Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Home insurance

Default Home insurance

I am shopping insurance for a home I am in the process of buying in Bagley. The quotes I'm getting are extremely high. Can anyone recommend an insurance company they're happy with?

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I am shopping insurance for a home I am in the process of buying in Bagley. The quotes I'm getting are extremely high. Can anyone recommend an insurance company they're happy with?
    See if you can get Michigan Basic

Welcome to Detroit. Have you gotten car insurance quotes yet?

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Fremont Insurance. Moved to the east side a couple months ago

Insurance companies are leery of underwriting home-owners policies in Detroit after the great recession. Many won't even touch you with a ten foot pole unless you currently have an existing policy with them. Hence, more red-lining. You may want to look into combining your auto and homeowners to see if you can get a discount. I have Auto Owners of Michigan and they underwrite all my insurance needs, but they have required me to jump thru a few hoops on a couple properties. While 2K/year seems unreasonable depending on your location and replacement value [[which is about a 500 percent increase from 1999-2000), it seems to becoming the new norm.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    See if you can get Michigan Basic
    Expensive, limited coverage's. Better then nothing.

When I looked into homeowner's insurance, I was asked if the house needed any repairs "more substantial than chipped or peeling paint." Well, yeah.

Michigan Basic comes up a lot because they insure vacant homes in Detroit, which few if any other insurers will touch. Vacant house policies don't ask about the condition of the house, except to confirm that the first two stories of doors and windows are covered with metal bars or plywood. Well, no.

Renters insurance is still a great deal. A more accurate name would be "all the shit you own that isn't a car and isn't a house insurance." The value of the dwelling is in the dweller, eh?

Might just be my peer group, but most people I know in Detroit have little or no insurance coverage.

Friend of mine got her HO's insurance through Cosco.

A phoenix public adjuster will help you with all the insurance-related issues. It is always better to take advice from experts. They will give their best suggestions and will keep you up to date. If you have faced any kind of damage then they will do all the documentation process and will fight for your insurance claim.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherRogers View Post
    A phoenix public adjuster will help you with all the insurance-related issues. It is always better to take advice from experts. They will give their best suggestions and will keep you up to date. If you have faced any kind of damage then they will do all the documentation process and will fight for your insurance claim.
    You licensed in Michigan?

Although I live in St. Clair Shores, Progressive got me a rate that was a rip off.... and AAA gave me insurance for $600 less per year... even though I wasn't auto insured thru them [[but still had to pay the AAA membership fee).

I've always have gotten a decent rate from AAA on renters insurance + car+collision. Just sayin.

I have pretty good rates from AAA, and I also live in Bagley. I bundle the homeowners, car, and tow, and get quite a discount. I'll tell you the numbers if you PM me.

The State Farm agent at 7 Mile and Livernois has a good reputation with my neighbors. https://goo.gl/maps/LyJ7ouxH2D92

Welcome to the neighborhood! I hope you decide to join your block club if you have one, and the Bagley Community Council https://bagleycommunity.org/

Esurance saved me big $$$, it's part of Allstate, but all done online.

The parasitic plague of the modern America - insurance.

I'm not in Bagley [[currently live just west of Marygrove), but I was recently quoted 1400/year by Homesite Insurance Company of the Midwest [[by way of Liberty Muteal). for a property in Mohican Regent. It needs some serious work and I told them as much including roof. They still worked with me.