Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Ashton Detroit Luxury Condos Development

Wow.. Things are really heating up Downtown! New condo construction!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...roit/89964122/

One thing that really stands out to me is how far west this is and how close to the Greyhound station it is. If financing was able to come by for this development, who knows what we could see closer to the core if condo development begins to heat up. The proximity to the Greyhound station is interesting to me just due to the fact that generally in major cities around the country, these stations are in deadzones. Or create deadzones, depending upon how you look at it.
    Last edited by rbdetsport; September-07-16 at 01:50 PM.

Nice to see development on the west end. Also good to see that he has a proven track record in downtown developments.

For me, given the part of town that this will inhabit, it points to bigger things in the more popular parts of downtown and the riverfront. Hopefully Hudson's will be announced soon and then you will see things begin to snowball with people wanting to meet the residential demand.

Curious whom are the target audience for this luxury condo building?

well i'm so glad we're ignoring the street level and keeping everyone up in their ivory tower...the lack of detail doesn't inspire much hope for this one.

http://www.ashtondetroit.com/

I want one of these. Somebody front me the money.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    well i'm so glad we're ignoring the street level and keeping everyone up in their ivory tower...the lack of detail doesn't inspire much hope for this one.

http://www.ashtondetroit.com/

My reaction as well. Nice project, and great for the city BUT one big problem....

And yes, I know it says first floor retail, but it sure looks pretty disappointing for the ground floor usage in the rendering. Ground level parking included it appears.

Hopefully those signing off on the permits take note of this and require better street level uses. Detroit shouldn't have to settle for bad planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I want one of these. Somebody front me the money.
    Why? If I were living downtown this would be near the bottom of my list of preferred locations. By the way, does anybody know if condos above a parking deck is a way to get around the ground floor retail rules?

Nice to see them just finding a lot to buy and building on it. I'm also assuming based on the rendering that whatever they're doing with the art deco building it won't be affecting the exterior on 3rd, but the article says ground floor retail which I'm assuming is there, so maybe they'll be modifying the facade after all.

I agree that having something better at ground level on the new portion would be better but then again on literally the entire stretch of 3rd street downtown there's not a single building with an engaging ground floor except for maybe a tiny bar and possibly the church. Most of the buildings are parking garages and utilitarian buildings. The west side of downtown has a weird assortment of buildings.

One thing that's for sure is that the building is very shiny.
    Last edited by Jason; September-07-16 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Nice to see them just finding a lot to buy and building on it. I'm also assuming based on the rendering that whatever they're doing with the art deco building it won't be affecting the exterior on 3rd, but the article says ground floor retail which I'm assuming is there, so maybe they'll be modifying the facade after all.

I agree that having something better at ground level on the new portion would be better but then again on literally the entire stretch of 3rd street downtown there's not a single building with an engaging ground floor except for maybe a tiny bar and possibly the church. Most of the buildings are parking garages and utilitarian buildings. The west side of downtown has a weird assortment of buildings.

One thing that's for sure is that the building is very shiny.

I agree there is not much street level activity on that side of downtown, and off the go, whatever ground floor retail is included is probably going to have a tough go to make any profit.

That being said, you have to start somewhere. If the downtown boom continues, eventually it is going to spread to west downtown. And if you let this development get away without it, you start a bad precedent with the next development who could then also argue why they should provide unprofitable ground floor retail when there is still little other retail nearby.

Even if it is just vacant storefronts [[ala Book Cadillac Garage) that sits for years, that is okay because eventually the street activity will get to a point where it is profitable when other developments follow. But again, you have to start somewhere... and starting with a ground floor garage is not going to cut it.

Maybe this is just an early rendering. Let's hope at least. I thought ground floor parking garages were banned in the central business district.

Given that it's says it will include retail, what exactly are we complaing about?
    Last edited by MSUguy; September-07-16 at 07:32 PM.

As a fan of Detroit and owner occupied housing this is great news. I agree it should have plenty of ground floor commercial space as well as be about 7 stories higher...

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Given that it's says it will include retail, what exactly are we complaing about?
    Apparently folks that just because the picture doesn't zoom in on the retail areas it must mean they are lying about including it.

My first thought after reading the article was, "There's one that won't get built."

At last Corktown is getting something that hasn't been done in 100 years. Bring young professionals living back to where it used to be a place where bums and wild animals used to live.

Now we need some retail long W. Fort St and folks will be able to shop til they drop. It least they have WCCCD to go to learn.

Nothing better illustrates the macroeconomic and demographic trends shaping Detroit than two essays in the morning papers. The News has a front page story about a gentleman who owns a home on the West Side that the assessor thinks would sell for $5400. But he owes $6000 in back taxes so he might lose his home. The Freep has a front page story about the planned new $35 million condo building at Howard and Third – an area that some of us thought might never see major residential investments.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Nothing better illustrates the macroeconomic and demographic trends shaping Detroit than two essays in the morning papers. The News has a front page story about a gentleman who owns a home on the West Side that the assessor thinks would sell for $5400. But he owes $6000 in back taxes so he might lose his home. The Freep has a front page story about the planned new $35 million condo building at Howard and Third – an area that some of us thought might never see major residential investments.
    Or some might say, "The Two Detroits."

Can parts of the city grow and begin to flourish while other parts continue to languish?

Anyone with a good knowledge of Detroit can write either of these two stories.

Do they need to grow [[or decline) in tandem?

Can a city have a strong, growing downtown but have languishing neighborhoods?
    Last edited by emu steve; September-08-16 at 09:15 AM.

I don't think this project is going anywhere soon. On the TV last night they said they wouldn't start construction until 50% of the units are committed. Let's not forget ,just a few blocks away, the Book Cadillac still hasn't sold all of it's "luxury" condos.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    I don't think this project is going anywhere soon. On the TV last night they said they wouldn't start construction until 50% of the units are committed. Let's not forget ,just a few blocks away, the Book Cadillac still hasn't sold all of it's "luxury" condos.
    I totally agree, the television segment said they will start around 500,000, no market for that yet in that area, too far from the core, few amenities.
    Possibly in midtown or. Downtown near Woodward but not westwards yet.
    50% pre commitment requirement will be very difficult to attain for this project at this price point, it would have to be in the 200s starting ,, in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Maybe this is just an early rendering. Let's hope at least. I thought ground floor parking garages were banned in the central business district.
    The law has variances that developers can ask for. Such as the entire first floor doesn't have to be all retail/commercial space. When the Detroit Opera House was built a few years back, they got a variance to have all the retail on the Broadway side in what appears to be a 2 story addition, which is all commercial space to the right [[in the middle of this image).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...487128!6m1!1e1

Unfortunately in the this instance the street level parking area on the back [[Centre St.) does nothing to help Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley. Centre St. is now a dead zone for pedestrians, except for the inhabitants of the former Milner Apts.

So the entire first floor of The Ashton does not necessarily have to be commercial space if some other variance is proposed by the developer and agreed to by the city.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-08-16 at 10:40 AM.

I suppose any ground floor parking could be converted to retail space if demand was overwhelming. Right or not?

That location is in a rather dull area and doesn't seem to benefit from many interesting vistas.

Nice to see the fish biting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I suppose any ground floor parking could be converted to retail space if demand was overwhelming. Right or not?

That location is in a rather dull area and doesn't seem to benefit from many interesting vistas.

Nice to see the fish biting nonetheless.
    I agree it is a dull area, so overall it is still a positive to have the development. Even if they just raised the whole design one floor for ground level retail, I would be continent.

In most instances with ramps, ground floor parking cannot easily be converted to retail because:
    1- The height of many parking garage floors [[say 7 to 8 ft) is much lower than what retail space would need [[10 ft min height, preferably more).
    2- Often the parking being removed is along the "route" for vehicles traveling through the ramp to get to the upper floors of parking. Hence replacing the "route" with retail blocks vehicles from accessing and parking on the upper parking floors. Obviously this condition depends on the ramp design, but in most cases this is what would happen.

While I agree that this is somewhat of a dead zone between the CBD and Corktown, the main core is pretty much eaten up. Sooner or later developers are going to have to start expanding north and west. This could be the first on many over in that area. That entire area is going to get a complete overhaul, starting with the JLA and JLA parking garage developments. That should start a wave building out from there toward DTE and MGM campus's.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I agree it is a dull area, so overall it is still a positive to have the development. Even if they just raised the whole design one floor for ground level retail, I would be continent.

In most instances with ramps, ground floor parking cannot easily be converted to retail because:
    1- The height of many parking garage floors [[say 7 to 8 ft) is much lower than what retail space would need [[10 ft min height, preferably more).
    2- Often the parking being removed is along the "route" for vehicles traveling through the ramp to get to the upper floors of parking. Hence replacing the "route" with retail blocks vehicles from accessing and parking on the upper parking floors. Obviously this condition depends on the ramp design, but in most cases this is what would happen.
    God forbid you should become incontinent on account of what you just described.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast