Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Not Lookin' Too Good There, Bing-o

Ya' can't make cuts for everybody else and give raises to your buddies.

Posted: Aug. 17, 2009
    Mayoral staff, some pay rises under Bing
    Premium needed to attract top talent, aide says

BY SUZETTE HACKNEY
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing has grown his cabinet by about 20 employees and is paying some top appointees at least $10,000 more than his predecessor paid workers in the same or similar posts, according to records obtained by the Free Press.

For example, former Police Chief James Barren received $142,800 under Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr., who served from September until May before losing his post to Bing. Bing's pick, Warren Evans, makes $156,000. Cockrel's leader of the Planning and Development Department made $130,000. Bing's appointee is paid $132,001.

Bing's actions rankled union officials, who criticized him for boosting some executive staff pay while seeking job and salary reductions from unions to help the city fend off bankruptcy.

A spokesman for the mayor said Bing, who is not collecting a salary, needed to retain and hire the best talent he could to help the city deal with its financial crisis and other woes.

Bing is paying about a dozen of the appointees retained from Cockrel the same. He shrank some other salaries. The deputy corporation counsel, for instance, makes $1,000 less than the $122,000 he made under Cockrel and now is paid $121,000.

Bing expects more with bigger salaries

Bing says he needs expertise and experience if he is to succeed in turning Detroit around. And he says it's worth the extra money the city is spending.

Records obtained by the Free Press through the Freedom of Information Act show that Bing is compensating his six top aides with salaries ranging from $140,001 to $153,400. Those officials include Charles Beckham, chief administrative officer; Saul Green, deputy mayor, and Norm White, chief financial officer. Evans is the highest paid appointee, at $156,000.

The salaries are necessary to retain those qualified to help fix the city, Bing's spokesman said Friday. The mayor said he donated his pay of $176,176 to the Detroit Police Department, a promise he made while campaigning last fall.

"We are in an economic, education and social crisis that requires a different application of expertise, experience and commitment," said Edward Cardenas, Bing's press secretary. "The mayor is demanding productivity and not just presence. Asking people to help save the Titanic requires more than asking them to simply help steer a vessel."
    [[2 of 3)

Bing is trying to steer around the biggest budget crisis to ever hit the city. He estimates the budget deficit is close to $350 million and warns that the city could run out of cash by October if drastic measures are not taken.

Come Sept. 1, all of Bing's 118 appointees and about 1,400 other nonunionized workers and City Council appointees will, at Bing's direction, take a 10% pay cut -- a $3 million to $5 million savings for the city.

Advertisement

Union asked to take pay cut

Bing said the city is close to receivership and has implored its 11,500 unionized workers to also take at least a 10% pay cut by Aug. 28, a move that he said will save another $8 million to $10 million. City employees have been working on expired contracts, and concession negotiations are slow at best.

Union leaders were rankled Friday when they learned that as Bing began putting his cabinet together after May's election, that he gave some appointee positions salary bumps, including the police chief, planning and development director and the city's interim Lighting Department director.

"That's insane," said Leamon Wilson, chairman of the presidents of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees locals, which represent city employees. "That really does send a bad message. It's unbelievable, considering the stuff they're telling us and how broke they're claiming the city to be. Hell, no wonder it's broke."

Recently, AFSCME leaders unanimously voted to rescind their primary election endorsement of Bing.

Organization chart redrawn

Bing's spokesman said the mayor broke down the previous structure, in which 42 city departments reported to two people. "This is a more efficient form of management and allows for an increased span of control and accountability," said Cardenas.

Bing serves as chief executive officer of the city, while Beckham functions as second in command. Under them, group executives manage functions such as health and human services, public safety, finance and the mayor's office. Green functions as deputy mayor and public safety group executive.
    [[3 of 3)

When Cockrel, the Detroit City Council President, was thrust into the mayor's chair last fall after a disgraced Kwame Kilpatrick resigned from office, he said he had two weeks to cobble together his A-team. He said he hired the best, but also kept in mind the city's fiscal deficiencies.

An exact comparison of salaries between the Bing and Cockrel administrations is difficult because jobs and titles have changed, as have some responsibilities.

After reviewing the structure of Bing's cabinet, Cockrel acknowledged that he considered using the group executive model, too. He said he wouldn't second-guess Bing's model, but did take issue with its cost effectiveness.

"There is no doubt that if you have a larger number of group executives and you are paying them six figures, that the end result is you end up costing the city a lot of money," Cockrel said. "It does send a mixed message when at the same time, you're talking about 10% cuts and concessions and the need for layoffs, but certain people in your administration have been given ... raises."

Kenneth Lewis, 67, who lives in downtown Detroit, said of Bing: "If you're going to be righteous -- telling the unions to take pay cuts and doing stuff like ending bus service -- then you have to be right."

Reasons for salary boosts

The most eye-popping salary increase is that of Pamela Turner, director of the Water and Sewerage Department, whose salary grew from $130,000 under Cockrel to $155,002 under Bing. But Cardenas said Turner's salary was dictated by U.S. District Judge John Feikens, who has overseen the department since 1977 as part of a pollution lawsuit settlement, and in recent years, has taken on more responsibilities.

Feikens couldn't be reached for comment.

As for the chief of police, Bing, who has made crime a focus, has set a high bar as to what Evans will accomplish -- including meeting the requirements of U.S. Justice Department monitors who are overseeing changes in police operations as required under consent decrees signed with the city. The city has struggled to meet those requirements, put in place after questionable shootings by police and allegations of prisoner mistreatment and other civil rights issues.

"Chief Evans is expected to do what previous chiefs have not done, such as fulfilling the provisions of the federal consent decree, modernizing the Police Department and using the latest techniques to fight crime in the city," Cardenas said.

Contact SUZETTE HACKNEY: 313-222-6678 or shackney@freepress.com
    http://freep.com/article/20090817/NE...ses-under-Bing

Feikens? How can he still be alive? He was half dead the last time I saw him nearly 15 years ago.

Buy American Guest

"A spokesman for the mayor said Bing, who is not collecting a salary, needed to retain and hire the best talent he could to help the city deal with its financial crisis and other woes."

What do the employees in the City of Detroit need Bing? Don't they need a decent pay for a decent day's work?

This doesn't look good at all. When a City is in the kind of trouble that Detroit is in, the last thing Bing should do is give his cronies a hefty pay increase while asking the hired employees to take a 10% decrease in wages and benefits. Bing is talking out of both sides of his mouth. Is Bing going to become the same kind of thug that thug KK was and still is? What justifies $156 K for Evans? Evans is going to become a millionaire at Detroit's expense very soon....pensions he's already collecting, now a huge salary to top it off. In the meantime, Detroit needs to hire Police officers, the Fire Department needs people and new equipment and updated firehouses. I heard the other day that a firefighter for the City of Detroit has to purchase his own batteries for his flashlight that he uses in a fire.....now that's pathetic. Radios don't work in police cars, computers don't work in police cars, water isn't flowing in the kitchen of many firehnouses....come on Bing, you're making a mockery of Detroit yet again!
    I guess the old saying is still true, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    Last edited by Buy American; August-17-09 at 08:10 AM.

Bing's actions here are completely justifiable but they will nonetheless have a negative effect on his image in a city full of people who think that the primary function of city government is to employ people rather than to provide services on a balanced budget.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Bing's actions here are completely justifiable but they will nonetheless have a negative effect on his image in a city full of people who think that the primary function of city government is to employ people rather than to provide services on a balanced budget.
    Sorry, I totally disagree. Bing's actions are NOT justifiable. How much "harder" will Evans work for an additional $12K? That money goes into his pocket, not the City. The position of Chief of Police for Detroit is only a stepping stone for Evans, his aspirations are for the Mayors spot; then by the looks of things, Evans will just be another thug in a different suit....and it goes on and on. In the meantime, Detroiters are getting the shaft from all sides. Huge taxes, no garbage pickup, no police protection, fire protection is stretched beyond acceptable limits. It's a mess at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Sorry, I totally disagree. Bing's actions are NOT justifiable. How much "harder" will Evans work for an additional $12K?
    Well, as the article points out, Bing is working without a paycheck. Take his 180k off the books and he can spread a 12k pay bump 15 people and it's revenue neutral.

I hope his strategy works. The man is working without a salary.

diver1369 Guest

Weren't 26 furlough days imposed on non-union city personnel as a 10% pay cut? What side of his mouth is Mr. Bing talking out of when he proposes 10% wage cuts for everyone but those in his Administration who get pay increases. He's made a terrible blunder that will only lead to an impasse with the unions. A vote for Bing is a vote for state receivership.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    He's made a terrible blunder that will only lead to an impasse with the unions. A vote for Bing is a vote for state receivership.
    you say that like it's a bad thing.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, as the article points out, Bing is working without a paycheck. Take his 180k off the books and he can spread a 12k pay bump 15 people and it's revenue neutral.
    That's not how it works. A huge proportion of compensation consists of benefits, many of which are affected by salary.

Your hypothetical scenario isn't close to revenue-neutral

And Bing campaigned on a "no-salary" pledge, not a "salary distributed to other city workers" pledge.

You're not necessarily going to get someone who works "harder" for the additional money - there's so many hours in the day.

What you will get [[and this is subjective, granted) is someone who works smarter or has more respect. Frankly, with the stories of Evans being in cars and directly addressing the problem with crime in Detroit isn't always the police, but the citizens not reporting or turning in people, it already shows he's getting into the game. The fact he's getting a call every time there's a shooting - and on top of it changing how it's being reported - is a turn in the right direction. We've denied problems for WAY too long, and we will not fix them until they're acknowledged. And for those who are worried about perception - it's what everyone thinks about the city anyway. There's no news here, the administration was just lying to it's citizens.

Talent costs money. You wonder why other cities run efficiently - it's because they get the best and brightest. Personally, I'm sick of also-ran talent in charge. The city deserves the best - people who budget three years out, are willing to stand up to unions, are willing to get costs in line. And sometimes, to attract the right people, you gotta pay for them. A great strategy is to eliminate someone and then take part of their salary and give it to the remaining team members to say, "yes, you're getting additional work, but you're also getting paid more."

The people he appoints should be working at minimum salaries, something like $40-50K with an incentive bonus to be paid after 3-4 years if they actually make the city better and start increasing the tax base by bringing businesses and residents back. No measurable improvement, no bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    That's not how it works. A huge proportion of compensation consists of benefits, many of which are affected by salary.
    Your hypothetical scenario isn't close to revenue-neutral
    And Bing campaigned on a "no-salary" pledge, not a "salary distributed to other city workers" pledge.
    Oh I don't really disagree with you...just saying, a 10 k or 12k yearly bump to an appointee or 10 could be absorbed/mostly offset by the 180k [[x4 if he's elected to a full term). The article was just talking about the pay...not the bennies. My question on the pay raises is what "private sector" jobs or public sector jobs are competing for these political re-treads that justifies the bump in pay for the retention? I mean I could see if these folks were the product of a nation-wide talent search and/or were renowned experts with gigs lined up all over and needed to be lured here with extra money. But best as I can tell, they're just the same also-rans that have been around for years.

Buy American Guest

"What you will get [[and this is subjective, granted) is someone who works smarter or has more respect."

You can apply that same stragedy to the employees can't you. A little incentive goes a long way in production. Ask for cuts in low salaries already, ask for cuts in benefits, which are cut to the bone already, and what do you get....poor production from people who are sick of working for a city where the big shots get the bennies and big bucks to sit behind a desk [[or are not there at all) and collect and the peons get the leftovers....not a good sceneario.

Bing is not the first Mayor to [[seemingly at least) employ this strategy:

You know your appointees are going to have to take the same 10% pay cut the employees take. You move your appointees [[at least the ones you care about) to the highest possible salary. The 10% cut is taken off of that and leaves them pretty close to where they were originally.

Kilpatrick did the same thing when he imposed the 10% pay cut on employees.

I would have more respect for the idea of giving them the bonus after they show some accomplishment. Employees have to have a performance appraisal done before they get an increase. Unless someone has stopped that practice for everyone, then it should apply to everyone. I agree with Buy American. Why is it good to pay to retain talented executives but talented employees should understand your financial difficulties and be willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Why is it good to pay to retain talented executives but talented employees should understand your financial difficulties and be willing to sacrifice?
    It isn't necessarily. But it's the same line that gives anti-union, pro-plutocrat types a hard-on, and most other people roll over when they hear it. I think the subtext is that they're the supermen and we're the poor slobs who are lucky to have any job at all.

I loved the comment, "political retreads". It seems so appropriate. As a city resident, I am not in the mood to play "Bing-o". During Mr Cockrels brief tenure as mayor he showed more leadership than we have seen in a long time. His appointments were excellent. All seem to be negated now. Bing's top talent just seems to be a reprise of the same old, same old. I see no vision.

Also as a resident, I have seen city workers who are amazing and of course some fools. I would be unhappy to see unions give consessions if "top" management doesn't. I am not a union worker and never have been. I support union efforts however to protect jobs. Bingo should just go!

cheddar bob Guest

You really don't like Bing, do you Buy American [[and by Buy American, I mean only buy the American things that I feel are worthwhile to buy that are American made, certainly not computers which I have had the opportunity to "Buy American" but chose not to)?

Well folks, 74% of lost Detroiters voted for him and we have to deal with it. You call still get rid of him on the next general election come November.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Ya' can't make cuts for everybody else and give raises to your buddies.

http://freep.com/article/20090817/NE...ses-under-Bing

Feikens? How can he still be alive? He was half dead the last time I saw him nearly 15 years ago.
    The judge is indeed alive.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    You really don't like Bing, do you Buy American [[and by Buy American, I mean only buy the American things that I feel are worthwhile to buy that are American made, certainly not computers which I have had the opportunity to "Buy American" but chose not to)?
    I don't like any politician who puts his cronies first and the employees second. I'm sick of the same ole same ole.....you know what I mean?

Cheddar, you've got to get over me, I'm not your type.

cheddar bob Guest

I don't like any politician who puts his cronies first and the employees second. I'm sick of the same ole same ole.....you know what I mean?

Cheddar, you've got to get over me, I'm not your type.
    Implying that someone has a homosexual crush on you because they point out your hypocrisy is a little weird, don't you think? It certainly does nothing to take away from the fact that you've demonstrated yourself to be a hypocrite.

Buy American Guest

Simply saying Cheddar that you follow me everywhere I go on this forum with smart ass remarks and you really should get over it. I won't get into a pissing match with you because frankly I don't give a damn. Oh, incidentally....out of a job yet?

cheddar bob Guest

Simply saying Cheddar that you follow me everywhere I go on this forum with smart ass remarks and you really should get over it. I won't get into a pissing match with you because frankly I don't give a damn. Oh, incidentally....out of a job yet?
    If I've "followed you everywhere" you go this forum, then it shouldn't be a problem to provide a few examples. That is unless you're full of shit and outright lying. I can think of about three times I've ever addressed you directly [[this time is probably four).

It just seems that someone that went so far as to pick the screen name "Buy American" would be more receptive to do doing something like......oh, I don't know....like buying American.

But you don't and that is hypocrisy.

Guys, take it outside into the parking lot. Not here.

Back to the issue at hand: Whether or not these salaries are justified or not, it still stinks. Since he's battling the ghosts of the Kilpatrick administration, the appearance of impropriety needs to be taken seriously. Mr. Bing, please don't give us a reason to sniff around, not after what we've just been through.

Buy American Guest

Got sidetracked by a little annoyance.

Bing's true colors are coming to the surface and I certainly hope the people who are working for the City of Detroit and the taxpayers who are paying huge taxes will show their displeasure in November.