Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Steve Ballmer let it slip. Apple Store possible at new Hudson's site building

Watching the Detroit Homecoming online right now.. Steve Ballmer [[native detroiter) being interviewed by Dan Gilbert, He just said something along the lines of seeing the Hudson's rendering this morning that Gilbert showed him and being jealous that there's "A huge apple logo hanging right in the middle."

the crowd let out a large gasp, gilbert quickly came in with "uhh those are renderings, nothing is final!" .. i'm sure he's not happy with ballmer right now haha

here we go.. I'm sure the news outlets will pick it up shortly

I just want to see what the damn thing is going to look like. Perhaps he will share with the public after the event.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Watching the Detroit Homecoming online right now.. Steve Ballmer [[native detroiter) being interviewed by Dan Gilbert, He just said something along the lines of seeing the Hudson's rendering this morning that Gilbert showed him and being jealous that there's "A huge apple logo hanging right in the middle."

the crowd let out a large gasp, gilbert quickly came in with "uhh those are renderings, nothing is final!" .. i'm sure he's not happy with ballmer right now haha

here we go.. I'm sure the news outlets will pick it up shortly
    If he's feeling bad, maybe he should get an MS store downtown.

It sounds like Ballmer was joking with the crowd at the event when he saw the renderings. Architects always put stuff like that into renderings, so I wouldn't put much stock into it.

There will definitely be an apple store Downtown within 2-5 years. Wouldn't be surprised if we heard an announcement sooner. The location doesn't really matter, but it will almost certainly be facing Woodward.

"There will definitely be an apple store Downtown within 2-5 years"

And that, my friends, will be the point at which this whole "Detroit is coming back" jumps the shark.

One thing is certainly true, the next 5 years around here will be very interesting -- even more so when the next "New Detroit" is on the radar and all of the Capitalist Pig Dogs go to drink out of that trough.

By a helmet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "There will definitely be an apple store Downtown within 2-5 years"

And that, my friends, will be the point at which this whole "Detroit is coming back" jumps the shark.

One thing is certainly true, the next 5 years around here will be very interesting -- even more so when the next "New Detroit" is on the radar and all of the Capitalist Pig Dogs go to drink out of that trough.

By a helmet!!
    Cool story, bro.

At this point I think there would be outrage if the Hudson Block plan came out without intention for an Apple Store. The potential store seems to get as much reaction to its mention as the landmark building that is anticipated for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It sounds like Ballmer was joking with the crowd at the event when he saw the renderings. Architects always put stuff like that into renderings, so I wouldn't put much stock into it.
    Dyers don't always get out much. Precisely my thought. Architects want to please their clients. Their clients pee their pants if they see an Apple Store in a rendering/model. End of story.

There may or may not be plans for an Apple Store anywhere in the world, but architects renderings should be read as seriously as tea leaves.

Does Gilbert strike you as the type of client who would go nuts over that kind of thing after all the development and retailers he has brought down here? The only reason that would be in a rendering at this point of the design process is if Gilbert told them that is who he wants in there or they are already on board.

for fear of copyright infringement, architects intentionally omit trademarked store names in renderings. they may include fake store names for scale and reference, however the only reason an apple logo would be included in a rendering is because apple is a signed tenant.

example

example

Is there any reason Apple wouldn't want a location downtown? There are thousands of workers downtown at least 5 days a week that use Apple products. And then three major sports teams have games throughout the year that attract thousands more. The number of people downtown is definitely going up so I'd be surprised if Apple and other retailers like them don't want to open a store downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    Is there any reason Apple wouldn't want a location downtown? There are thousands of workers downtown at least 5 days a week that use Apple products. And then three major sports teams have games throughout the year that attract thousands more. The number of people downtown is definitely going up so I'd be surprised if Apple and other retailers like them don't want to open a store downtown.
    From a PR perspective, an open store in downtown D is great. Apple is nothing if not a smart retailer of hardware. The decision will be 90% statistics and 10% gut at most. The stats drive these kinds of decisions. They know how many people with what income living/working what distance makes sense. True for most good retailers. Its about numbers. Nobody wants the headline 'Detroit Apple Store Closes' in their future.

Default An Apple ad, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    From a PR perspective, an open store in downtown D is great. Apple is nothing if not a smart retailer of hardware. The decision will be 90% statistics and 10% gut at most. The stats drive these kinds of decisions. They know how many people with what income living/working what distance makes sense. True for most good retailers. Its about numbers. Nobody wants the headline 'Detroit Apple Store Closes' in their future.

Then there is the small matter of comp-o-tition. There must be about fifty guys selling Apples at Eastern Market. Think about that for a minute.

^^^ Even more 'Apples' being sold on eBay and Amazon! Or the online Apple orchard itself. The snobbery of the Apple stores can be a bit much! Yet, if they're heading downtown great!

The trek now to Sommerset would end for those who want to purchase direct or need a moment with the 'geniuses' for technical issues!

Welcome Apple!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-18-16 at 03:43 PM.