Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is Detroit Singles a scam?

Just wondered if anyone has had any dealings with this organization.

Uh, what is Detroit Singles?

It's supposed to be a dating service.

It is a business like anything else,you watch for fake profiles used to draw interest,men pretending to be women,pictures from ten years ago,set up to be robbed,they are all the same.

If you do join first meet in a very public place,meet after phone conversation and within the first couple of contacts,delete them if they start asking for money by the second conversation.Give no personal information until face to face meet.

If you have frequent flyer miles international dating is much more interesting.

Just be carefull.

Hah! What a scene. Rots of RUCK! The disadvantage for the newbie to that stuff is that they're not always aware how long some folks have been trolling a given site unless the person has favorites with a long time profile [[view-able), or maybe they have muilti profiles? Like how long does one stay? I guess long enough to meet that ever-perfect match? Or just to 'date' [[hook ups)?

Yeah, be VERY careful. Meet the person fast, no weeks of texting and what not. That becomes a fake persona 'build'. Then eh, you meet and well!!! A friend of mine met a guy who was totally different in vibe and countenance once met. The weeks of online mean little then!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-16 at 05:18 AM.

So if you're not already wealthy with frequent flier miles you're set up for abject failure with online dating options? Yay, me.. :>[[

Same thing with a group I'll call Oakland Single Campers. Their idea of camping is a luxury class A motorhome, noisy generator, with two Kayaks, and two jet skis. Whoh the lowly guy with only a conversion van, Uber tent, and a canoe. I was told to look elsewhere.

Snobbery in camping. So I went way off grid.

I showed them, my two track bears were the coolest in the area! Shout out to Yogi, and Honey boo boo.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-03-16 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah! What a scene. Rots of RUCK! The disadvantage for the newbie to that stuff is that they're not always aware how long some folks have been trolling a given site unless the person has favorites with a long time profile [[view-able), or maybe they have muilti profiles? Like how long does one stay? I guess long enough to meet that ever-perfect match? Or just to 'date' [[hook ups)?

Yeah, be VERY careful. Meet the person fast, no weeks of texting and what not. That becomes a fake persona 'build'. Then eh, you meet and well!!! A friend of mine met a guy who was totally different in vibe and countenance once met. The weeks of online mean little then!
    The voice of experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    So if you're not already wealthy with frequent flier miles you're set up for abject failure with online dating options? Yay, me.. :>[[

Well,there is always Craigslist for the budget minded,so there is hope after all.

I tried the online dating thing off and on through out the years,but one quickly realizes it is safer and saner to stay single.Or carry a suitcase full of Prozac to the date.

There are other sites that are date n hook up sites that can make for an interesting evening and that compatibility aspect is resolve right away and can lead to long term relationship.It can be agreed to be Dutch situation and most working females prefer to pay thier own way anyways.

It is hard if one works a lot of hours or not really into the club scene etc. to really meet somebody,but you never know,it's kinda like playing the lottery.

^^^ Craigslist! Hah! That is doing it on a budget and bound to draw a heavy level of scammers. Just like their job postings!!

------ Then I met you here and I knew all the fruitless searching was over!

Seriously, it seemed I was the listening ear of several online dater friends -- or witness re. how that first date/ meeting so and so went. As a safety factor. I know of a couple [[who met on an online dating service) just married and doing very well. But I think that's the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The voice of experience?
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-04-16 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ------ Then I met you here and I knew all the fruitless searching was over!

Seriously, it seemed I was the listening ear of several online dater friends -- or witness re. how that first date/ meeting so and so went. As a safety factor. I know of a couple [[who met on an online dating service) just married and doing very well. But I think that's the exception.
    [[Awwwwww, shucks....... )

Back in ancient times, before the internet, and you had to walk over to a phone to answer it, I tried "Classifieds" dating a couple of times. [[no, NOT the Metro Times) Actually, both parties were really nice and seemed "Ok". Went out twice with one. I just didn't feel I had anything strongly in common with either party. Bit of an odd duck I guess.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-05-16 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Same thing with a group I'll call Oakland Single Campers. Their idea of camping is a luxury class A motorhome, noisy generator, with two Kayaks, and two jet skis. Whoh the lowly guy with only a conversion van, Uber tent, and a canoe. I was told to look elsewhere.
    Uber tent - make a call, and someone comes to your campground and puts your tent up for you?

Allegory: I spent four months slaving online to find the right used car to meet a certain criterion and a budget [[lucky to have a family friend who can look under the hood of each prospect and see what is up with it and tell if the on-board computer had been hacked to "bend the truth" on some vitals.) without needing constant maintenance. The places and dealers we went to and some of the crooks on Craigslist pulling one over were abominable. We got bait-n-switched from so many "reputable" big business "would you like some popcorn?" dealers [[and still get desperate check-up emails from them). Yet, many of those crooked dealers had the same entries holding heavy prominence on various popular used car sites. Didn't stop the fact that we ended up with one stupid rattle trap of a Ford.

This only validates what Robert Crumb sadly realized: "Before industrial civilization, local and regional communities made their own music, their own entertainment. The esthetics were based on traditions that went far back in time—i.e. folklore. But part of the con of mass culture is to make you forget history, disconnect you from tradition and the past. Sometimes that can be a good thing. Sometimes it can even be revolutionary. But tradition can also keep culture on an authentic human level, the homespun as opposed to the mass produced. Industrial civilization figured out how to manufacture popular culture and sell it back to the people. You have to marvel at the ingenuity of it! The problem is that the longer this buying and selling goes on, the more hollow and bankrupt the culture becomes. It loses its fertility, like worn out, ravaged farmland. Eventually, the yokels who bought the hype, the pitch, they want in on the game. When there are no more naive hicks left, you have a culture where everybody is conning each other all the time. There are no more earnest "squares" left—everybody's "hip", everybody is cynical."

• The R. Crumb Handbook by Robert Crumb and Peter Poplaski [[2005), p. 180

I say all this because while the internet promises a wondrous playground of opportunities, it seems only to foster an unrestrained and unregulated environment for every loathsome scam artist and bully and liar imaginable on that playground. It's like a tapeworm parasite enlarging to meet the size of it's host [[you can imagine what one in a whale would be like as compared to a flea)....and this isn't simple-minded jenky back-of-the-comic book X-Ray glasses tomfoolery here. Most of the internet sadly sucks compared to what we were promised.

The Op's question is a legitimate one [[as is any "is this a scam?" question about a site online). Yet, the answer is a 98% "yes".

We are all very unique individuals with very intricate and intrinsic tastes-not to mention crucially personal ideologies-that no "man-made" profile test [[no matter how researched and refined) can pin down. Yet, recently there have been some wild changes online where Google, Microsoft, and sites like Reddit, even Kroger are legally murmuring a begrudging disclaimer that you can opt out of having every search or interest online scoped, compiled, and shared with other parties, just so it can be used [["only" we are told) for "better improved commercial marketed aimed at your interests". You got folks on Pinterest griping that it irks them when Pinterest "suggests" images loosely based on things they grabbed.

This all goes back to magazine articles written back in the 90's slamming pizzerias for assuming exactly what you will order next based on some previous purchases that have been computer logged [[or that time Ebay assumed that because of that gaudy Elvis commemorative plate you bought-while holding your nose in disgust-for your dumb aunt to shut her up is a sure indication of your future tastes).

Side-morale here
    : don't let a computer or some profile test from Minnesota or even someone's stubborn judgemental observations of how you were back when determine "who you are" now and the crucial course of your life.

From pizza to Pinterest [[and so on and so on), the other allegorical Major-morale is: if I knocked my buttocks off for 4 months online getting the dying POS I'm driving now, how is the internet going to aid me [[other than maybe tracking those that I met and had a mutual interest in long ago) in finding my genuine love interest? Consider that that is an important and very crucial aspect of one's life not to be taken lightly. It isn't some stupid arrangement that either a religious community, government agency, nor the internet should determine.

If I may preach about something that matters greatly to me: we should never ever marry out of desperation. I find marrying someone you really don't love above anybody else in this world worse a crime than adultery. You are deceiving yourself. You deceive that person and keep them from their best love interest, and that-in turn-robs that interest and who they ended-up settling with, as well, and so on in an aberrant ripple.

I know this invites the prevailing pessimism [[especially in snide ol' Michigan) of "who truly has a perfect and true love", but obviously some relationships were better matched, while others are much, much worse off situations that came together for all the wrong reasons.

Don't stop seeking. Keep looking for that Heart of Gold. Don't be desperate, either. Don't go by the internet or someone's "system". Only take risks in things and by processes that you truly believe in.

And if you need this sermon to end on a bit of light-hearted pop-culture referencing, here is an excerpt from a Simpsons episode that had Marge consider her options at a speed-dating session:

Host: Welcome to speed dating, you exciting lonely people. Every five minutes I'm going to blow this horn and each man will move one table to his left.
    Speed dater: Excuse me, is this how you met your husband?
    Host: No, I met him through friends like a normal person. Now speed date!
    Last edited by G-DDT; September-05-16 at 03:27 PM.

Uber tent - make a call, and someone comes to your campground and puts your tent up for you?
    Two track only. No. something I put up myself. Right room queen size bed. inflatable sofa, table top entertainment center with DVD.

Center room walk through. Right room garage for 2wd 4 motorcycle batterie boonie bike.

Tent screened in front porch for two lounge chairs with tote.

Bears were amazed.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-06-16 at 02:37 AM.