Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where Would An Apple Store Go?

The article below discusses what Apple has [[and is?) doing in other cities:

"They said the proposed store was reminiscent of the location Apple opened in May on San Francisco’s Union Square, which in addition to the company’s products includes a plaza with outdoor seating, public Wi-Fi and events space where the company hosts concerts, forums and children’s events.In entering top cities recently, Apple has also eschewed glass-box designs for locations retrofitted into prominent, historic buildings including in New York’s Grand Central Terminal, on Regent Street in London and in a 130-year-old former bank in Paris."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

Bottom floor of the GSTV building would be a good location. Or possibly the corner of 1001 closest to Campus Martius. Depending on what happens with the Hudsons site I could see apple holding off and getting a prime spot in the new development there.

Why are people so obsessed with getting an Apple Store? There's one in Mishawaka, Indiana and many other insignificant towns [[eg whatever town Partridge Creek Mall calls home) so if you do or don't have one it doesn't really mean anything.
    Last edited by TTime; September-21-16 at 09:11 PM.

Strongly agree with your sentiment.
    A cellphone and computer store is an afterthought that comes after a neighborhood is renewed.
    A cellphone and computer store is not the driving force that renews a neighborhood and Apple is not in the business of rebuilding neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Why are people so obsessed with getting an Apple Store? There's one in Mishawaka, Indiana and many other insignificant towns [[eg whatever town Partridge Creek Mall calls home) so if you do or don't have one it doesn't really mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Bottom floor of the GSTV building would be a good location. Or possibly the corner of 1001 closest to Campus Martius. Depending on what happens with the Hudsons site I could see apple holding off and getting a prime spot in the new development there.
    Maybe be the anchor store for the revitalization of the Gratiot-7 Mile shopping area? Just think of what the availability of all those expensive Apple products would do to revive the economy of the east side. Plenty of five finger discounts.

^^^ Not if they take a cue from the Asian Beauty Supplies stores! They teather their small items with sensors and keep the expensive items behind the counter. For Apple it's all
    'expensive' [[from a charger on up) so they will have to work out additional shrink prevention options. Tablets, Iphones and Ipods are can be rendered 'bricked' [[fairly useless to the thieve) if stolen I suppose.

Why are people so obsessed with getting an Apple Store?
    Good question. I don't think anyone really knows. It's sort of like dogs barking. One starts, then the rest follow, but none of them really knows what's going on.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-22-16 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Not if they take a cue from the Asian Beauty Supplies stores! They teather their small items with sensors and keep the expensive items behind the counter. For Apple it's all
    'expensive' [[from a charger on up) so they will have to work out additional shrink prevention options. Tablets, Iphones and Ipods are can be rendered 'bricked' [[fairly useless to the thieve) if stolen I suppose.
    One can learn a lot from Asian Beauty Supplies.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...33387755,d.amc

Also agreed. We joked about this new business in Capitol Park a while ago but this is the real retail story we should want to be successful. Two local girls return to Detroit to start an upscale service business in a reviving corner of downtown.

Why are people so obsessed with getting an Apple Store? ...
    It would be nice to have something ala what was discussed in the first post about what Apple did with their stores which was creative....

As for me, I just gave up on my iPad. I have a Samsung phone and Samsung tablet.

Might stop by once, but probably not a second time.

It's the new Cheesecake Factory around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ... It's sort of like dogs barking. One starts, then the rest follow, but none of them really knows what's going on.
    That is a very apt simile. That applies to so many fads today.

Hah!! They don't have the option of the better areas of the city and they have a high priced commodity [[specifically their hair weave products) coveted by many and they had to get on top of the theft problem. Fast! To stay in business!!

One can learn a lot from Asian Beauty Supplies.

I'm not. I work in an industry using Apple Mac computers daily for years. I have an Iphone [[which I hate and love) and RARELY, and I mean rarely do I set foot in an Apple store! I may place an order thru an entity I work for -- otherwise my touch point with Apple is minimal. My first few Iphone's were provided by the mobile carrier . Later I got one used on eBay to avoid the over-priced hype of Iphone's. My computer is used, etc. brought from a friend... Apple computers hold their value and people are always swapping/ selling them on the private market to upgrade.

I find the official Apple store a bit off-putting/snobbish for my personal use. Many Apple Mac fixes can be found at the forum level. Apple sells half-version upgrades sky high! If you know Apple you learn that you can buy a year or two back and do fine. Beyond a certain GHz and core level, it's the ram and video card that does the trick often. Many institutions buy models two years old -- ala 'educational' models. Far cheaper. Apple doesn't want you to know that.

You have to study reviews and bench operation comparisons etc. And if you go into the Apple store with a model over a year old they will tell you it's a 'legacy' model! To get you to buy new! Yet Apple Mac computers often hold their value and run quite a long time [[IME).

I don't need the snobbery. Far too busy working or training in using the equipment for what I need. Still grand that they're coming downtown. We need the commerce!

Last edited by Zacha341; September-22-16 at 12:56 PM.

Apple Stores are an indicator of a certain social-economic status, since they don't usually locate the stores in downtrodden areas.

I hear there's also one in some podunk town in Michigan called Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I hear there's also one in some podunk town in Michigan called Troy.
    You mean an I-podunk town...

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It's the new Cheesecake Factory around here.
    I think you have figured it out. We can have the world's first Apple store that is located inside a Cheesecake Factory. On the ground floor of a 90-story residential tower!
    Last edited by mwilbert; September-22-16 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I think you have figured it out. We can have the world's first Apple store that is located inside a Cheesecake Factory. On the ground of a 90-story residential tower!
    That spins and changes colors.....

And like the Cheesecake Factory, you gain weight when you enter!! ----

That spins and changes colors.....

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Apple Stores are an indicator of a certain social-economic status, since they don't usually locate the stores in downtrodden areas.

ding ding...

also the big reason businesses want an apple store downtown is that they drive insane amounts of foot traffic to the surrounding areas. Look at somerset and partridge creeks locations.. constantly have hundreds of customers in the store. it's a sign that there is strong retail in the area and would be a HUGE driving force in getting other tenants to sign up...

also gilbert wants them bad because it would surely drive up retail rent along woodward

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    ding ding...

also the big reason businesses want an apple store downtown is that they drive insane amounts of foot traffic to the surrounding areas. Look at somerset and partridge creeks locations.. constantly have hundreds of customers in the store. it's a sign that there is strong retail in the area and would be a HUGE driving force in getting other tenants to sign up...

also gilbert wants them bad because it would surely drive up retail rent along woodward
    God we're bored around here [[myself obviously included) I have never read or posted on these boards when I have lived elsewhere but I read this one and obviously engage as well. It's very similar to small town gossip. As I read all your comments I realize how pointless it is but still it's something I do when in Metro Detroit.
    Last edited by TTime; September-22-16 at 07:41 PM.

At least my iPhone does not spontaneously combust.

I am with ATT but if I have a problem within the first year I take it to the Apple Store where any problem is resolved or the phone is replaced,no questions asked.

Sure I can get a wal-Mart special but you kinda get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    At least my iPhone does not spontaneously combust.
    You tell 'em, Richard! And don't forget the Mapple app, it'll get you exactly where you're going, within a few miles. And who can forget that wonderful auto shut off feature of the 5c. What a bonus for just under a grand.

Lol , I paid 99 cents for the 4 and had it for 3 years,I switched to the 6 recently,it seems to be working okay,I switched the Siri voice to the female Brit,she does sound kinda sexy.

I blame all of this on the younger generation forceing us into all of this texting stuff and then you have to keep upgrading or nothing works anymore.

My favorite phone was the Star tac Motorola,little flip phone.

I started with a bag phone that was like a big purse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast