Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wow I'm so glad they're filling that whole block on Farmer! They clearly took some cues from the Bowery Hotel in NYC [[which is awesome).

https://www.google.com/search?q=bowe...w=1600&bih=809

I'm sure we will see a nice Shinola Detroit store along Woodward, with other retailer along Farmer st. and the activated alley between the two buildings.

Holy moly that looks STUNNING. I love it, gilbert yet again knocks it out of the park. Having that and the wurly and the metropolitan building all be up and running in 2018 is going to be incredible for that section of downtown. 3 boutique hotels all coming soon! with incredible and charming architecture that is a great nod to detroits heritage

These are incredible renderings. Very excited to see the Farmer St. side come to life and the alley too!

First off those renderings are BEAUTIFUL. Second, with this hotel, the Metropolitan, Wurlitzer and Hudson's coming soon[[ish), how much of a great bet did the owners of Queens Bar make? Right in the center of complete renovations.

This does look very, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Dyke Brown View Post
    New renderings that I had not seen before today:
    would you mind sharing your source?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    First off those renderings are BEAUTIFUL. Second, with this hotel, the Metropolitan, Wurlitzer and Hudson's coming soon[[ish), how much of a great bet did the owners of Queens Bar make? Right in the center of complete renovations.
    so can the creepy puppet store be replaced too?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    so can the creepy puppet store be replaced too?
    That's actually a puppet theatre that's a hidden cultural gem and is in the process of moving. But whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    would you mind sharing your source?
    They are displayed on the fencing surrounding the property which was updated yesterday.

The puppet theatre is actually really cool. Not everything has to be retail or a bar. Didn't know they were moving.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The puppet theatre is actually really cool. Not everything has to be retail or a bar. Didn't know they were moving.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ars/549416001/

Edit: They've been gone since August.

update: with pics

really think this hotel is going to do so much for the vibe and look of lower woodward downtown. taking half a block of empitness and turning it into arguably what will be the most luxurious and possibly most expensive hotel in downtown. activating the retail spaces in the ground floors on woodward is going to be amazing. the looks and details in these pictures are stunning, and i'm so excited to be able to see this in my city that i love so much.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/detroit...ola-1531845019

I love the way that lower Woodward is taking shape. A mixture of retail, offices, and living. I just hope that us common folk are not shut out from shopping downtown when all of the stores open in a few years. I still feel that a good furniture store such as Art Van, Restoration Hardware, or Bright Ideas are needed in the downtown area. I don't really care for the furniture stores on Jefferson especially if one sell hub caps and rims for cars. I will jump for joy when Apple announces opening a store downtown. Downtown would have to beef up it's security so that Apple and others stores will be attracted to downtown Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I love the way that lower Woodward is taking shape. A mixture of retail, offices, and living. I just hope that us common folk are not shut out from shopping downtown when all of the stores open in a few years. I still feel that a good furniture store such as Art Van, Restoration Hardware, or Bright Ideas are needed in the downtown area. I don't really care for the furniture stores on Jefferson especially if one sell hub caps and rims for cars. I will jump for joy when Apple announces opening a store downtown. Downtown would have to beef up it's security so that Apple and others stores will be attracted to downtown Detroit
    I agree to a point. Apple Stores are getting robbed in a lot of other cities, so it's not just about crime in Detroit.
    If I remember correctly ,apples stores in Atlanta , Vegas, No California and So Cal, and that's just off the top of my head with googling. I'm sure in a bunch of other cities apple stores have been hit and in Malls, so they do just fine in downtown Detroit.

yeah really don't think there's any more of a problem downtown compared to any other major city. there's PLENTY of police presence/ cameras/ bedrocks extra security all already downtown. i don't think that fear of robbery is holding apple back whatsoever. i do think that apple will have a prominent store front in the hudson site.. i think if they took the corner spot across the shinola hotel they would be tremendously successful.

downtown needs an apple store badly. it would serve all of detroit [[think of all the wayne state students/ ferndale/ greater downtown residents that have all recently moved in.. as well as all of dearborn/ downriver/ grosse pointe

i'm confident we'll see an apple store announced within the next few years// and most likely at the hudson site

Some retail news for the Shinola development...

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ource=facebook

"The price point for items will be $250 or less," she said. "I want it to be affordable."

Her and I have different definitions of that word, and I make a good amount of money. ��

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    "The price point for items will be $250 or less," she said. "I want it to be affordable."

Her and I have different definitions of that word, and I make a good amount of money. ��
    A $250 max price point is actually quite reasonable for a store in a luxury boutique hotel.

"Luxury customers spent an average of $910 at the hotel they visited most frequently over the past 12 months."

https://news.gallup.com/businessjour...el-guests.aspx

.... so when will this place open? When will there be permanent jobs posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    A $250 max price point is actually quite reasonable for a store in a luxury boutique hotel.

"Luxury customers spent an average of $910 at the hotel they visited most frequently over the past 12 months."

https://news.gallup.com/businessjour...el-guests.aspx
    Is this going to be a "Luxury" hotel? All the Google searches only mention "luxury" for Shinola watches, and not the hotel. I only find mentions of it as a boutique hotel? Just curious....

These are good choices of stores that are opening. I am glad that these stores are opening on the east side of Woodard to give it more of a balance. My concern is that the Woodward bus stop had been reinstalled along Woodward. I don’t mind the convenience of catching the Woodward bus but Iam concern about the unwanted aggressive panhandlers, loiterers, and troublemakers selling drugs and other things at these bus stops making running away potential customers from going into these businesses. This was a bad move by the city to reinstall the bus stops without heavy police presence as a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    These are good choices of stores that are opening. I am glad that these stores are opening on the east side of Woodard to give it more of a balance. My concern is that the Woodward bus stop had been reinstalled along Woodward. I don’t mind the convenience of catching the Woodward bus but Iam concern about the unwanted aggressive panhandlers, loiterers, and troublemakers selling drugs and other things at these bus stops making running away potential customers from going into these businesses. This was a bad move by the city to reinstall the bus stops without heavy police presence as a deterrent.
    I rode that route [[formerly 53, now 4 I think) dozens and dozens of times and never would I consider any of those bus stops hotbeds for panhandlers or drug dealers. Most people board at Rosa Parks anyway

Those drug dealers and panhandlers would sprinkle over to those bus stops knowing that people with money will be going in and coming out of those store

Is it just me or is anyone upset by the loss of all of the Wig stores that used to exist in the lower Woodward Corridor? To see the downfall of these stores with their replacements being a mix bag of higher end retailers is depressing. Part of my childhood is being erased! I remember as a kid, mom and dad would take me downtown and I would see all of the Wig stores and even a few athletic apparel stores downtown. The boarded up JL Hudson building and the fancy people statues on Woodward in the 80s and 90s were always the signs that we were downtown! Also can’t forget the red metal pedestrian mall with the half burned out ball lights on Washington Blvd in front of the glorious abandoned Book Cadillac and Statler. Downtown was so relaxed and quiet back then. On the weekends it was said you could shoot a cannon down any downtown street and not hit a single person. Now those were the days..
    Last edited by cmubryan; October-09-18 at 06:24 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast