Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Shorpy Gem -- Detroit, 1899

From a rooftop on Woodward Avenue looking nne. Enjoy; I sure did.
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/21261?size=_original#caption

Varavatos store looks busy!

So many trees downtown!

It's interesting to see Central Methodist Church [[on GCP) and St. John's just past it. Although we cannot tell in this image, they are LONGER here, before they had to lose part of their naves to Woodward widening in the 1930s.

I notice that there is a 3rd church with a steeple just beyond that. I wonder if it was lost to the Fisher Freeway or another reason [[fire?).

The image is a little earlier than 1899. Its sometime between 1891 when the Schwankovsky's Temple of Music was built and 1896 when this building was constructed directly across the street from the Temple of Music.

Designed by Donaldson & Meier. 1505 Woodward built in 1896 Lower Woodward Historic District Detroit, MI.

Demolished: 1930
    Razed for the Richman Brothers Company Building.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; September-03-16 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's interesting to see Central Methodist Church [[on GCP) and St. John's just past it. Although we cannot tell in this image, they are LONGER here, before they had to lose part of their naves to Woodward widening in the 1930s. ...
    Name:  Central Methodist Church.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  169.2 KB

This is my favorite picture of Central Methodist Church. It shows the 30 ft. gap caused by the removal of part of the nave before the front was rejoined to the rest of the building.
    Last edited by Neilr; September-03-16 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks Ray. I worked with someone named Fyfe and wonder if he was a descendant of the shoe shop owner.

Great stuff you've added, you guys! Thanks a bundle!

Did you ever shop @ that 5 and dime, Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Did you ever shop @ that 5 and dime, Ray?
    Naw, just stopped in for a Vernor's now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's interesting to see Central Methodist Church [[on GCP) and St. John's just past it. Although we cannot tell in this image, they are LONGER here, before they had to lose part of their naves to Woodward widening in the 1930s.

I notice that there is a 3rd church with a steeple just beyond that. I wonder if it was lost to the Fisher Freeway or another reason [[fire?).
    That was the Woodward Avenue Baptist Church. It burned down in 1986. The townhomes of Woodward Place at Brush Park now take its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    That was the Woodward Avenue Baptist Church. It burned down in 1986. The townhomes of Woodward Place at Brush Park now take its place.
    Thanks Bucket... that link answers an important question.... unlike Central Methodist and St. John, Woodward Baptist had it's great tower razed during the 1930s widening. So it was not recognizable as that 1890s image, when it burned down in 1986.

Sadly.... the 1936 loss of the tower, facade and rose window of the church... was a loss almost equal to the 1986 loss of the entire remaining structure.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-04-16 at 06:50 PM.

Before and after the "Woodward Avenue Chop."
    Attached Images Attached Images    

OMG Detroit was so beautiful. The crap they're building now makes me sick.

Detroit used to be the city of trees: all natural CO2 eliminators. We lost a million trees since 1899.

In this Shorpy shot you can see dozens of the "moonlight" carbon arc light towers that once illuminated Detroit.

Here is an old thread about them:
    Hall of Fame Thread "Moonlight Tower" Carbon-arc Lamps
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-06-16 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Thanks Ray. I worked with someone named Fyfe and wonder if he was a descendant of the shoe shop owner.
    By 1919 Fyfe would build the large building that still stands at Woodward and Adams, containing what they claimed was the world's largest shoe store.

http://detroithistorical.org/learn/e...oit/rh-fyfe-co