Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Downtown Ferndale Reminisce: What was there? 1970s-90s

In a rapidly changing downtown, I find it very difficult to keep track of businesses of the past...hoping a rousing thread will help stimulate my memory / imagination. I'll start with the old F & M [[when it was on the south side of 9) anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by coloroflaw View Post
    In a rapidly changing downtown, I find it very difficult to keep track of businesses of the past...hoping a rousing thread will help stimulate my memory / imagination. I'll start with the old F & M [[when it was on the south side of 9) anyone remember?
    Yes. My grandma lived in Ferndale and we took her there. Sam's Jams was my favorite Ferndale business.

Was one of those who was sad when that F&M closed. A nearby
    restaurant in the 70's was named Wen-R-Bun in my recollection.

What was there in Downtown Ferndale in the 1970s

1. FEDERALS DEPT. STORE
    2. F.W. WOOLWORTH
    3. MORE MOM AND POPS STORES.

What is today in Downtown Ferndale in 2016.

1. JUNK AND POP ART STORE THAT ONLY OPENS IN THE WEEKEND.
    2. BARS AND RESTAURANTS THAT LOOKS CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN ROYAL OAK.
    3. A LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL AND TRANSGENDER CLUB.

It least it's not Detroit.

Danny I think you're selling Fernie a bit short. There are for example three specialty markets, one, Natural Food Patch being a staple for many years. Additionally there's a grocery store, post office and many varied shops including a pretty cool record store and other merchants open thru the entire week.

I lived in Ferndale for about a month during the trials of Budzyn and Nevers. After having been attacked in my out neighborhood twice the previous year, seen what had happened in L.A. after Rodney King, and started seeing graffiti promising race wars as a response to the trial, I did the cowardly thing and hid there for a while.

I didn't like it at all.

Sam's Jams was the only place I liked about Ferndale. I bought my first Brubeck CD there, and once me and my friends were flying on acid and stopped in there. While they were buying new stuff by En Vogue and Cypress Hill, I was getting used tapes of Throbbing Gristle and Eno/Byrne.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pL...bMlM1fZj0UjGSg

ferndale in the late l960s had a Sanders, A&P, Winkelman's women's clothing, Neisners, Kresge's, Farmer Jacks, a florist by the A&P, a jewelry store among others

I remember the first area Thai food place there in the mid 80s across the street from Sam's Jams. I want to say the place was called Bangkok Express, but I can't remember if that's correct. It was on the north side of 9 Mile a couple doors east of F & M. You entered from the back of the restaurant. There were only 6 tables. You ordered at the counter and sat down if you wanted to stay. Most of it was carry out though. I always loved making the trip to Sam's Jams for some records & then getting some carry out Thai.

I remember, too, the Gap on the NW corner of 9 Mile & Woodward, which eventually turned into a Gap Outlet store in the 90s.

Glad one of my favorite stores is in Ferndale, that would be the Western Market. They carry a lot of items you can't find at other stores. Don't know how long it's been there, but my Mom turned me on to it over 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-12-16 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Sam's Jams was the only place I liked about Ferndale....
    It was my favorite store there too. I remember with regret the time some friends and I went there and I only had enough money to buy one record. I almost spent it on Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising. I still think it's their best album. I'm not sure what I bought instead. It wasn't until a couple years later that I finally bought it, on CD.

I liked Rialto's and Paperback's Unlimited.
    Good place to get a decent meal and great
    book store with good selection of magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It was my favorite store there too. I remember with regret the time some friends and I went there and I only had enough money to buy one record. I almost spent it on Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising. I still think it's their best album. I'm not sure what I bought instead. It wasn't until a couple years later that I finally bought it, on CD.

Name:  Rialtos big.jpg
Views: 4165
Size:  123.5 KB
    Rialtos

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Name:  Rialtos big.jpg
Views: 4165
Size:  123.5 KB
    Rialtos
    Loved Rialto; I even went there AFTER the shoot out

I'd add Falvey Motors, but that was a block or so off downtown. The Good Housekeeping Shop, The RB Shop, Gluckman's Jewelers, Thom Mcan Shoes, Hack's Shoes [[my first job) Tip Top Diner, Professional Arts Pharmacy, Cunninghams, AD Camera, Fannie Farmer Candies nd many others were active into the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Shame. Sonic Youth was the Shizz. After Goo came out, I went out and bought Daydream Nation from the Record Collector in Livonia [[which ironically was closer to my area in Old Redford, and much later on moved to Ferndale). I was the envy of a lot of folks who liked that album. All those releases by them prior to Dirty were amazing albums [[including Ciccone Youth).

Wow, very cool picture. Where did you find this? Anyone else have any pictures other than from that one Flickr account?

Gotham City Cafe, early 90s on Woodward near 9 mi. I think it was next to an Elk's lodge or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I remember the first area Thai food place there in the mid 80s across the street from Sam's Jams. I want to say the place was called Bangkok Express, but I can't remember if that's correct.
    It's still there. Decor hasn't changed since the 80s either.

Once upon a time, the Loving Touch wasn't a hipster bar.
    Name:  lt.JPG
Views: 3862
Size:  61.7 KB

Higgins Pontiac west side of Woodward north of Nine Mile

Okay. I saw some old feller driving a Dodge convertible from the 40s on Main St. a few years back. Stopped at a light, I asked him if it was made in Hamtramck [[naturally). He shot back, "it sure was, and I bought it brand new at Hodges for Dodges."

Which leads to the question, any relation to the Suburu dealership? Which might seem like a silly question, but I'm old enough now to know that these places keep the names even after they move out of the city and change ownership. Anyone?

^^ I'm pretty sure it was a Dodge dealership first, Hodges. Then Subaru. Can't comfirm though.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Higgins Pontiac west side of Woodward north of Nine Mile
    Wasn't it Royal Pontiac in the early 60's? In later years, I remember it was Belcastro Pontiac, possibly after Higgins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Okay. I saw some old feller driving a Dodge convertible from the 40s on Main St. a few years back. Stopped at a light, I asked him if it was made in Hamtramck [[naturally). He shot back, "it sure was, and I bought it brand new at Hodges for Dodges."

Which leads to the question, any relation to the Suburu dealership? Which might seem like a silly question, but I'm old enough now to know that these places keep the names even after they move out of the city and change ownership. Anyone?
    The Subaru dealership used to be Hodge's Dodges back in the 60's. A friend bought a Plymouth Duster there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast