Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Carmen Harlan To Retire

An end to an era. One of the last great staples of Detroit media is now retiring after 38 years. She had such poise, grace, and great sense of fashion. I'm sure I will speak for many as we wish her well in retirement.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/colu...wdiv/90826480/

I will miss her. She is a class act. Looks like the Free Press is in need of an editor, though.

Good for her! I hope she enjoys retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I will miss her. She is a class act. Looks like the Free Press is in need of an editor, though.
    Right?! That one sentence, "She also said she’s not doing finding a new path." What does this mean?!

Kudos to Ms. Harlan. I'm sure there will be a special event to acknowledge her retirement.

I remember when she was starting out and did news briefs on the radio with, I think, JJ & the Morning Crew [[or it may have been Michael Collins).

I'm 34...so I've never known a world without Carmen Harlan. What will I do?

Class act indeed. Unflappable on TV. I have met her a few times -- has always been lovely, gracious and warm in my dealings with her.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    Class act indeed. Unflappable on TV. I have met her a few times -- has always been lovely, gracious and warm in my dealings with her.
    I have also had the pleasure of meeting her and conversing her several times. She is the epitome of class and graciousness as well as a very down to Earth woman. The friendly and warm demeanor she displays on the air is indeed genuine.

Metro Detroit media will be all the poorer for losing her.

When I was a kid I thought she was the most beautiful woman on TV. As I grew up, I thought of "Mort & Carmen" as both part of the family, and sort of the voice of God. Since the role of news anchors, in relation to the news, station & community is highly diminished nowadays, there will not likely be any more Carmen Harlans. Kudos to a long and distinguished career, Carmen, and for staying in your hometown. I am sure she had offers elsewhere. Thanks for the memories. Enjoy your retirement [[and going to bed at a reasonable hour).