Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sexual Assault on the Dequindre Cut

Help catch the guy:

"The 44-year-old woman was jogging on the Dequindre Cut path near Gratiot around 10:30 a.m. when an unknown man ran up behind her, circled her and grabbed her buttocks. According to a news release from Detroit Police, the woman was armed with a knife and swung it at the man to get him to stop. She was not injured, police said."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/91535858/

horrible news. Are there bicycle/moped police officers that go up and down the Cut? Maybe undercover? If not, that should be the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    horrible news. Are there bicycle/moped police officers that go up and down the Cut? Maybe undercover? If not, that should be the next step.
    There are bike officers, but I don't think they come often enough, IMHO. We've been generally incident-free for the most part on the Cut. This might be a good wake-up call for the Riverfront Conservancy to beef it up a little

"mutha fukka i ain't playin wit chu. i will cuttt u"

Brave woman! At least she was ready and mindful to respond. I doubt she was carrying the knife to slice potatoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-05-16 at 02:39 AM.

Can someone please explain the appeal of biking or jogging on this below grade path? I've seen the paths that some cities have on now defunct, elevated train tracks and completely understand the appeal of those because of the views and because you put your self in less danger by being elevated where anyone in the area can see you. The other thing that I don't understand about the cut is that this town needs all the pedestrians it can get [[including joggers) so why encourage them to go run out of sight, even if their numbers aren't that great at the moment? One of the fun things about jogging in a city is the activity of a busy sidewalk but to me this thing has all the appeal of a frickin treadmill with a slight chance of a mugging.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Can someone please explain the appeal of biking or jogging on this below grade path? I've seen the paths that some cities have on now defunct, elevated train tracks and completely understand the appeal of those because of the views and because you put your self in less danger by being elevated where anyone in the area can see you. The other thing that I don't understand about the cut is that this town needs all the pedestrians it can get [[including joggers) so why encourage them to go run out of sight, even if their numbers aren't that great at the moment? One of the fun things about jogging in a city is the activity of a busy sidewalk but to me this thing has all the appeal of a frickin treadmill with a slight chance of a mugging.
    Have you actually been on the cut?

Ha yes. Why do you ask?

Because 99.9 percent of people who have been on it get it and appreciate it. People don't jog or walk the highline in NYC because it is safer to be elevated, they use it because it is a unique repurposing of infrastructure, just like the cut. An unobstructed patch from the river to Eastern Market is nice for those who don't want to wait at stoplights and the murals and buildings add plenty of interest. I use it almost daily and there are always people out enjoying it. They are also adding other programing to the cut via a stage and gathering area. I am pretty sure you are in the minority on this one.

You might be right but then again you might be wrong, I don't know because I haven't done a survey. I found it to be a bad experience and my guess is that if it was as popular as you say it is there would be more people on it. In my opinion, it's not as good of a jog as Belle Isle, Downtown or even Jefferson for that matter. Just my opinion but the lack of runners leads me to believe others feel the same.

Lack of runners? What are you basing this on, the one time you went down there?

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Detroit is still one of the most likely cities in America to be robbed or murdered, but honestly as an occasional cyclist I still fear the drivers and poor road conditions more than I do the criminals. At least the Dequindre Cut is free of concrete surprises and gets one away from traffic. It's isolation also means that those up to no good tend to stand out like a sore thumb. At street level it's a lot harder to tell the intentions of random people you may pass on the street or sidewalk.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-04-16 at 07:34 PM.

I guess we have different expectations for what constitutes a lot of runners. Just because I only jogged it once or twice doesn't mean I haven't peaked down there to see what all the hype was about....just my personal experience and yes I'm down there many times a week and so far it looks like a lot of hype.

You make valid points Johhny5. For people that like to just focus and have a dedicated and smooth lane it does seem to make sense.
    Last edited by TTime; October-04-16 at 06:49 PM.

Gotcha. Been on it twice and you know enough to judge its popularity.

I was riding my bike on Belle Isle last week at 7am and didn't see a soul. It is a damn shame nobody is using that park anymore. I mean I can only assume that my limited experience is representative of the entire park at all times of the day. I even took a peak from the riverwalk and still didnt see anyone...

Look I didn't say Belle Isle was slammed with people because it's not. In fact it was pretty quiet during my walk there this Sunday at 11am. I just prefer it to the cut and yeah it only took a couple of times to figure out that I didn't like it even though you apparently love it. It only took me a couple of times to figure out I didn't like Gary, Indiana too but hey to each his own I guess .

I think you missed the sarcasm. I was applying your same logic to Belle Isle. You don't have to like it, but you are trying to say that it is all hype and that very few people use it based on your two experiences there. Didn't it sound stupid when I said that same thing regarding Belle Isle?

I did miss your sarcasm and hey man have a lovely evening but maybe I'll send you some Alice In Chains for your lonely underground workout....yes I'm laughing about this because I realize how silly it is to continue this conversation. Enjoy the cut [[no sarcasm intended because if you enjoy it that's really all that should matter)
    Last edited by TTime; October-04-16 at 07:13 PM.

Looks like they have posted some still pictures and a video of the suspect. Hopefully someone knows this guy and turns him in before he hurts anyone.

She tweren't charged with carrying a concealed weapon?

Lucliky it wasn't a guy in a clown [[Juggalo) outfit. She will slice that joker and give that guy a new frown in its face.

Some would prefer a jury of 12 over pall bearers of 6! I doubt she will be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    She tweren't charged with carrying a concealed weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Some would prefer a jury of 12 over pall bearers of 6! I doubt she will be charged.
    No she won't nor should she considering the current state of affairs. A Home Depot box cutter folding razor is considered a tool I hear.

Darn I just saw a terrible pun...

She could have delivered a Dequindre Cut.....

Good. She changed the course of action of the person upon her - he probably thought he had captive prey to do as he pleased. Sometimes an apposing conversation will not do!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    No she won't nor should she considering the current state of affairs. A Home Depot box cutter folding razor is considered a tool I hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast