Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Brewster-Wheeler, Eastern Market, Brush Park plan increases to $416.6 mil 1,037 units

More good Detroit news. Crain's reports that the planned project for the former Brewster-Douglass project and three sites in Eastern Market and Brush Park [aka Douglass-Market Transformation Plan] has increased from $267 million to $416.6 million, a 56 percent spike.

Name:  brewster-pano.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  brewster-detail.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  76.8 KB

Snippet of the details. Note commitment of lower income housing.
    1,037 residential units are planned; the city said in May that 900 to 1,000 units were expected as part of the redevelopment.

Instead of three separate sites, the plan now includes four:

The 22-acre Brewster-Douglass site, which is planned for 850 residential units, the majority of which would be rentals, although for-sale townhouses could be part of the mix. It would include 224 public housing replacement units. The site would include 13,400 square feet of neighborhood retail space, plus community and social services space.

A site at 3480 Russell St. in Eastern Market would have 71 Low Income Housing Tax Credit and market-rate apartments, 24 of which would be live-work units. The project would include 12,000 square feet of first-floor retail space and a 9,000-square-foot light-industrial building that would make possible an expansion of the proposed Detroit Regional Food Accelerator.

The open-air Shed 4 site in Eastern Market would be enclosed and 20,000 square feet of commercial space, plus 62 workforce and market-rate apartments, would be added on upper floors.

A property at 124 Alfred St. in Brush Park would be developed with a 54-unit age-restricted building with eight public housing replacement units.

d'oh i posted 2 min too late. lowell can you please merge or delete my thread!

Wow. Brush Park is going to be a completely different place in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Wow. Brush Park is going to be a completely different place in five years.
    Yeah. Radically different. If i'm counting right, there are now around 2,000 new units in the Brush Park area planned within 5 years.

I'm relieved that the Brewster-Douglass site, as well as Brush Park plans as whole are striving to be a truly urban neighborhood filled with contemporary architecture. It's great for appearances and perceptions but also for the sustainability of Downtown and Midtown retail/commercial sector, as population density is crucial to the survival of restaurants and shops [[especially retail that caters to everyday needs, something Downtown has been missing for ages). Momentum really is building.

I was looking forward to this before, now even more. Especially the live/work spaces near Eastern Market. I'm really happy people are thinking about how to build integrated neighborhoods and variety. Best of luck to them.
    Last edited by bust; September-12-16 at 03:13 PM.

[] Will people work there?

[] Will people live there?

If one of the above boxes are checked proceed with God speed.