Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Apple Orchard in Detroit with a Cider Mill?

I like the idea but doesn't this beg the question about agriculture policy in the city. I recall that Hantz farm couldn't do something similar and could only grow timber trees. Then came Shar House's Recovery Park in the other direction. Maybe not-for-profit service agency's get a pass? Thoughts or Explantions?

"The group [Wolverine Human Services] is taking 11 acres of vacant land near their
    "Bring new life into a neighborhood for people that are used to an apple orchard experience and culture for them to come experience it a new way."

The land will house about 4,000 honey crisp apple trees.

It will cost more than a million dollars and the lot will look like a vineyard.

"Fully irrigated with the drip system and we will hopefully have a cider mill and donuts as well," he explained. "So, we plan to make this a fully, fun, family event, as well as a great community support system."

http://www.wxyz.com/news/vacant-land...ard-in-detroit

A cider mill isn't a cider mill without a water wheel to press the apples.... and any rivers in the city have long ago been turned into drains....

^^^ Ah yes, a water source does make for the real deal it seems... Franklin Cider mill time coming soon!

Hattie M. Carstens Elementary School is the backdrop for that video.

I went there as well as my two brothers and our mother before us. Mrs. Stapleton was my 5th grade teacher and Mrs. Edgerton was 6th grade - my mother had those same two teachers. Mr. Huxley taught Science and I still remember how we learned to make a primitive sextant to find latitude.

Now the area is an Urban Prairie and not one home exists on my old block. I hope they have a much better time of getting approval for their plan than the unnecessary roadblocks imposed on Hantz Farms. Locavore is good, isn't it?

Great ideal. Detroit needs a cider mill. At least there lots of land that nobody wants to be turn into farmland. Detroit does not need more demand for fancy suburban-esque housing.