Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Most Devastated Neighborhood

Recently used Google to view an old friend's neighborhood near Helen and Marcus, west of Vandyke and north of I 94. Absolutely no homes on her block and nearby blocks. Not far from a Detroit Water & Sewerage facility. I have not been there since 1968. Did not expect to see anything as remembered, but what happened? Seems to be totally abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Recently used Google to view an old friend's neighborhood near Helen and Marcus, west of Vandyke and north of I 94. Absolutely no homes on her block and nearby blocks. Not far from a Detroit Water & Sewerage facility. I have not been there since 1968. Did not expect to see anything as remembered, but what happened? Seems to be totally abandoned.
    That area was cleared out back in the late 90s for proposed construction of this huge industrial park that never came to fruition.

However, the Google Maps image is old. Universal Truck recently built a brand new facility on some of that vacant land at the corner of St. Cyril and Miller. This same area is apparently being targeted yet again for an industrial park.

Thanks, 313WC. This forum is a great source for questions about this town. I thought that industrial park was to be closer to I 75. Memory fades sometimes! I think you nailed it.

I had very close friend who lived over there on Carrie just south of Huber as that neighborhood started emptying out. It really accelerated after the Chrysler Huber Foundry closed. His kids went to school at Cooper, which was soon thereafter abandoned. Eventually, his was one of only 2 houses on his block, and in the winter the snow would drift over all of the streets making the whole neighborhood close to impassable. The city then bought out what few owners were left, blocked off the streets, and tore all the houses down, in preparation for the stillborn industrial park. He says he still misses that neighborhood though, and the house his kids grew up in.

Default St Cyril area 1961

Here’s an aerial photo of that area from 1961. It has Huber St near the top, Mt. Elliott to the left, Miller St near the bottom, and St. Cyril and Van Dyke at the right. The intersection of Helen and Marcus would be just a little up from the very center of the picture. I lived near there and I remember that area. It was a blue-collar working class neighborhood where everyone took care of their property, went to church on Sunday, and kept the area safe.

Name:  St Cyril.jpg
Views: 2335
Size:  152.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Here’s an aerial photo of that area from 1961. It has Huber St near the top, Mt. Elliott to the left, Miller St near the bottom, and St. Cyril and Van Dyke at the right. The intersection of Helen and Marcus would be just a little up from the very center of the picture. I lived near there and I remember that area. It was a blue-collar working class neighborhood where everyone took care of their property, went to church on Sunday, and kept the area safe.

Name:  St Cyril.jpg
Views: 2335
Size:  152.9 KB
    There's Burroughs Jr. High on the right with the Lodge Playfield behind it. I went there. Then years later we would drag race down Huber from St. Cyril towards Mt. Elliot. St. Cyril Church is just northwest of the Jr. High. This post brought back memories. Did a lot of walking to school from the otherside of 94 those days. Used that area as a shortcut to Hamtramck a lot too.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; September-24-16 at 02:19 PM.

Previous posters, what time period did you live there? The neighborhood fascinates me and its history would be interesting. I just remember large homes and a real neighborhood vibe.
    Last edited by Bobl; September-24-16 at 09:13 PM.

Default Around 1950

Here's a photo I found from an old post taken around 1950 at the corner of Helen St. and Marcus St.

Name:  St cyril-3 marcus-helen 1950-1.jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  52.9 KB

This was a time when kids just graduating high school could jump right into a high paying job at the auto plants. I had friends that worked at the Huber Ave. foundry while finishing 12th grade at Kettering. They could walk to work although they were the ones with cash and had nice cars. The plant is at the top of the picture. Chrysler was really big in Detroit proper them days.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; September-25-16 at 10:53 AM.

The Most devastated ghetto hoods I know in Detroit are:

1. BRUSH PARK

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS became an area of refuge for homeless folks and criminals.

2. SOUTH CASS CORRIDOR

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS became an area of refuge for homeless folks and criminals.

3. BRIGHTMOOR

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS and Mary Jane smokers. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks and criminals.

4. ST. CYRIL

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS, turned into a urban prairie .became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.

5. GRIXDALE

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.

6. CHALMERS JEFFERSON [[NORTH)

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals. [[TECHICALLY SOME WHITE FOLKS BURN DOWN THEIR HOOD JUST TO KEEP BLACK FOLKS AWAY FROM THE GROSSE POINTES.)

7. POLONIA

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.

8. LITTLE ITALY

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals. [[TECHNICALLY THE BEST FRIENDS GANG ALONG WITH WHITE BOY RICK AND CURRY BROS. TOOK CARE THE REST.)

9. CHALDEANTOWN

10. CHINATOWN [[FROM MICHIGAN AND THIRD ST TO CASS AND PETERBORO ST.)
    Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.[[TECHICALLY NO COMMUNITY CULTURAL CENTER, MIX UP OF THEIR LANGUAGES THROUGH STUDENT IMMIGRATION TO WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY AND THE MURDER OF VINCENT CHIN IN HIGHLAND PARK, MI. FEARED CHINESE FOLKS AND MOVE AWAY.)

10. LOWER WEST SIDE AND CORKTOWN NORTH

11. CODY ROUGE

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies.[[mostly south of Joy Rd. to Tireman St.) Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.

13. WARRENDALE

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Became an area of refuge for clique gangs, criminals and wild rabid animals.

14. MACK ALIVE AREA

16. DEXTER AVE. FROM DAVISON ST. TO JOY RD.

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for long ago neighborhood street gangs like the Y.B.I's, Coney Onlies, Black Killers and Zone 8, homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.

17. VIRGINIA PARK AREA FROM ROSA PARKS BLVD. TO W. GRAND BLVD.

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for long ago neighborhood street gangs like the Y.B.I's, Coney Onlies, Black Killers and Zone 8, homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.[[TECHNICALLY BY THE RIOT OF 1967.)

18. WHAT'S LEFT OF MEXICANTOWN

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.[[TECHNICALLY BY FREEWAY DEVELOPMENT AND MARTY MAROON'S CRAZY BRIDGE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS.)

19. DEL-REY

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.[[TECHNICALLY BY INDUSTRIAL GROWTH, TOXIC WASTE DUMPS AND A BIG TOILET.)

20. OAKWOOD HEIGHTS

Destroyed by Marathon Oil refinery development and pollution and turned it into a industrial park for future toxic waste dump.

21. NORTH END

22. WARREN AVE. FROM LIVERNOIS BLVD. TO DEARBORN BORDER

23. PARADISE VALLEY

Destroyed to make way for I-75 Freeway planned by a majority White Detroit City Council. [[TECHNICALLY TO KICK BLACKS OUT FROM DOWNTOWN DETROIT.)

24. BLACK BOTTOM

Destroyed to make way for Lafayette Park planned by a majority White Detroit City Council. They see the area is too ghetto and a Hooverville-like slum. [[TECHNICALLY TO KICK BLACKS AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN DETROIT.)

25. FERRY HOMES

Destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks, criminals and wild rabid animals.[[TECHNICALLY TO BE RE-DEVELOPED TO FILLED WITH MID INCOME WITH PERFECT CREDIT FOLKS AND YOUNG PROFESSIONALS)

26. NORTH END CASS CORRIDOR.

Parts of of neighborhood were destroyed by low-income folks, prostitutes DEAD[[C) KRAK HEADS. Some hoods turned into a urban prairies. Became an area of refuge for homeless folks and criminals. [[TECHNICALLY TO BE RE-DEVELOPED TO FILLED WITH MID INCOME WITH PERFECT CREDIT FOLKS, YOUNG PROFESSIONALS, COLLEGE STUDENTS FILLED WITH HIP FERNDALE-LIKE POP ART STORES AND RESTAURANTS WITH VERY HIGH RENTS.)
    Last edited by Danny; September-26-16 at 01:02 PM.

Morningside is rough, hope it comes
    back.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ... Destroyed by low-income folks....
    That's a suspiciously impressive list of accomplishments by meager "low-income folks."

Perhaps the prey is being yoked by the predator?

Perhaps the Parasitic Saboteurs in Power™ deserve a bit more scorn than those not in power?
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-25-16 at 10:15 PM.

Looking at the current google maps image, I also noticed that just to the east there is another neighborhood that is pretty much gone. Looks like 90% of the homes are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    This was a time when kids just graduating high school could jump right into a high paying job at the auto plants. I had friends that worked at the Huber Ave. foundry while finishing 12th grade at Kettering. They could walk to work although they were the ones with cash and had nice cars. The plant is at the top of the picture. Chrysler was really big in Detroit proper them days.
    Yep, I worked at Dodge Truck for a summer. My friend on Helen went to Osborn. If you wanted a job that paid a living wage, Chrysler was often hiring,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's a suspiciously impressive list of accomplishments by meager "low-income folks."

Perhaps the prey is being yoked by the predator?

Perhaps the Parasitic Saboteurs in Power™ deserve a bit more scorn than those not in power?
    Low income folks play a big role in Detroit's ghetto hoods. When more poor folks move into what was once middle income white Detroit neighborhoods, White folks where in shocked to see two to ten black families living next door to them or across the street in every block. Suburban development was in the works and cookie cutter inner-ring sub-divisions were being built along the cheap open land for industries. That leads to modernizing automation alley. White families in Detroit had found their area of refuge from the black folks to their point of view "causing hoodlum trouble!" White folks who still own most Detroit homes. became landlords. Half of them become slumlords. Ripping low-income folks off of their rent money. White owned real estate brokers hired black kids to ride their bike into white Detroit neighborhoods so they can get fear to sell their homes to black families.

Once middle income white folks moved out. Middle income black folks moved in. They after a few years go by middle income black Detroit families move out some became landlords and slumlords then low-income folks come in. Then the devastation of several Detroit neighborhoods begin.

Add in folks lost their jobs,mom and pop storefronts disappearing in an alarming rate. Folks applying for welfare checks and food stamps, increase divorce rate since 1975, single mothers playing house, father absent and kids doing thuggery. Kids getting pick on from school to their home until the group together and form street gangs. Kids doing drugs along their parents and lone adults. Black folks donning their hoodies to rob, shoot and kill, kill, kill for anything they could get their hands on.

Yes most Detroit neighborhoods are devastated and almost being destroyed just because of two words RACE AND CLASS! And its going to remain they way until someone or anyone steps up and fix up those areas.

As for right now I see Dan Gilbert step up and fix up all of Downtown Detroit. He's buying up buildings that have not been occupied since the Coleman Young Years. He's creating community events to lure people with money into Gilberttown Detroit. He's bring in Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs. More than Mike Illitch! I would like to see rest of Detroit do the same.

We can bring the devastation of Detroit areas to an end and make a comeback if do something about and come up with quick solutions to make Detroit a world class city again. So let's stop blaming poor folks and rich folks, black folks did this and white folks did that and fix up Detroit. All this political double-talk is no solution to Detroit's devastation, take action!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Looking at the current google maps image, I also noticed that just to the east there is another neighborhood that is pretty much gone. Looks like 90% of the homes are gone.
    The neighborhood between City Airport and Van Dyke is also being progressively cleared out by the city for future development [[perhaps of the airport itself?). But that entire part of the east side has been pretty much devastated by depopulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Yep, I worked at Dodge Truck for a summer. My friend on Helen went to Osborn. If you wanted a job that paid a living wage, Chrysler was often hiring,
    You guys are all just a bit older than me I think. By the time I was coming out of high school almost all of those jobs were suddenly gone. My father couldn't understand why I couldn't just go around to the hiring offices and get a job like my older cousins had [[and he had, back when he was a teenager). I did catch on with Oldsmobile for a while when I went to Lansing, but then I got laid off just over 3 months later.

My friend was living over there on Carrie and working sheet metal at a place up Mound [[he would later become a DPD cop). The area was declining a bit by then, but still fully populated. 2 years later the foundry closed and by 1985 the neighborhood was already mostly empty. By the time he left a few years later his was one of only 2 standing and occupied houses on his block.

Petoskey-Otsego has seen its better days.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The neighborhood between City Airport and Van Dyke is also being progressively cleared out by the city for future development [[perhaps of the airport itself?). But that entire part of the east side has been pretty much devastated by depopulation.
    The area east of Van Dyke was being cleared out for a City Airport expansion that also never came to fruition.

Danny, you provided a very exhaustive list of blighted districts in Detroit, but were they in any particular order? You put Brush Park at the top of your list, but Brush Park's close proximity to places like Comerica Park, Woodward Avenue, Downtown, Foxtown and Midtown, gives Brush Park strong prospects of redevelopment.
    Last edited by night-timer; September-30-16 at 02:12 AM.