take that back.. I don't remember these promos, but the station was definitely still using the tagline "Go 4 It" during the 90s.
    I searched Youtube for the ones that I remember [[I was born in 1983), and I could only find the older ones. I certainly remember the lyrics to the advertisements\promos I saw.

I don't remember Kid Bits, but I do remember the music for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Thank you.

I'm a sucker for those jazzy 79'-84' station ID promos. Come home from Tally Hall or the Freedom Fest Fireworks to click on that stuff. I also goo-goo over the old PBS ID's that used oboes or synthesizers like they were in some odd post-modern music conservatory.

Speaking of post-modern and PBS, I feel Mummenschanz is our only hope against the godless invasion of psycho-clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    As that link doesn't have the promo, what is the name that's dropped?
    Mel Sillars [[i think thats how its spelled) i havent heard that name in years

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Mel Sillars [[i think thats how its spelled) i havent heard that name in years
    I remember hearing some time ago that Mal Sillars was now a real estate agent in Colorado. Don't know if that's still the case.

I remember these commercials fondly. And I can't say that about too many commercials. Some of the Fretter and Highland Appliance commercials also make the cut.

I also remember Mal Sillars fondly. Saw him once in a restaurant as a kid, and wanted to meet him. Asked my parents if I could ask him a question. I concocted the courage to walk up to his booth where he was sitting with his family, told him we would be playing our youth league soccer championship the next day, and asked what kind of weather we could expect for the game. He must have been tired of strangers interrupting his family time, but he handled it like a gentleman and gave me his forecast with a good-natured smile.
    Last edited by bust; October-22-16 at 02:31 PM.