Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Very hgh tower with platform at foot of Lakewood in the 60's.

When I was a teen around 1965-66 my best bud and I decided to go under a cyclone fence and climb a very high tower 60 ft. plus in a property at the foot of Lakewood or maybe Alter.[[not sure) We made it all the way to the top before the cops showed up and told us to get down. We told them, "No, come and get us" us being the idiots we were back then. They didn't even attempt to go up there but just waited us out. Had my bike confiscated and was grounded for a week after the very unhappy cops took us back home.
    I'm kind of guessing the height as I was often on 40 ft. poles when I worked at Ma "Bell and this tower was a lot higher.
    Does anyone remember this tower/platform and what it was used for?

Radar platform for the Nike missile base on the eastern tip of Belle Isle.

Attachment 31651
    Last edited by MikeM; September-20-16 at 02:33 PM.

Comes up Invalid attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Radar platform for the Nike missile base on the eastern tip of Belle Isle.

Attachment 31651

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Comes up Invalid attachment.
    Works fine for me.

Name:  d23-1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  34.2 KB

Mike:

The tower I am referring to was more like the high tension towers that are in the Edison corridors. I had metal pegs on one leg of the tower to climb up with. We had to shinny up the first 10 feet or so.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Works fine for me.

Name:  d23-1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  34.2 KB

I think the tower you're talking about was actually off the foot of Alter, in the east section of Lakewood/Alfred Brush Ford Park, the part that was also known as Angel Park.

There was an old house in part of that park that was a rec center/seniors center for several years, called the Lighthouse Center [[not to be confused with the actual lighthouse, which was back behind the Marine Hospital, and is the last thing standing around there today). My grandparents used to go there, and near that center, as I remember, there was an old metal broadcast tower of some sort. Perhaps it had been used to communicate with ships? The center burned and was torn down some time in the '70s, and I think the tower went with it.

When I read the word 'platform' that's what came to mind first. Now Al's post jogs my memory. Here are photos from previous threads of the the Lighthouse Recreation Center after it burned.

Name:  07-MarineHospEast.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  08-MarineHospRear.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  133272.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  45.5 KB

I vaguely remember some metal tower nearby. There once was a marine radio station and a weather bureau signal station there, but I think they were both on the grounds of the marine hospital.