Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood to get National Treasure status

I always thought this neighborhood had great potential, being along the river and with the stability of Grosse Pointe adjacent. Hopefully this will send it into overdrive.

"The National Trust for Historic Preservation is to announce this morning that the Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood on Detroit's far east side has been designated a National Treasure.

This will be Michigan's first National Treasure, and just one of 70 in the United States.

The Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood, with residential and commercial buildings built primarily in the 1920s, runs along East Jefferson Avenue from Alter Road to Conner Avenue.

The designation means the neighborhood will have the attention and resources of the national organization to preserve and improve its buildings, said Mary Lu Seidel, National Trust for Historic Preservation Chicago field director who also is project manager for the Jefferson-Chalmers project."
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...reasure-status

This could help add momentum to saving the Vanity Ballroom being discussed here.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...llroom-Emerges

Name:  jefferson-chalmers-map.png
Views: 2678
Size:  174.6 KB

This is an interesting designation. Didn't the Granholm administration -influenced by Richard Florida - provide some funds to improve East Jefferson in this area. I note that the designation apparently includes the area of Detroit to the east of East Jefferson. This is the area where Mayor Young strongly encouraged the building of large suburban style homes in the days of strict racial residential segregation. I believe there are one or two modest sized gated communities in that area. Not all seemingly beneficial developments in Detroit are occurring in downtown and Midtown.

I grew up in Jeff-Chalmers in the 50's. I drove through there on a recent trip to Michigan since re-locating to another state. I knew things had gotten bad but what I saw was worse that I could have imagined. I hope this is true and it happens soon.

I think the designation is a valiant attempt to save some buildings - but that area really needs new construction. The location is far too isolated to be a destination for anyone living downtown or the Villages, large paths of vacant land surrounding it which don't provide any residents with dollars to support business. Can it work. Yes - but it needs a concentrated efffort of new housing developments to be successful. Plus - I thought I read in the papers earlier this year they were supposed to put a median in from Belle Isle to Jefferson Chalmers. That seems to be another pie in the sky dream that didn't come to fruition.

Josh Elling is doing his best to help the area, he's one of the good ones and doesn't blow smoke or have selfish interests in mind. Keep up the good work Josh

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Plus - I thought I read in the papers earlier this year they were supposed to put a median in from Belle Isle to Jefferson Chalmers. That seems to be another pie in the sky dream that didn't come to fruition.
    Doesn't look pie in the sky to me. The section from Alter to Lakewood was completed last year, with the remainder to be finished in 2017.
    https://goo.gl/maps/ernZ6YFQP642
    Last edited by MSUguy; September-07-16 at 06:13 PM.

Right before the Auto Industry collapse and Subprime Mortgage bubble burst, there was this huge semi-legitimate project proposed to line every single one of those blocks from Kercheval to Jefferson and from Conner to Alter with brand urban-esque housing and commercial structures.

I think it was called the Fox Creek development.

The reason we have those brand new light poles up and down those vacant side streets [[while my densely-populated block has markedly worse lighting under the PLA's lighting plan, go figure) was in anticipation of this big project coming to fruition.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-16 at 07:38 PM.

With all the fanfare over the proposed rehabbing of the Vanity, I have a feeling other buildings such as this gem shown below will be treated like the ugly step sister. I have mixed feelings [[mostly skeptical) about the whoopla with Jefferson-Chalmers.
    One observation with the National Treasure designation. The designation itself seems a bit contrived. Why wasn't the district nominated for the National Register of Historic Places? To me that is the proper designation for the district. I have a feeling that nobody was interested in doing the leg work tor the nomination, and that leaves me wondering what else they are side stepping.

Designed by Pollmar & Ropes. Monticello Ballroom 14421-14429 East Jefferson built in 1928 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My church was located at Jefferson and Chalmers and I still drive past my old neighborhood routinely during the summer. I was driving out Jefferson the other day and always admired a handsome building on the north side of Jefferson at Manistique.

Anyone have history on this building? Somehow I seem to recall that it was a Firestone Tire Center - one of the first investment properties built by Max Fisher. But, it looks much too nice for a tire store.

That was the parish building [[offices, auditorium, gymnasium) for the St Columba Episcopal Church that stands behind it on Manistique. According to this link, the parish closed in 2003.
    http://detroit1701.org/St.%20Columba...l#.V9HRPDV8t9Q

There is another, quite similar [[perhaps by the same architect?) Episcopal parish building out of Grand River.

The Firestone place was on the other side of Manistique.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That was the parish building [[offices, auditorium, gymnasium) for the St Columba Episcopal Church that stands behind it on Manistique. According to this link, the parish closed in 2003.

There is another, quite similar [[perhaps by the same architect?) Episcopal parish building out of Grand River.

It was actually a BF Goodrich place.

Like others I'm uncertain what effect this designation will have in practical terms. But I agree with those who think this is a great area to focus on improving. There are obviously a lot of great old buildings still there, and people who care about the neighborhood. I don't think the intention is to make it a destination so much as a healthier part of the fabric of the city, and a better place to live. Besides its great history, it has the water, and its relatively close proximity to downtown. I'm looking forward to more details, and hoping for the best.
    Last edited by bust; September-08-16 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It was actually a BF Goodrich place.
    313WX - Maybe later, but in the early 60's it was Ned's Firestone. I grew up on Ashland between Jefferson and Kercheval.

Thanks, this all makes sense now.

Jeff Chalmers hasn't been as decimated by demolitions as many other outlying neighborhoods. Some blocks are pretty nice. Others have too many residents who like to park their cars on the front lawn. One asset is that the neighborhood retains more trees than many others. This actually makes a difference. I think there was a community effort to plant trees in the late 60s early 70s after Dutch Elm disease took its toll.

Additional rehabilitation of buildings on E. Jefferson might embolden some reputable flippers to take a flyer on some houses in the neighborhood to get the ball rolling. There is potential for development there like we're seeing on Livernois/6-7 Mile.

For jobs though, Jeff Chalmers is pretty isolated unless your workplace is downtown or eastside Detroit. That hurts its prospects. Thousands of its former residents used to work at the nearby and now long gone Chrysler, Hudson and Continental factories.

ct_alum...do you remember the plane crash on Ashland that happened in the 50's?

Ah, my old college days stomping ground! There's so much beautiful architecture here, both residential and commercial.

There was a beautiful brick and limestone building on the corner of E Jefferson and Alter Rd. that was torn down not too long ago for a parking lot for a business that seems to now be closed. I hope this designation will prevent further blunders like this in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    ct_alum...do you remember the plane crash on Ashland that happened in the 50's?
    Sure do. Was walking down Ashland towards Jefferson when I heard the engine sputtering and saw a fireball go in an arc towards Alter. Went down to the site and collected small parts of the plane and kept them in a paper bag for many years. Biggest piece was about 1" x 6". Back then there was a Fiat dealership on the north-east corner of Ashland & Jefferson with an A&P next to it on Jefferson. I lived at 1146 and went to Ives Elementary on Philip.

I remember it too. I did not see the crash, but I did ride my bike over there the next day and picked up an aluminum shard about the size of a postage stamp.

One guy at school told everyone he found a human finger at the site and what he did was to cut a hole in the bottom of a small cardboard box that had a cover. When he he pulled the box from his pocket he had his middle finger up in the hole and then removed the cover with his other hand. He had all the girls screaming with this trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    ... One guy at school told everyone he found a human finger at the site and what he did was to cut a hole in the bottom of a small cardboard box that had a cover. When he he pulled the box from his pocket he had his middle finger up in the hole and then removed the cover with his other hand. He had all the girls screaming with this trick.
    I remember that trick. You paint your finger so it looks dead and bloody. They think they're looking at a dead finger. Then, suddenly, you move it. Screams ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

That identical building on Grand River and Hubbell was demolished within the last 10 years.

An interesting story about some housing renovation in Jefferson-Chalmers from Curbed today. I love the windows in this house.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/12/5/...rs-for-sale#19

MHPN is working with the Land Bank to find great houses in the neighborhood to rehab. This house on Lakewood was purchased earlier this year, and with its sale, they hope to establish a revolving fund that will go towards future renovations in the neighborhood. MHPN also hosted a Block Build event in the neighborhood, which brought over 100 residents, volunteers, and tradespeople together to do exterior repair on this block.
    I wish there were some pics to show what renovations were done on the block. I note that there is a dumpster in the driveway for the house next door to the one that has been renovated and is for sale; I hope that means a renovation next door as well.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-05-16 at 12:56 PM.

Here's my favorite photo. I especially like the back door addition.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-05-16 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    My church was located at Jefferson and Chalmers and I still drive past my old neighborhood routinely during the summer. I was driving out Jefferson the other day and always admired a handsome building on the north side of Jefferson at Manistique.

Anyone have history on this building? Somehow I seem to recall that it was a Firestone Tire Center - one of the first investment properties built by Max Fisher. But, it looks much too nice for a tire store.
    Designed by Lancelot Sukert. Saint Columba Parish Building 14635 East Jefferson built in 1923 Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from a 1925 Thumb Tack Club of Detroit publication, and an article featuring from a 1922 issue of the Detroit Free Press.