Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 14 Years ago today, radio legend falls silent

Detroit radio legend J. P. McCarthy passed away 14 years ago today. I remember there was a city wide effort for bone marrow donors. My wife and I had went to be tested just 2 days prior and were hopeful we could contribute to helping him. Everyone knew he was sick, but it wasn't apparent to the city just how sick he was. We truly lost the Great Voice of the Great Lakes 14 years ago.

If anything, it did heighten bone marrow donation awareness and maybe there was someone else who was saved for these efforts.
    Last edited by zitro; May-01-10 at 07:08 AM.

He was great. WJR has never been the same since.

It was one of the hardest phone calls I had to make when I called my parents in Arizona to inform them of JP's death. My father was a huge JP fan and never missed listening to him in the morning, and tuned in to the Focus Show most days too. I still remember visiting Studio D and attending the Focus Show once or twice. JP will be long remembered!!