Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

That whole block is amazing. They put SINGER on the front of Singer building, it's neat looking.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    ^That's a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, not politics.
    A couple of months ago, a city official told me that they will “slow down projects that they have a problem with or don’t like”.

From the history section on the site:

Over the years, the current Shinola Hotel property housed many retailers, including Liggett's Drug Store, Lloyd's Furs, Sally Frocks and the Meyer Jewelry Company - the Meyer Treasure Chest of Jewels.

I can't believe they forgot Eastern Wig and Hair.

.... so is the restaurant open yet? Supposed to be a "high end" Italian-fare place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .... so is the restaurant open yet? Supposed to be a "high end" Italian-fare place.
    It opens tomorrow to the general public. It was open over the weekend for friends and family as a preview to see how things were running

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    That San Morello italian restaurant was open restaurant last night and was already packed! Several other nearby bars were packed last night, including the Cornerstone, the Queens bar, and Punchbowl Social. Downtown is definitely looking up!

I can't wait for the other spots in this hotel to open up. The list of businesses in this development is impressive:

1. Madewells [[women's clothing)
    2. Shinola store [[watches & bikes)
    3. Drought [[juicery/smoothies)
    4. Madcap Coffee [[a coffee cafe from Grand Rapids)
    5. Evening Bar - Cocktail bar
    6. Brakeman - beer hall
    7. Penny Red's - fried chicken joint
    8. Le Labo - fragrances
    9. San Morello - southern Italian food
    10. Good Neighbor - locally-owned clothing boutique

It looks like 3 more retailers are joining the Shinola Hotel Development. They include Velvet Tower, "a vintage and modern men's and women's clothing" boutique. Please see the caption of photo # 24 in this Detroit News Photo gallery.

In addition, yesterday's Crains stated that a florist and locally based cosmetics company are set to open. So to update:

11. Velvet Tower - locally owned vintage clothing
    12. Posie Atelier - Florist
    13. Lip Bar LLC, a Detroit-based luxury cosmetics company

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    A couple of months ago, a city official told me that they will “slow down projects that they have a problem with or don’t like”.
    Exactly. I had spoken to small business owners over the years who had said that they had a lot of obstacles placed in front of them when trying to open their stores especially if that retail had became a threat to an independent less quality retail nearby. Building and safety inspectors would not show up for the final inspection before opening. Sometimes the building and safety inspectors would allow a build out to happen but while the store is close to completion the inspector would find something minor but would make the owner take apart what was build just to correct that minor flaw that should had been caught by the inspector earlier. It's not tin foil conspiracy. Why is it that rent is so high in the downtown area but tenants will still have to drive out to go to a good grocery store. I also wondered was Restoration Hardware discouraged into opening a store in the downtown area through trumped up codes and usage of space that the city had put on them. They definitely would had been a threat to the only two nearby furniture stores that are not downtown. One of them sell rims and hub caps. Planet Fitness was looking to open near the riverfront but the landlord tried changing the terms of the lease agreement after the lease was signed. Would it be tin foil hat thinking to ask if anyone had gotten to the owner of the building that Planet Fitness was going to move into and would had been a threat to the nearby more expensive fitness center in downtown Detroit? Watch and see that Hardrock Cafe would have a difficult time finding another spot in Detroit. I really believe that some of these locally independent grocery stores and crappy funiture store owners pull the chain of these elected official or city official to get them to put a roadblock in the way of any potential business that would be a threat to there business. Why hasn't Art Van put a store into downtown Detroit or in the nearby strip malls along Jefferson? The problem with these officials is that they look out for their wallets and purses instead of looking out for what is best for the communities

I actually agree with you in that Detroit officials "pick and choose" what developments get done "by any means necessary".

Where I disagree with you is the Gilbert developments. He has enough money to buy them off.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Exactly. I had spoken to small business owners over the years who had said that they had a lot of obstacles placed in front of them when trying to open their stores especially if that retail had became a threat to an independent less quality retail nearby. Building and safety inspectors would not show up for the final inspection before opening. Sometimes the building and safety inspectors would allow a build out to happen but while the store is close to completion the inspector would find something minor but would make the owner take apart what was build just to correct that minor flaw that should had been caught by the inspector earlier. It's not tin foil conspiracy. Why is it that rent is so high in the downtown area but tenants will still have to drive out to go to a good grocery store. I also wondered was Restoration Hardware discouraged into opening a store in the downtown area through trumped up codes and usage of space that the city had put on them. They definitely would had been a threat to the only two nearby furniture stores that are not downtown. One of them sell rims and hub caps. Planet Fitness was looking to open near the riverfront but the landlord tried changing the terms of the lease agreement after the lease was signed. Would it be tin foil hat thinking to ask if anyone had gotten to the owner of the building that Planet Fitness was going to move into and would had been a threat to the nearby more expensive fitness center in downtown Detroit? Watch and see that Hardrock Cafe would have a difficult time finding another spot in Detroit. I really believe that some of these locally independent grocery stores and crappy funiture store owners pull the chain of these elected official or city official to get them to put a roadblock in the way of any potential business that would be a threat to there business. Why hasn't Art Van put a store into downtown Detroit or in the nearby strip malls along Jefferson? The problem with these officials is that they look out for their wallets and purses instead of looking out for what is best for the communities
    With new exotic retail and restaurant coming to Gilbert Town Detroit, who could possibly give those businesses a try. City officials don't get and cherry pick what stores are allowed in any community as long as they break city code rules. Gilbert and others will call the shots who is coming to into their properties. And I'm sure they are not bringing Mary Janes stores so the folks from the hood can buy and later rob and shoot someone who stands in their way.

This is not Coleman A. Young, Dennis Archer, Kwame Kilpatrick, Ken Cockerel and Dave Bing Era anyone. This is a era that not only Mike Duggan is mayor but also Dan Gilbert and Mike Illitch Jr. is also shared mayors of Detroit. And the poor folks are getting push aside and getting put out. Just get used to the development. Detroit is in its second renaissance. And this time millennials are afraid of the hood when they come to them wearing Trayvon Martin's with a piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

With new exotic retail and restaurant coming to Gilbert Town Detroit, who could possibly give those businesses a try. City officials don't get and cherry pick what stores are allowed in any community as long as they break city code rules. Gilbert and others will call the shots who is coming to into their properties. And I'm sure they are not bringing Mary Janes stores so the folks from the hood can buy and later rob and shoot someone who stands in their way.

This is not Coleman A. Young, Dennis Archer, Kwame Kilpatrick, Ken Cockerel and Dave Bing Era anyone. This is a era that not only Mike Duggan is mayor but also Dan Gilbert and Mike Illitch Jr. is also shared mayors of Detroit. And the poor folks are getting push aside and getting put out. Just get used to the development. Detroit is in its second renaissance. And this time millennials are afraid of the hood when they come to them wearing Trayvon Martin's with a piece!
    Dan Gilbert might be the man but most of the people living downtown in one of his condos still find themselves having to drive to get to a decent grocery store or to purchase decent furniture or even housewares for their homes. Doesn't be want a grocery store nearby or other things? He may want these things but if these things are a threat to the much lesser quality retail in the area he would not be able to stop the influx of road blocks and red tapes that the city would put on the business that want to set up shop in the area in my opinion. I think that he wanted Restoration Hardware in one of his buildings downtown. Restoration Hardware said that they needed more floors but that could been taken care of with the empty buildings that he had purchased downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by cohen313 View Post
    I believe that Carmack guy said when he tried to do some business in Detroit, he randomly had "consultants" approach him saying they could push his things through for $10K a month "consulting" contract. Things like that is why billionaire UofM alum Sam Zell said most investors won't touch Detroit with a 10-foot pole. Duggan has certainly not drained the swamp.
    But a marijuana dispensaries and gas station or Spartan products grocery store ore would have no problems opening in a reasonable timeline

they debuted the lighting of the building last night. awesome to see the facade completely lit up. that and the metropolitan both getting lighitng ceremonies back to back nights. this section of downtown is so amazing to see now

I need to go downtown to check it out.
    They finished this project so quickly

I remember in the mid 2000's there was wig shop in the ground floor level of that building. That was the only type of retail business that was doing well downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Shopgirl View Post
    I remember in the mid 2000's there was wig shop in the ground floor level of that building. That was the only type of retail business that was doing well downtown.
    That, Footlocker, and Athelete's Foot were the only thriving buinsesses on the strip in the 2000s. Athlete Foot had started the Nike department on one side of their wall downtown.

I like the boutique concept that are implemented in the storefronts. Some of them are a little pricey for my wallet. The Nike store on the other side need to up their game and sell coats[[stadium jackets) and tall sizes as well as other things. I wonder what's in store for 2019 as far as retail for that strip. It is great that Woodward and Grand Blvd area is getting retail in that part of the strip. Hopefully the night time hustle and bustle that is seen downtown will extend to the midtown area of Woodward

The Nike store is more of an outlet, so they get what they get. I think that's better anyway, as there are more deals and new stuff is moving in and out of there every week.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The Nike store is more of an outlet, so they get what they get. I think that's better anyway, as there are more deals and new stuff is moving in and out of there every week.
    The Nike Outlet concept was good being that Nike was willing to test the water when other retail didn’t want to look at Detroit as potential as same as the beliefs of some of the bloggers on this site. I still think that a Columbia outlet or store would do good downtown and could open next to Under Amour

Checked out the hotel block yesterday; an absolute home run. This whole block looks incredible from the street; the lighting, brick pavers, lettering on the windows, etc. Amazing how much different this corner is with a packed restaurant and hotel instead of an empty building and liquor store [[RIP Jazz). The annex portion of the building still has some work to be done, but the "Parker's Alley" portion between the hotel and the annex could be really neat once everything is finished. The whole development has a level of attention and detail we just haven't seen around here.

I love the concept of taking a few buildings and making a boutique hotel out of them including retail and restaurants. I notice how there are many people walking to and fro even on a Sunday night when there is no game going on nearby. Can't wait to see what the area will be like by next summer.

The Brakeman and adjacent fried chicken place is excellent. Not sure I get why you need to buy tokens at a booth then order a beer from the bar, but they have a great selection and the space is unique. That area is going to be hopping this summer

I went to both Brakeman and Penny Reds this weekend. The very first thing I noticed was the space. It was open and comfortable compared to some of the newer places that have tried to monetize every square foot. I thought the token system was fun and unique. Penny Reds was simply outstanding. The fried chicken is second only in my opinion to Gus' on Third Ave.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5