Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Police Department has lost a hero

The Detroit Police Department has lost a true hero. Sergeant Kenneth Steil, a veteran police officer of more than 20 years, was brutally murdered by a criminal.

Sgt. Steil was shot by a despicable criminal with an illegal sawed off shotgun while attempting to apprehend said violent criminal who allegedly shot his own father and then carjacked an innocent citizen last Monday. Sgt. Steil died from his wounds at St. John Hospital this past Saturday. He leaves behind a wife and two sons ages 3 and 5 years old.

Please pray for Sgt. Steil's family as they deal with this, the most difficult of situations. May Hashem comfort the family as well as Steil's family in blue. Baruch dayan emet!

Police officers perform a very dangerous and all too often thankless job to protect society. When a police officer is murdered in the line of duty it is an affront to all decent people everywhere. May the coward who murdered Sgt. Steil face swift and severe justice.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-20-16 at 06:11 AM.

Name:  IMG_20160919_100923744 [[360x640).jpg
Views: 465
Size:  288.4 KB Amen! Please show your support for our first responders by flying a "Thin Blue Line" flag.

Great posts, Sy and dguy. Just the latest in a line of nearly a hundred DPD personnel who have died in the line of duty. I probably attended a dozen such funerals, usually thinking, "geez, that could have been me". The first in a long line of DPD officers was George Kimball, 45 years old.
    "Officer Kimball was shot and killed October 5, 1883, near the intersection of Beaubien and Jefferson while walking his beat. He was shot when he encountered a group of men and prostitutes at the intersection. Several suspects were brought in for questioning but no one was ever charged with Officer Kimball's murder.

Officer Kimball had served with the Detroit Police Department for 7 years and was survived by his wife and three children."

Some great Detroit history could be learned by going to www.odmp.org and entering "Detroit" on the search page.
    Last edited by Ray1936; September-19-16 at 06:40 PM.

Totally with your on this, Sy. Anyone deciding on ending someone's life and depriving their family of a parent, child, companion deserves unusual punishment. I can deal with some crimes, but cold-blooded murder is not one of them.

Prayers and condolence to the family.

Disgusting and without starting a BLM rant I want to say this. He got up that morning going to protect the city. That punk got up and chose to be a criminal punk. If this wound up the other way we would be hearing all the usual bull. May justice be served to the MAX and prayers to his family and fellow officers.

Peace to the family.

My condolences to the family as well. A terrible senseless tradgety.