Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default WSJ: Gilbert & Shinola teaming up for new boutique hotel in downtown detroit

No mention of WHERE this hotel is though?? Am i missing something?

Set to open Fall 2018

http://www.wsj.com/articles/detroit-...94284?mod=e2tw

The trick is going to be figuring out which historic buildings are currently empty and where they might build something new attached to that. Im going to guess and say that it is Broadway and incorporates the large empty structure there, whose name escapes me, as well as links up to the planned alley that is part of the new Paradise Valley development.

Harvard Square is the building I am thinking.

Very promising for Woodward Ave. foot traffic.

And shall pair perfectly with whatever is going on the Hudson Block, across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789 View Post

Talk about a strategic location for Gilbert!!!!

He could not ask for a better location than that location, given what is across the corner from 1400 Woodward!!

If he's proposing part deux/extension of 'the belt' what's to be built on the empty lot on farmer between Woodward and the YMCA?

It's almost daily now. I would Not trade 1 Dan Gilbert for 50 more Mike Ilitches

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...-law/90129986/

More great Detroit News. From the Crains Article:
    "Shinola/Detroit LLC and Dan Gilbert's Bedrock Real Estate Services LLC are teaming up on an independent boutique hotel in downtown Detroit.

The red eight-story building downtown at 1400 Woodward Ave., which began life as a hardware store and most recently housed Eastern Wig & Hair Co. LLC, will be renovated into a hotel meshing the craftsmanship Shinola is known for with Bedrock's urban development experience, the developers say. The four-story building two doors down at 1416 Woodward Ave. is also part of the project. It was designed by Smith Hinchman & Grylls in 1936 for Singer Sewing Machine Co.

Developing a hotel is a step well outside Shinola's previous retail focus, which encompasses watches, bicycles and other items, assembled in Detroit.

Renovations on the building are set to begin in November and wrap up in time for a fall 2018 opening of the 130-room Shinola Hotel."

Another day, another development for DG. It's nice to see all of these taking place, but I think we are all waiting on the Hudson's site. DG can redevelop buildings, no doubt about that, but can he build a masterpiece from the ground up? Because it probably won't matter how many buildings the guy resurrects if he puts up a 50 story pile of shit for everyone to stare at. The Hudson's site is going to be his legacy and depending on how you look it at, that could be a good or bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Another day, another development for DG. It's nice to see all of these taking place, but I think we are all waiting on the Hudson's site. DG can redevelop buildings, no doubt about that, but can he build a masterpiece from the ground up? Because it probably won't matter how many buildings the guy resurrects if he puts up a 50 story pile of shit for everyone to stare at. The Hudson's site is going to be his legacy and depending on how you look it at, that could be a good or bad thing.

This should be an interesting dynamic with the Wurlizter Building, essentially right around the block, also becoming the host to a new hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    It's almost daily now. I would Not trade 1 Dan Gilbert for 50 more Mike Ilitches

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...-law/90129986/
    There'd be no historic buildings left if there were 50 Mike Ilitches

It would be cool if inside they had a small retail store.

The rendering is gorgeous though. Reminds me of the various themed hotels NYC has, the Library Hotel being my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It would be cool if inside they had a small retail store.
    With a red hotel, boutique, and a wifi hotspot!

So the building 2 doors down is being included.... very nice. I'm curious about the building right next door [[between the 2 buildings). Different owner who doesn't want to sell... or?

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    This should be an interesting dynamic with the Wurlizter Building, essentially right around the block, also becoming the host to a new hotel.
    Not to mention the Metropolitan Building boutique hotel aka Element Hotel. Or the Aloft now operating in the Whitney.

I'm surprised downtown Detroit is strong enough to support 4 boutique hotels. The big chains handle most corporate business and I assumed a lot of the boutique business would go to downtowns that have a lot of tourists and a lot of residential where people visit friends & family. Downtown Detroit still does not have the wide variety of smaller businesses that might also place people doing business with them in these types of hotels. However I guess the 4 hotels only add about 600 rooms.

...and a major chain hotel is expected on the Service Drive next to Little Caesars Arena. As the article rightly points out, the hotel "build-out" nationally has thusfar passed Downtown Detroit by -- so this isn't really surprising. Local occupancy is strong -- and building of new properties in the suburbs continues as well.

Don't forget the Foundation hotel in the old fire headquarters as well.

Based on a few recent articles outlining occupancy in Detroit, I sounds like the hotel business is strong downtown to support more hotels. And was mentioned, it's only going to add 500-600 new rooms.

The interesting thing about all the new hotel space downtown is whether or not that is going to help bring in more convention business to COBO. For years it was cited as a reason as to why Detroit wasn't in competition to grab more large conventions, aside from the deplorable conditions COBO was in only a few years ago. Now that COBO renovations are complete and new hotels coming online, I would hope that the convention planners are branching out to larger conventions to try to woo them to come here.

The added hotel rooms should also help with regard to grabbing some major sporting events, namely the Big Ten College Football Championship game, an NHL all star game, more NCAA Tourney games, possibly another Super Bowl [[long shot), etc. Even a major music festival that draws 50,000-100,000 people like Coachella could be something.

Anyone around here who has tried to book hotel rooms downtown during an event knows it's pretty hard to get a decent room. Even weekends during the summer can be hard to get a room. I used to think adding too many hotel rooms would spell doom, but it seems like we've gone past that point and can support more rooms.

I'm not sure how solid the plans are but it wasn't that long ago that the owners of the Crown Plaza were talking of building a second, larger tower near COBO. I'm guessing that the market could still absorb quite a few more rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ..............will be renovated into a hotel meshing the craftsmanship Shinola is known for ................

So they're going to import the interior from Switzerland and the exterior from China and put the two together when they arrive? LOL
    Last edited by Bigdd; September-15-16 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I'm not sure how solid the plans are but it wasn't that long ago that the owners of the Crown Plaza were talking of building a second, larger tower near COBO. I'm guessing that the market could still absorb quite a few more rooms.
    For sure that would help the convention business. More hotels either in walking distance of Cobo,.. or better yet on the People Mover loop are a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    For sure that would help the convention business. More hotels either in walking distance of Cobo,.. or better yet on the People Mover loop are a big help.
    And with the tram coming to fruition next year, a case that conventioneers can actually go and visit our Cultural Center and more shopping and restaurant options without having to have a car. Or stay at a place like Hotel St. Regis or the Inn on Ferry Street and be able to get downtown easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    So they're going to import the interior from Switzerland and the exterior from China and put the two together when they arrive? LOL
    Very original joke.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast