Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default End of World War 2 anniversary today.

When this date rolls around I think about my dad and his 4 brothers surviving the war. I also think about a friend whom I worked for who told me after serving in Europe and getting orders to report stateside for refitting and training for the anticipated invasion of Japan. He said when the word came down that the war in the Pacific was also over, he sat down and cried. I asked him if he did because he was happy. He said no, he did it because he knew he would live. Rest in peace, Art.

Big Thanx to your family for stepping up to the plate and serving, lpg. Something you should be proud of.

My dad was a soft spoken war hero from WWII. Many thanks to those 17 to 20 something boys.

10's of thousands died for us .

And you, Stonefront, and the others for your duty. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-03-16 at 06:53 PM.

I knew a guy that marched in front of a British platoon with bagpipes in Tripoli in WWIIi. He and the bagpipes were shot up.

They surprised him in the hospital with a brand new set of pipes.

Scottish forever.

Great Great grandfather

Great grandfather

Grandfather

Father

Brother and me. [[in country and Vietnam era).

We are the last in this family to have had a dog in this fight.

To the next generation - salute.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Big Thanx to your family for stepping up to the plate and serving, lpg. Something you should be proud of.
    Very proud of them. Dad was on Okinawa awaiting orders when Japan surrendered.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Very proud of them. Dad was on Okinawa awaiting orders when Japan surrendered.
    They heard he was coming and knew he wasn't playin'...