Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default other shoe; Lansing Politicians move to get rid of the Film Rebate

Anyone know which legislator is going to introduce the bills? I suggest everyone flood his/her office with calls and emails. I find it incomprehensible with Michigan being in a depression for the better part of this decade, that one of our leaders would kill something that is having a positive effect.
    Last edited by Frank Drebin; August-17-09 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
    Anyone know which legislator is going to introduce the bills? I suggest everyone flood his/her office with calls and emails. I find it incomprehensible with Michigan being in a depression for the better part of this decade, that one of our leaders would kill something that is having a positive effect.
    Killing this has been Nancy Cassis' [[R, 15th district) pet project, however, it would appear that Granholm is on board....
    Granholm pitches tax plan to reduce budget deficit

Mark Hornbeck / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

Lansing -- Gov. Jennifer Granholm has proposed a revenue hike of nearly $700 million -- including an entertainment tax, another 25-cent boost in the cigarette tax and a penny levy on water bottles -- to help erase next year's budget deficit.
    Sources closest to budget negotiations said the plan also would slightly reduce the state's film tax credit and an income tax break for low-income families, and the governor would phase out the widely unpopular 22 percent surcharge on the Michigan Business Tax over three years starting in 2011.
    The revenue increases, which would generate about $685 million a year, have not been endorsed by legislative leaders. The plan was offered in closed-door budget talks, sources said.

Most likely it's Nancy Cassis. She is on Detroit Today right now, but I didn't hear most of the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Killing this has been Nancy Cassis' [[R, 15th district) pet project, however, it would appear that Granholm is on board....
    Funny, Cassis is from the party who always says "cut taxes cut taxes cut taxes", but when taxes actually are cut and it has a positive affect on an area, she wants to kill it. Very hypocritical. Wonder who has written her a big check for her campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
    Funny, Cassis is from the party who always says "cut taxes cut taxes cut taxes", but when taxes actually are cut and it has a positive affect on an area, she wants to kill it. Very hypocritical. Wonder who has written her a big check for her campaign.
    well, to be fair, the argument is that it's too big a tax cut and there is some controversy over if it is having a positive net impact or is merely a subsidy to a business that will leave as soon as someone tops it.

I mean, how about a a 45% tax break to car manufacturers? Auto suppliers? Or, Hotels?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    well, to be fair, the argument is that it's too big a tax cut and there is some controversy over if it is having a positive net impact or is merely a subsidy to a business that will leave as soon as someone tops it.

I mean, how about a a 45% tax break to car manufacturers? Auto suppliers? Or, Hotels?
    True and I could live with cutting it back a bit, which is what it appears Granholm intends to do. I'd just hate to see ground being broken on the new studio in Allen Park and then have construction come to a halt because all the film makers cut and run because they lost the tax credit.

senncassis@senate.michigan.gov

she is from Novi and Chairs the Senate Finance Committee

Other Senators on the Committee:
    FINANCE:Senators Cassis [[C), Gilbert [[VC), Pappageorge, Jansen, Jacobs [[MVC), Cherry, and Whitmer
    Clerk: Traci Gorman, 905 Farnum Bldg. Phone: [[517) 373-1758

Judson Gilbert II
    Republican of District 25
    Office Phone: [[517) 373-7708
    Office Location: 705 Farnum Building
    E-mail Address: SenJGilbert@senate.michigan.gov

John Pappageorge
    Republican of District 13
    Office Phone: [[517) 373-2523
    Office Location: 1020 Farnum Building
    E-mail Address: SenJPappageorge@senate.michigan.gov

Mark C. Jansen
    Republican of District 28
    Office Phone: [[517) 373-0797
    Office Location: 520 Farnum Buildingl
    E-mail Address: SenMJansen@senate.michigan.gov

Gilda Z. JacobsDemocrat of District 14
    Office Phone: [[517) 373-7888
    Office Location: 1015 Farnum Building
    E-mail Address: SenGJacobs@senate.michigan.gov
    Deborah Cherry
    Democrat of District 26
    Office Phone: [[517) 373-1636
    Office Location: 910 Farnum Building
    E-mail Address: SenDCherry@senate.michigan.gov

Deborah Cherry
    Democrat of District 26
    Office Phone: [[517) 373-1636
    Office Location: 910 Farnum Building
    E-mail Address: SenDCherry@senate.michigan.gov

If you are interested in writing the Senators, you should mention how the Film Incentives have had an impact on your business or community. Try to avoid the inflamed language so often heard in these parts.

Mention the home down the street that was purchased by a gal who moved back to Michigan from two decades in California. Mention your nephew who is going to film school at UoM or Wayne.

Be Concrete, clear, and brief. For example:

Dear Senator:

I am writing in support of the Michigan Film Incentives. I have seen with my own eyes, the positive impact the Film Incentives have had on our economy.
    - POINT ONE
    - POINT TWO
    - POINT THREE
    In the days ahead you will be asked to make massive changes to the current program. I strongly urge you to keep the Film Incentives in place and thereby protect to future expanse of the Michigan economy.

Respecfully,

YOU