Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Toronto Star hypes Detroit!

A newly published love letter from The Toronto Star.

https://www.thestar.com/life/travel/...ack-story.html

It's a nice write-up but it takes a lot more than artists for a city to thrive. [[And I say that as an artist.) And that quote that Detroit "is a blank canvas" really made me cringe. That's so wrong headed it's offensive. This city has a long and rich history and a native population that often stretches back many generations. Detroit might be a canvas in transition but it is FAR from a blank canvas.

I cringed at the same line. I wish people would stop saying that, it ignores those who have been here and what generations have built. Nobody would have any interest at all in Detroit if it wasn't for what this city already has.

The blank canvas almost wants us to read "clean slate", which is bothersome to anyone allergic to kleeshays. All these articles repeat the same BS with little variation, like so much vinyl dropped on suburbia.

Ya know.. I have always heard the "blank canvas" statement as a positive, but you have all changed my opinion. Thank you.. Learning!

Aw c'mon. Learn to take a compliment, even an awkward one. Remember the bad old days when the articles were about our problems. When I get a compliment, especially if awkward or excessive, I like to say, "I'll give you exactly 30 minutes to stop saying that!"

Articles like these encourage tourism and help Windsor as a residential destination. It's another step toward the positive imaging we need.

I'm with Lowell on this one. It's a positive article about the growing art scene in the D that's in the TRAVEL section of Canada's 2nd largest paper. Thanks to Canadian Visitor for sharing the link.

Name:  2016-09-12 14.45.31.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  90.5 KB I think what bothers me the most is it's not even an outsider saying it but a tour guide from here[[I'm guessing not Detroit proper) feeding this bs to outsiders. Not cool.

Culturally cool Corktown is fully hipster. Ha CTY is a hipster.

I think it was a nice write up,just showcasing one positive aspect among many,a lot of it has the ambiance of the history of the city,which makes a case to stop leveling it and use it in a positive way.