Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Has school of choice affected the value of your house ?

I just moved out of south Saint Clair Shores after 20 yrs my neighborhood is still as nice as when I moved into it 20 years ago but my house isn't worth much more then I paid for it while my brothers house in Shelby Twp doubled in a much shorter time. From what I am understanding it is because of the school of choice and South Lake High School going down so much in the last 10 years.
    Earlier this year it made the news for so many fights breaking out all the parents I know with high school kids in My area drive there kids to schools farther north. Has anyone else had the value of there house affected by school of choice ?

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/90509180/

Enrollment trends in St. Clair Shores show how choice can impact segregation among white and black students. While the Lakeview district is 80% white, the face of South Lake Schools in St. Clair Shores is markedly different.

Records show that 23% of the school-age population in South Lake is black, but its schools are 47% African American.
    i opted for bloomfield address with b'ham schools. my house is worth more with b'ham school vs bloomfield schools, however local millage is higher due to b'ham schools. it's all shady...look at how b'ham is 'school of choice':
    https://www.mackinac.org/18177

Though Birmingham will be a Schools of Choice district, few nonresident students will be let in. Just six spots were made available, and only for 11th grade nonresident students to attend the district's alternative high school.
    With that small move, Birmingham will now meet seven of the state's best practices. The district will receive $430,000 in state incentive money for the change, in addition to the state foundation allowance money tied to each nonresident student.
    This isn't the first time that nonresident students will be allowed in to Birmingham schools. Birmingham has long allowed nonresident students to attend its schools — as long as they fork over up to $13,150 in tuition.
    Last edited by hybridy; September-26-16 at 09:04 AM.

When I was house shopping this spring, I kept finding nice homes in southern St. Clair Shores, but when I saw that South Lake district, I thought it was too risky a bet to move there. School of choice is definitely hurting southern St. Clair Shores.

The irony is that every time the 3 school districts [[South Lake, Lakeview, Lakeshore) have a referendum to merge... South Lake was the most against it because they had the most manufacturing taxes. Due to the situation mentioned in the above comments.... Lakeview and Lakeshore want nothing to do with South Lake.

I live in the middle district... the Lakeview district [[10-12 Mile Rd.), and property values are rising there. Of course having great housing stock, and proximity to the school, city library, great stores, and the freeway interchange [[I-94/I-696) are all pluses.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-26-16 at 12:59 PM.

Thankfully our school district, GPPSS, does not participate in schools of choice. Property values throughout the district have been rising.

I have income properties in south S.C.S and I can attest that the original poster is correct. While values have risen in the last 5 years the rate of increase is not as great as in other nearby communities. Also, potential tenants express concern about the poor quality of the schools. Most of my tenants do not have school-age children.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

i opted for bloomfield address with b'ham schools. my house is worth more with b'ham school vs bloomfield schools, however local millage is higher due to b'ham schools. it's all shady...look at how b'ham is 'school of choice':
    At one time, parents of high school age children living in the northern suburbs paid tuition for their kids to attend Detroit high schools because of the much richer curriculum offerings in DPS as opposed to those in the smaller suburban districts. Denby's class offerings used to look like a college catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The irony is that every time the 3 school districts [[South Lake, Lakeview, Lakeshore) have a referendum to merge... South Lake was the most against it because they had the most manufacturing taxes. Due to the situation mentioned in the above comments.... Lakeview and Lakeshore want nothing to do with South Lake.

I live in the middle district... the Lakeview district [[10-12 Mile Rd.), and property values are rising there. Of course having great housing stock, and proximity to the school, city library, great stores, and the freeway interchange [[I-94/I-696) are all pluses.
    Off-topic questions

Question 1: Does anybody on the DetroitYes forum actually live in Detroit?

Question 2: Just curious, can you elaborate on the housing stock in your area of St. Clair Shores? Is it really above average? I was under the impression the city is 90% small brick bungalows and ranches from the 40's to the 60's. Can you provide a Google Maps link? Also, what great stores in your area? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Off-topic questions

Question 2: Just curious, can you elaborate on the housing stock in your area of St. Clair Shores? Is it really above average? I was under the impression the city is 90% small brick bungalows and ranches from the 40's to the 60's. Can you provide a Google Maps link? Also, what great stores in your area? Thank you!
    Well most of all the canal streets are in the Lakeview section of SCS from 10-11 Mile... and homes with a canal along the back of their property have a high premium value, especially those on private drives. The nicer housing stock in the area is closer to Jefferson [[mostly all brick)... with wider lots and each house is a different design. One would think that the closer to I-94 you get, the less costly the homes. However there are many streets that have homes on double lots with fireplaces and attached 2 car garages. There are some wooden veneer houses in this mid section of SCS, but those are usually congregated into a few streets.

As for retail, we have one of 3 Nino Salvaggio's Italian Markets [[11 & Harper), which is a premium market [[other 2 are in Troy and on M-59), lots of smaller specialty stores and restaurants. Harper has the stores/restaurants/bars, and Little Mack has the medical offices. One of the nicer features is the proximity to the I-94/I-696 interchange [[on the SCS/Roseville border. You can get to downtown and Southfield in 20 minutes, and Royal Oak or Mt. Clemens in less than 15.

For a better view of the area...try taking Erben St. at Jefferson [[just S. of 11 Mile)... and follow your way around.....

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4935...7i13312!8i6656

I live in a smaller brick home neighborhood closer to I-94 near 11 Mile, but was shocked to find the house across the street from me going for $189 K [[I doubt they'll get anyting close to that) that a developer bought and fixed up the house for sale. There are many houses close to Jefferson that can sell $250-$300K, with canal and lakefront homes going way over that.

My favorite house is on Erben St. and has a bit of an Indian Village feel to it, but in a modern sense.... with two 2 car garages with upper floors....
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4933...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by Gistok; September-28-16 at 05:36 PM.

Just a comment on your description. 99% of homes in Michigan are wood framed. They then either have brick veneer or siding. Even though they have brick on the outside. They are still wood framed. They would need brick for the structural elements to be brick framed.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

That's right, even the enrollment data from Schooldigger.com tells the tale. I was wondering why the once nice neighborhoods at the south end of St. Clair Shores property values drop all the sudden. It's the school of Choice program for student enrollment [[by means of race) is the cause. When that ridiculous program was adapted in the early 2000s by those Romans in Lansing, all the sudden [[mostly parents from low-income folks who are living on welfare checks and food stamps from Detroit)start sending their kids to suburban schools.

South Lake Public Schools has seen a 50% increase of low-income folks from Detroit ghetto hoods since early 2000s. This program is not only hitting South Lake Public Schools, But East Detroit Public Schools, Clintondale Public Schools, Clarenceville Public Schools and many more. Teachers and administrators from Detroit Public Schools were fighting against the schools of choice for many years and lost. They failing district will have to restructure to keep the low-income folks who are living on welfare checks and food stamps from going to better schools in the greener pastures.

Birmingham Public Schools will have to be careful of picking a student who will be coming to their award wining schools. Especially picking a kid who did not succeed in their grades or got suspended from another school. Many school districts will have to start cherry picking kids from other cities they can get better grades.

School of choices in Metro-Detroit area is a terrible ideal and needs to be abolished completely. You of kid from some ghetto has not succeed in their grades. It's lead to that child is some problems in its life and the school district itself. Here is way to fix these problems without creating more solutions in our school districts:

1. Parents, you're the teachers, too. Teach your children survival skills, street smarts and to how to defend themselves against the enemies instead of becoming one. [[ By the way, It's ok to spank your child to enforce discipline. It's works for me.)

2. Teachers and administrators, enforce more educational discipline. to the students. YES, increase zero tolerance. Take back your dignity. Bring back the golden rule.

This is the WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Where the golden rule should be restored[[Back to the Schoolhouse).

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Question 1: Does anybody on the DetroitYes forum actually live in Detroit?
    Hello, how are you today?